Notices

EJ25 turbo and ECU options

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2010, 11:00 AM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ25 turbo and ECU options

after dettin a piston to bits on my 95 WRX, decided to go down the EJ25 route, just wondred what turbo/ecu/injectors every one else is using/reccomends?

i was thinking about TD05 20G, but unsue about ecu... have esl daughter board fitted at the mo, but suspect thats what killed it in the first place so dont really trust it, also herd different things about MAF.
been told by the engine builder the engine will be good for around 475bhp, so aiming for around 400-450.

feel free to post your specs/power/tourqe figures

cheers
Old 21 February 2010, 06:57 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

any one?
Old 21 February 2010, 07:01 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

How did the ESL board kill it?

20g and headers, FMIC with 95wrx heads and 2.5 will only make about 370hp in all probability unless you look at some solid follower heads like sti3/4 in which case 400hp may be in reach, but forget 450hp.

ESL board is only a means to remap the factory ECU, it will not directly cause a piston failure.
Old 21 February 2010, 07:29 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

yeah i understand, the heads are ment to be ej25 heads, BUT have been told that if these heads dont fit my manifold, my heads will have to be used.

EJ257 EJ25 IMPREZA TURBO SEMI CLOSED DECK BLOCK ENGINE on eBay (end time 19-Mar-10 23:27:29 GMT)

this may be the engine im buying, the seller says he could build the engine and fit it in my classic for 2.3k, u think this a good price?
he claims to have done such conversion before that made around the 450 mark

about the esl, i think this was a bit of ignorance on my part, my turbo died so went for a tdo5 to replace the tdo4 (i have a wagon) was planning on a normal sti ecu, but seen 1 on ebay with a esl in, and was ment to be mapped for same mods at my car (filter,decat)
evedently, for what ever reason ive detted a piston to bits(i think n e way... running on 3 cylinders, low on power, breathers and dump valve full of oil)

ive not had a proper look yet, but cant see it being any thing else, so this is reason for thread
Old 21 February 2010, 08:05 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

First of all you need to figure out what you're doing with the heads and so on, certainly the later heads with solid followers will be a big improvement. But the intake manifold will not fit straight on, but can be modified to fit. However you might want to look at fitting a later manifold too.

As far as the ECU goes, it sounds like you have a generic ESL daughterboard that isn't live mappable. The latest ESL products are live mappable and allow you to get rid of the MAF sensor. FYI the wagon engine has a higher compression ratio so you can't just plonk a saloon map on it and expect it to be fine. Once you move to a built engine and other bolt on mods, an ECU mapped to suit is essential.

You will also need to check out all the other aspects of the car, the fuel system, the boost control, injectors, intercooler, exhaust etc.
Old 21 February 2010, 08:19 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

ah right, looks like im gonna open a can of worms here, my other option is just buy a 2nd hand engine off ebay for £300, then sell up. there's a e46 m3 ive had my eye on, alot dearer than a ej25 scoob but its gonna be worth more at the end of the day.

as for the higher compression ration, again thats ignorance on my part, i did ask the question on here before i done it, and a number of people told me that its fine, its been done before and they know people who have had no problems with it. dont beleive evey thing your' told is the lesson here i spose.
it didnt det to start with tho, it ran fine, only started dettin after about 3 months, so didnt realise what it was.
Old 21 February 2010, 08:20 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

o, btw the esl has a 'Power engineering' sticker on it