Notices

Identifying the engine in a Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2010, 01:41 AM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying the engine in a Classic?

Can anyone give me a step for a hint of how to identify the engine fitted in a classic? I have a *******ized Subaru Wagon which apparently has an RB5 engine in it and I am looking to confirm if this is what I have or if it is simply a standard turbo motor.

Also, apparently, I have a P1 turbo... How would I go about identifying my turbo type? What about the intercooler?

Everything else that was on the 'advert' matches up; Prodrive management and suspension etcetera...

New to Subarus and I don't have a clue how to identify what is what with regards to origin...
Old 13 February 2010, 01:52 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I believe the RB5 engine is a regular MY99 UKDM "EJ205" one... but rather than being at 208bhp, it runs 237bhp. I believe the extra power was achieved by Prodrive designing a cat-back exhaust system/tweaked ECU map, but still running the std fit TD04 turbo... I think?

The P1's MY99/00 turbo should be a VF29 (or VF28)... I think!

I've probably got the above horribly wrong - hopefully someone will be along soon that actually knows for sure...

Last edited by joz8968; 13 February 2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 13 February 2010, 02:27 AM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

'cat-back'.... Erm... I 'lost' the cat... Got a 3" or 4" (not measured it yet but it's bloody thick!) stainless system pretty much from the turbo all the ways to the backbox... Noticed a slight leak at the back of the turbo in the exhaust (welder will be getting used shortly!).

As for 'mapping'... I've simply got a 'prodrive' ecu with a lovely 'pink' sticker on it stating such... Definitely got a hell of a lot more than 237bhp... Boosting at almost 1.6bar (knock sensors etc fitted) although not sure on how 'accurate' the gauge is... Goes like hell anyway! Not really had it opened right up yet... I'll check the coding on the turbo... Seems bigger than a TD04 although I could be wrong, used to looking at the TD03s on the 1.8t VWs...
Old 13 February 2010, 10:19 AM
GpMarty
Scooby Regular

joz is correct on the rb5 ...standard engine remapped by prodrive on a td04 for extra midrange torque so do feel quite rapid.
Old 13 February 2010, 10:34 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NINJA_LOVER
Can anyone give me a step for a hint of how to identify the engine fitted in a classic? I have a *******ized Subaru Wagon which apparently has an RB5 engine in it and I am looking to confirm if this is what I have or if it is simply a standard turbo motor.
As above the engine fitted to the RB5's in the factory is a standard 99MY UK spec EJ205NW1KE if I remember right, so it's kindof a circular question. You would expect to find a "standard turbo motor" in them because that's what they're supposed to have. Think Joz and Marty are slightly incorrect though, the power output on the standard RB5 is 215bhp. It's only the PPP and WR Sport versions of the car that got more - don't think it was standard on all of them.

Also, apparently, I have a P1 turbo... How would I go about identifying my turbo type?
Look at it, see what scars and identification marks are on it, either ask or search to see how what's in your car compares with the P1's IHI VF28.

New to Subarus and I don't have a clue how to identify what is what with regards to origin...
Search is your friend.

As for 'mapping'... I've simply got a 'prodrive' ecu with a lovely 'pink' sticker on it stating such...
The pink sticker should also have a part number which reads "A18-000-D1X". If so it's the PPP ECU which should give just over 240bhp as standard - although it can be reprogrammed via EcuTeK.

got a hell of a lot more than 237bhp... Boosting at almost 1.6bar
I'll ask the obvious question first because so many people do it. Are you sure you're not misreading the gauge and seeing 16psi?

The reason I ask is because the boost target on the PPP ECU is around 1.1 bar - almost exactly 16psi.

If it really is hitting 1.6 bar, then either the ECU has been remapped or there's a manual boost controller, piggy back or other device altering the boost target. If so, it's worth being certain that the engine is running within safe norms on whatever fuel you're feeding it. Speaking of which...

(knock sensors etc fitted)
What do you mean by this? All Imprezas have a knock sensor fitted as standard. Do you mean the car is fitted with an aftermarket knock monitoring system?

I'll check the coding on the turbo... Seems bigger than a TD04 although I could be wrong, used to looking at the TD03s on the 1.8t VWs...
If it's a VF28 you will see the "IHI Turbo" logo cast into the upper part of the compressor cover - and the RHF5HB cartridge and VF28 type markings on the ID area.

