Notices

misfireing impreza

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2010, 12:06 AM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfireing impreza

well it never rains it pours eh ! first my baby coughs out smoke, so today i get my turbo to replace to see it that cures it, im on the way home boosting nicely up a hill when it starts to pop and fart feels like its running on 3 cylinders, ive had experience of coil packs failing on other cars this feels very much the same, am i right in thinking disconnect ht leads one at a time to work out which coil pack, are they interchangable, can i swap one for another to check and double check its the coil pack ? are the coil packs on each spark plug , or is the coil pack a complete pack that sits on top of the engine block looking expensive with all the ht leads coming out of it ?
bloody thing... but im sure itll bring a wry smile to my face when i get the coil pack changed, and me new turbo on, with no smoke ( fingers crossed )
they look a pig to get to incidently, but im sure if i take it slowly and remove all the bits around it ill get in there somehow !
CARS A 1999 classic impreza

like this

or this

Last edited by mossi; 05 March 2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:23 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If a 99-00MY Impreza has dropped onto three cylinders, it is less than likely that the coilpack is at fault. These cars use a twin coil wasted spark ignition setup so if one coil fails it'll drop onto two cylinders rather than three. It's possible that a break inside the pack could affect one side's output, and it's also possible that an HT lead has broken, but while you test these possibilities make sure you're considering others.

You can swap one coilpack for another - provided you can find another 99/00/5/6 one to try. If you're going to pull the HT leads make sure you do it at the plug rather than manifold end or the visual effects will likely be interesting.

Not sure what you mean by the pack looking a "pig to get to". Perched on top of the inlet manifold it couldn't be that much easier to change.

As above it would also be worthwhile you being aware of other possible causes for the issues you're experiencing. It might yet turn out that you've blown a cylinder tonight - and that the smoke you were seeing before was a precursor to it.

Hopefully that won't turn out to be the case, but all the same it's something you have to be aware of. If the ignition system checks out, the next thing to try would probably be a compression test - during which, of course, you'll be able to carry out a close examination of the spark plugs.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:27 AM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If a 99-00MY Impreza has dropped onto three cylinders, it is less than likely that the coilpack is at fault. These cars use a twin coil wasted spark ignition setup so if one coil fails it'll drop onto two cylinders rather than three. It's possible that a break inside the pack could affect one side's output, and it's also possible that an HT lead has broken, but while you test these possibilities make sure you're considering others.

You can swap one coilpack for another - provided you can find another 99/00/5/6 one to try. If you're going to pull the HT leads make sure you do it at the plug rather than manifold end or the visual effects will likely be interesting.

Not sure what you mean by the pack looking a "pig to get to". Perched on top of the inlet manifold it couldn't be that much easier to change.

As above it would also be worthwhile you being aware of other possible causes for the issues you're experiencing. It might yet turn out that you've blown a cylinder tonight - and that the smoke you were seeing before was a precursor to it.

Hopefully that won't turn out to be the case, but all the same it's something you have to be aware of. If the ignition system checks out, the next thing to try would probably be a compression test - during which, of course, you'll be able to carry out a close examination of the spark plugs.
So the coil pack is the unit on top of the engine ? theres not individual coil packs on each spark plug! first thing ill try then is the HT leads, oddly enough the engine managment warning lights not come on, I always found this would come on when a coil pack went on other vehicles..

the HT leads are they just standard leads, no need for fancy heat sheilding or such like ?
thanks

Last edited by mossi; 05 March 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:43 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mossi
So the coil pack is the unit on top of the engine ? theres not individual coil packs on each spark plug!
Correct, the coilpack looks like the upper of the two pictures you posted.

oddly enough the engine managment warning lights not come on, I always found this would come on when a coil pack went on other vehicles..
It won't on your car - there isn't an error code for for coil failure and again in any case it's always possible that there's another explanation anyway.

