Notices

went to scooby clinic yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2010, 03:37 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to scooby clinic yesterday

took my boost shy scoob the the doctors yesterday (VERY VERY VERY GOOD BY THE WAY), its NOT fully broken it boosts about twenty% of the time the rest of the time it boosts but its juddery and not right.

Stuck her on the dyno and she gave max 226bhp should be 240 (93 wrx import) typically the guy said he felt no hessitation (judder) on the dyno at all, he power ran it about 5 times. i knew that would happen.

dyno showed it was a bit rich to start with then going lean,

cell code 32 (oxegen censor) is showing on ecu test. so he unpluged it xspecting it to drop to 0.3 and stay there but it was all over the place wich apparently is strange.

i told him it had had uprated injectors and walbro pump so he stuck sumat in my tail pipe and didnt say anything so im asuming that was fine.

Aparently there is something on my car telling something on my car (please excuse my lack of knowledge) that it is an auto which it is not.
Basically with the time they had they could not diagnose but they think there is an electrical fault somewhere on the loom. they advised me to check my ecu and see if it looked like it had been tampered with.

I took all the stuff of and got to my ecu last night. inside the ecu itself everything looks ok appart from, it has got that spare area where u can solder another chip to and im not sure if it should have?? but the main thing is, all the wires that go to the ecu some of them have been messed with they have electrical tape round them id say maybe 5-6 wires have been messed with. is it likley to come out of the factory like this and if not why would someone mess with those wires.

Last thing!!!

Because i now know the car a little better now after owning it for two weeks i went through the extensive history again last night to see if anything jump out as a possible culprit for my isues and i found something

advisory on mot 5 months ago said, corrosion on fuel (something)?? and breather pipes.... im very exited about this as im sure that surley that could cause some fueling issues wich is what scooby clinic say i have. not with history right now and cant remember what it was aswell as the breather pipes that was corroded but im sure you prob know.

Main questions

Could corrosion in this area cause my issues and where is it to check???
also is taped up wires goin into ecu o/e (surely not) and why would someone do that if not.???
And has anybody heard of this manual car thinking its an auto problem???

I realise this was a big post but no other way of giving you enough info

any help much appreciated

mods
uprated injectors
walbro pump
ally headder
full decat
blitz induction
Old 14 February 2010, 04:05 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boost2010
took my boost shy scoob the the doctors yesterday (VERY VERY VERY GOOD BY THE WAY), its NOT fully broken it boosts about twenty% of the time the rest of the time it boosts but its juddery and not right.

Stuck her on the dyno and she gave max 226bhp should be 240 (93 wrx import) typically the guy said he felt no hessitation (judder) on the dyno at all, he power ran it about 5 times. i knew that would happen.

dyno showed it was a bit rich to start with then going lean,

cell code 32 (oxegen censor) is showing on ecu test. so he unpluged it xspecting it to drop to 0.3 and stay there but it was all over the place wich apparently is strange.

i told him it had had uprated injectors and walbro pump so he stuck sumat in my tail pipe and didnt say anything so im asuming that was fine.

Aparently there is something on my car telling something on my car (please excuse my lack of knowledge) that it is an auto which it is not.
Basically with the time they had they could not diagnose but they think there is an electrical fault somewhere on the loom. they advised me to check my ecu and see if it looked like it had been tampered with.

I took all the stuff of and got to my ecu last night. inside the ecu itself everything looks ok appart from, it has got that spare area where u can solder another chip to and im not sure if it should have?? but the main thing is, all the wires that go to the ecu some of them have been messed with they have electrical tape round them id say maybe 5-6 wires have been messed with. is it likley to come out of the factory like this and if not why would someone mess with those wires.

Last thing!!!

Because i now know the car a little better now after owning it for two weeks i went through the extensive history again last night to see if anything jump out as a possible culprit for my isues and i found something

advisory on mot 5 months ago said, corrosion on fuel (something)?? and breather pipes.... im very exited about this as im sure that surley that could cause some fueling issues wich is what scooby clinic say i have. not with history right now and cant remember what it was aswell as the breather pipes that was corroded but im sure you prob know.

Main questions

Could corrosion in this area cause my issues and where is it to check???
also is taped up wires goin into ecu o/e (surely not) and why would someone do that if not.???
And has anybody heard of this manual car thinking its an auto problem???

I realise this was a big post but no other way of giving you enough info

any help much appreciated

mods
uprated injectors
walbro pump
ally headder
full decat
blitz induction
A 14bhp loss in 17 years is not bad and is to be expected.

Get a new lambda fitted, should help clear up part of the fuelling issues.

The ECU wiring should NOT in anyway be bodged with elec tape. What is the number on the top of the ECU case?? The spare chip mount is normal, you can fit a Polar Performance in there.

Corrosion any where in the fuel system is not good and you should have it looked at, it could be contributing to the problem but i would be more conserned with the safty issues.
Old 14 February 2010, 04:22 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

mods
uprated injectors
walbro pump
ally headder
full decat
blitz induction

and your still runing the standard ecu
if so then id get it remaped asap and hope that there is no lasting damage done to your engine
Old 14 February 2010, 04:55 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P555SBR
mods
uprated injectors
walbro pump
ally headder
full decat
blitz induction

and your still runing the standard ecu
if so then id get it remaped asap and hope that there is no lasting damage done to your engine
Not possible on the early ECU's. It would require a ESL Daughterboard or aftermarket ECU of some sort. That is why i asked for the number on the ECU.

I suspect a FCD or MBC to be fitted somewhere if it's still on a early ECU.

Last edited by Glowplug; 14 February 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 14 February 2010, 05:12 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Cheers b13 the numbers are
u8
22611 aab10
a18-000 rj2
Old 14 February 2010, 05:13 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

The car is 93 k reg wrx import
Old 14 February 2010, 05:26 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Also I understand a car will loose ponies over time but the dyno was done 7 years ago before any mods surley that should of had some also the guy who sold it paid 8k for the car I got the recipt and I got three grands worth of recipts he really looked after it I can't understand why he wouldn't have had it chipped / mapped is chipping/mapping essential for my mods
Old 14 February 2010, 05:41 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

As i said above mate, there is some thing on it to stop it over-boosting [MBC or FCD??]. The de-cat alone will cause over-boost, suprised SC didn't say something along those lines or spot it.

Take some pics of the ECU wiring and engine bay, post um up and lets av a look.
Old 14 February 2010, 05:59 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

No probs will get some pics up tomoz. I got a list of issues and I'm about to phone the previous owner and dig for details
Old 14 February 2010, 06:11 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boost2010
I'm about to phone the previous owner and dig for details
Good move
Old 14 February 2010, 07:52 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car should not loose that much power. my 93 wrx with w6 ecu (standard ecu is u8 or w6) made 245bhp at scooby clinic with a magnex back box only.
Old 15 February 2010, 12:01 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Heres the pin-outs for your ECU, you can use it to see which wires have been bodged and make sure allis correct

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk
Old 15 February 2010, 04:47 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

once again that's great b13bat, I will return with news of what wires he has sabotaged,

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/y...0/untitled.jpg