If it's a standard RB5 turbo (TD04) the ID plate is on the lower part of the compressor housing - and you'll see the TD04 identification quite clearly.

Last edited by Splitpin; 13 February 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:12 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yep SP correct again!

THe WR version of the RB5 had 237bhp... plus that rather nice Prodrive high level spoiler.

I didn't realise the 'regular' RB5 had 215bhp (that's what I meant to write in my post BTW; and not 208) - I thought both the regular and WR were 237bhp.

Thanks for jolting the (failing) memory, SP.....

Last edited by joz8968; 13 February 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 13 February 2010, 09:39 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

As above the engine fitted to the RB5's in the factory is a standard 99MY UK spec EJ205NW1KE if I remember right, so it's kindof a circular question. You would expect to find a "standard turbo motor" in them because that's what they're supposed to have. Think Joz and Marty are slightly incorrect though, the power output on the standard RB5 is 215bhp. It's only the PPP and WR Sport versions of the car that got more - don't think it was standard on all of them.

Look at it, see what scars and identification marks are on it, either ask or search to see how what's in your car compares with the P1's IHI VF28.

Search is your friend.

The pink sticker should also have a part number which reads "A18-000-D1X". If so it's the PPP ECU which should give just over 240bhp as standard - although it can be reprogrammed via EcuTeK.

That's the exact boy I have... Checked it tonight. Lovely...

I'll ask the obvious question first because so many people do it. Are you sure you're not misreading the gauge and seeing 16psi?

The reason I ask is because the boost target on the PPP ECU is around 1.1 bar - almost exactly 16psi.

If it really is hitting 1.6 bar, then either the ECU has been remapped or there's a manual boost controller, piggy back or other device altering the boost target. If so, it's worth being certain that the engine is running within safe norms on whatever fuel you're feeding it. Speaking of which...

There is a manual boost controller fitted. It's maxing at 1.3 - 1.4bar and not 1.6. Not checked fuelling yet but as it is a 'modded' car I would imagine the pump has been done... I will check...

What do you mean by this? All Imprezas have a knock sensor fitted as standard. Do you mean the car is fitted with an aftermarket knock monitoring system?

It's got a standalone knock sensor with little light up LEDs. Big red one means power cuts and such, not got near it yet...

If it's a VF28 you will see the "IHI Turbo" logo cast into the upper part of the compressor cover - and the RHF5HB cartridge and VF28 type markings on the ID area.

If it's a standard RB5 turbo (TD04) the ID plate is on the lower part of the compressor housing - and you'll see the TD04 identification quite clearly.

No TD04 and having looked at the turbo it is HUGE... It has various writing on it in small print but it is small and I can't get a good enough angle to read what it states. I'll need to wait until I get it out to have a read...
Old 13 February 2010, 09:55 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Okay...

Been back out (with torch) and had a look again at the turbo...

It is not a IHI Turbo as the 'obvious' markings are not there. It looks kinda similar to the TD04 turbo but it is different from that also... The markings are in roughly the same place as the TD04 though but I just can't read em...

I'm going to assume it's a TD04.

That being the case how comes I am getting approx 15 miles to the gallon with 20 miles at a push extra urban. I don't nail it very often and tend to ensure I am in a gear that isn't labouring in and around the 1500-2500rpm range.

That the 'normal' fuel economy for a turbo Subaru?
Old 13 February 2010, 09:57 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Knock Link with Bosh Knock Sensor ... Turbo on eBay (end time 20-Feb-10 12:45:57 GMT)

Is the 'knock link' I have...
Old 13 February 2010, 10:07 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

The TD04 is the correct turbo for a UKDM from MY97-00 - inc the RB5's.

BTW if you think it's huge, you aint seen the others! The TD04 is physically, and figuratively, the smallest OEM turbo fitted to the Impreza!

You should see, typically, 20-23mpg on the combined cycle (typical mixed driving).

Yeah, Knock-Link quite a ubiquitous bit of kit amongst Scoobers . Keep it! - it could help you in making a decsion to save your engine (if it lights up like a Xmas tree when hooning etc...)

Last edited by joz8968; 13 February 2010 at 10:11 PM.