What are the exact symptoms you're experiencing now? Is it permanently missing one cylinder or is the problem intermittent? Have you disconnected one or other of the cylinder head oil breathers to see if there's a lot of oil vapour coming out of them?

the HT leads are they just standard leads, no need for fancy heat sheilding or such like ?
Not sure what you mean by "need for fancy heat shielding". Are you asking about buying replacements, or...?
Old 05 March 2010, 08:21 AM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Just been out and removed the ht leads one at a time from the coil pack, theres a healthy spark coming from each of the 4 pins on the coil pack..
its not intermittent, it started last night on driving home, and has stayed since, for about a mile coming home, then again this morning just been out to start her up and is doing the same, just feels like 3 cylinders on my wagon..
I will nip to local car parts store this morning , buy a set of ht leads and try that as my first call, its the cheapest option for starters.. then move on from there.. spark plugs ? I will try to call my local garage in Hartly Wintney but as all good garages are like doctors you cant just call on the morning and hope to get a appointment ! will prob be next week, which is often too late, as i need the car for daily use to work and back..

any other helpfull advice ?

thanks
Old 05 March 2010, 11:00 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try removing the HT leads from the plug ends and check for the health of the spark at that end too...
Old 05 March 2010, 12:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mossi
theres a healthy spark coming from each of the 4 pins on the coil pack..
its not intermittent, just feels like 3 cylinders on my wagon..
Uh-oh.

I will nip to local car parts store this morning , buy a set of ht leads and try that as my first call, its the cheapest option for starters..
The cheapest option is probably a compression tester. TBH there's not a lot of point replacing the HT leads speculatively. If all four of them physically look in good condition it's unlikely that one of them would simply up and fail, having worked perfectly before.

Before replacing the leads the obvious thing to do would be to remove the plugs and check for one that's soaking wet.

will prob be next week, which is often too late, as i need the car for daily use to work and back..

any other helpfull advice ?
Dude, everything you've said over the last few days sounds like an engine with a pinged piston. It might and hopefully will be something much more innocuous but it's something you need to consider and rule out.

The most helpful advice is to pull the plugs, examine their condition and do a compression test. If you don't have a compression tester, you could try disconnecting the crank position sensor and turning the engine over on the starter for a few seconds. If it sounds "funny" - and in particular sounds like it's trying to fire ever second or two, you have almost certainly lost compression in a piston.

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2010, 12:33 PM
Aamar786
Scooby Regular

its one of ur spark leads mate, i had same problem last month. i have a set of uprated magmecor leads if u want to buy thhem, they only been used 1 month
Old 05 March 2010, 10:02 PM
mossi
Scooby Regular

ive decided to take the plunge and take to the garage, it was limping so badly i didnt want to prelong the pain by trying to change bits, they said they will look into it on Monday, a set of leads id be over the moon with or a spark plug.. but he did mention the dreaded piston melt/hole.. time will tell.. Monday !!!
Old 05 March 2010, 10:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed!
Old 05 March 2010, 10:18 PM
Aamar786
Scooby Regular

trust me mate try the leads dont let them con u
Old 05 March 2010, 10:22 PM
mikeyb86
Scooby Regular

got the same problem m8 let me no how you get on m8
Old 06 March 2010, 01:11 PM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aamar786
trust me mate try the leads dont let them con u
Hopefully wont con me, been a customer at this garage for many years, plus would want to see any damaged or melted pistons.. if thats the case..
Old 14 March 2010, 03:21 PM
badbill
Scooby Newbie

any update on this??
Old 14 March 2010, 03:25 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badbill
any update on this??
Yes, the engine's knackered. Search Mossi's posting history for the rest.

Edited to add: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-sell-fix.html

Last edited by Splitpin; 14 March 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 14 March 2010, 08:07 PM
badbill
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Yes, the engine's knackered. Search Mossi's posting history for the rest.

Edited to add: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-sell-fix.html
Cheers