Notices

Knock sensor error code 22

Old 03 March 2010, 12:55 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor error code 22

Does the ECU get the error code when the knock sensor is faulty, or when it detects knock?

Regards, Shane.
Old 03 March 2010, 12:59 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faulty (on classics not sure about newage)
Old 03 March 2010, 01:06 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Cheers, forgot to mention MY99 Impreza.

Edit: Is it part number 22060AA070 I need for the MY99?

Last edited by Saint AAI; 03 March 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03 March 2010, 01:25 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Done some more searching and I'm pretty sure that's the right part. However I'm not sure I need it as I've read that a faulty MAF can bring this up as well. I know my MAF is faulty and have one coming. How do I test my knock sensor to see if it's ok?
Old 03 March 2010, 02:04 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
Done some more searching and I'm pretty sure that's the right part.
22060AA070, correct.

How do I test my knock sensor to see if it's ok?
With certainty? On a vibration test rig, which you presumably don't have access to. You be reasonably confident it's okay if it passes a multimeter test. Resistance between the two pins should be around 555K, with minimum of 530 and max of 590. Should be zero ohms (i.e. dead short) between the right hand pin (as you look into the plug) and the steel centre core

Also check for any cracks in the plastic body.
Old 03 March 2010, 02:17 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Not sure if we have something like that at work, I'm guessing not. I was looking for the Ohmmeter readings to see if it may be ok. Found your post on another thread a few minutes ago with the 555K +-10K. Thanks for that Splitpin, I'll wait for my MAF to arrive and get that fitted first, then do an ECU reset and see if the 22 comes back. If it does, then I'll investigate the knock sensor further. Also got a code 32 I've known about for a while and have a spare O2 sensor to go on, but am not looking forward to attempting the removal of the old one.
Old 03 March 2010, 03:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Removal's not as tricky as you'd think, especially if you have a 3/8th socket set and a long wobble extension. Should be able to feed it all the way through the jungle. Make sure you don't overtighten the new one - as it's this that tends to crack the case.
Old 05 March 2010, 09:08 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Well fitted new MAF, reset the ECU, and Lambda fault has cleared. The CEL has come on again though and is fault 22 again so need a new knock sensor. Can I do damage driving the car with a fubarred knock sensor or is it more likely to retard the ignition more than normal??

Last edited by Saint AAI; 05 March 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05 March 2010, 09:44 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You can potentially do damage driving it like that. The ECU won't pick up any knock activity so it'll just carry on regardless - if you get into a regime where knock is happening.

As long as you're using tidy fuel and everything else is okay then it shouldn't be an issue but better to take it easy until you know it's sorted.
Old 12 September 2010, 02:21 PM
kev mac
Scooby Regular

Default knock sensor

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
Well fitted new MAF, reset the ECU, and Lambda fault has cleared. The CEL has come on again though and is fault 22 again so need a new knock sensor. Can I do damage driving the car with a fubarred knock sensor or is it more likely to retard the ignition more than normal??
hi how can u tell wot codes come up without taking 2 a garage ?, my 96 import stalls some times will start after switched off 4 a few mins, unpluged the MAF sensor and it stalled straight away so that iv been told is working, told might b knock sensor, thanks guys, just joined site yest kev
Old 12 September 2010, 02:43 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Reading fault codes. Scroll down to heading: Manually Reading ECU Codes (Classic Impreza’s only):-

Reading fault codes

Resetting ECU/clearing old codes. Scroll down to heading: Classic (JECS) ECU Reset:-

Resetting ECU/clearing old codes

Last edited by joz8968; 12 September 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12 September 2010, 10:06 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kev mac
hi how can u tell wot codes come up without taking 2 a garage ?, my 96 import stalls some times will start after switched off 4 a few mins, unpluged the MAF sensor and it stalled straight away so that iv been told is working,
It would be great if there was a nice easy test that would prove whether an airflow meter is good or not, but unfortunately whoever told you that is talking out of their *rs*.

This "unplug MAF sensor with engine running and see whether it stalls" thing is complete bullsh*t, it proves nothing, unfortunately, other than the ability of people to blindly follow stuff they read on the internet.

told might b knock sensor, thanks guys, just joined site yest kev
Again, whoever told you that is wrong. A faulty knock sensor won't prevent the car starting, or make it stall.

Joz has already given you the procedure for reading stored error codes from the ECU's memory. However have you seen the check engine light illuminate or flash in response to one of these failures to start?
Old 13 September 2010, 05:46 PM
kev mac
Scooby Regular

Default fault codes

thanks 4 the addvise very helpfull, i have never seen the check engine light come on ever (ecept when starting car) i disconnected the battery 2day 4 about 3 hours as told that will reset ECU, cars driven fine 2day so will c if the power loss happens again, when it happened and i tryed 2 rev it it was hitting flat spots and not reving, thanks 4 the code fault finding, il do that if fault happens again, thanks guys. kev
Old 01 September 2017, 04:50 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxwar
so is there another code for MAF being faulty? or does code 22 cover both knock and MAF? forgot to add I have a 97 forester
You ask that even after Don has spent the time to reply in your own thread with the information you ask in another thread . . . . . . . . . . .

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...rror-code.html
Old 01 September 2017, 08:07 AM
Baxwar
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
You ask that even after Don has spent the time to reply in your own thread with the information you ask in another thread . . . . . . . . . . .

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...rror-code.html
because i had no idea how to find my own thread. have now and was very helpful