Advice WRX 2002 ECU Remap?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2010, 07:17 PM
G20NEY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice WRX 2002 ECU Remap?

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on what to buy next or when to start remapping my vehicle

I currently have done the following:

Full 3" decat exhaust (Turbo back)
Bailey Dump Valve
FMIC (being fitted soon, have read a remap needs doing quickly after is this right?)
Walbro 255 fuel pump (being fitted soon)
Fuel regulator (getting one soon)

Is this enough to start thinking about a remap or is there a lot more to do?

Any advice offered is appreciated.

Also I have a standard WRX full exhaust with TSL Group N backbox. any idea what it is worth as I will advertise that on here soon?

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance
Old 10 March 2010, 07:23 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A FMIC isn't a neccessary expense you need to go to, as your std fit TD04 turbo will make in the region of 280bhp... well within the limits of your TMIC.

FMIC, for sure, will future proof you for more power later on, of course. It'll also lower the inlet charge temps (after remap of course) - which would still be worthwhile doing, if you like to hoon for extended periods. But, ultimately, prob not required (re the expense/hassle) if you don't intend to change to bigger turbo/injectors, etc....

Last edited by joz8968; 10 March 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10 March 2010, 07:34 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G20NEY
Is this enough to start thinking about a remap or is there a lot more to do?

Any advice offered is appreciated.
Don't bother with the FMIC, it'll cause more problems than it solves at your current power level. As Joz says if you have plans for a bigger turbo in future you can start to think about changing when you're knocking on the 330bhp+ level but short of that you'd be better off with what you've got.

Fit a good quality panel filter (K&N/Green/Cosworth) and refit the standard recirculating dumpvalve (buy one on eBay if your car came fitted with the Bailey), your engine will run better.

Also, if you haven't done so already, get shot of the cat-equipped up-pipe and replace either with a catless STi or classic one, or Harvey's small diameter TD04-optimised replacement. If you're going to do this you might also want to think about ported exhaust manifolds as part of the same job. You could spend the money on those that you would have on the FMIC.

Also I have a standard WRX full exhaust with TSL Group N backbox. any idea what it is worth as I will advertise that on here soon?
Is this off your own car? Before you sell it, have you given any consideration to how you'll get your car through an MOT emissions test with a full decat exhaust? May be better to keep at least some of it hanging around.