Notices

Overheating help please

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2010, 11:47 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Overheating help please

Hi my 1998 impreza turbo has started overheating,and after doing alot of reading i have got lots of good advice so thanks.
Mine is steaming at the front,top rad hose very hot bottom cold,going through about 4 litres of water every 30 miles and no puddles under the car,water isnt contaminated but i know this doesn't rule out a blown head gasket.
I am starting with the thermostat and working my way upto the big money and nightmare,,,head gasket. My problem is i have drainned the water by taking off the bottom hose,about a litre of cold water gushed out before the really hot stuff,but the plastic bottle in the wing is still reading max level?? how do i drain this please?
Also i have got the thermostat cooking on the stove and its opening 7-8mm gap,,is this correct??

Regards Rich
Old 08 February 2010, 01:12 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Hi my 1998 impreza turbo has started overheating,and after doing alot of reading i have got lots of good advice so thanks.
Mine is steaming at the front,top rad hose very hot bottom cold,going through about 4 litres of water every 30 miles and no puddles under the car,water isnt contaminated but i know this doesn't rule out a blown head gasket.
I am starting with the thermostat and working my way upto the big money and nightmare,,,head gasket. My problem is i have drainned the water by taking off the bottom hose,about a litre of cold water gushed out before the really hot stuff,but the plastic bottle in the wing is still reading max level?? how do i drain this please?
Also i have got the thermostat cooking on the stove and its opening 7-8mm gap,,is this correct??

Regards Rich
Hi Rich

I'd say head gasket from what you're saying there. You have to remove the inner wing bottle to drain it. It's likely full as the water is being forced into it via the pressure cap. The stat sounds fine.
Old 08 February 2010, 01:40 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks Alan,looks like i will have to take it somewhere to get tested. Is there a DIY kit or tool available to buy to test the head gasket?
Old 08 February 2010, 06:07 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Well i've done all i can do,i fitted a new thermostat and refilled the system.I ran for about 30mins with cap off then drove for 15 mins,,The heater stayed hot,the temp guage stayed just under half way and the rad fans came on and off blowing cold air,,top hose is very hot and bottom still cold and still steaming from the front,the only wettness i can see it the condenser is soaking wet with cold fluid(is this a totally seperate system?). After 20 more mins on idel a squeeking sound started so i switched it off.

I have to work tomorrow and was considering driving 20 miles because if it is the head gasket i will be cheaper to get another engine.Does anyone know what the squeek/screech sound might be,could it be the engine seizing up?
Old 08 February 2010, 06:17 PM
skinner
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the squeek but it could be just a pully or does it sound worse than a pully.I once did a head gasket job were the warter was getting into one of the cylinders and burning i looked for ages for a leak did head gasket and it was fine.There was no signes of head gasket failure on the job i did apart from warter loss.your engine should not size unless you have cooked it.
Old 08 February 2010, 06:42 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Cheers skinner,it does sound like a pulley squeek.I will drive it tomorrow and keep an eye on the temp guage
Old 08 February 2010, 06:49 PM
skinner
Scooby Regular

You could try take you alt and air con belts off and just run it for a min to to see if its one of thoes causing the noise. Hope head gasket on your car for you.
Old 08 February 2010, 08:13 PM
widdows
Scooby Regular

could be water pump squeaking because theres no water in it just hot combustion gases!

my car was doing a simalar thing, the top hose cooking hot and the bottom cold, ive just had the engine out to replace the headgaskets
Old 08 February 2010, 08:33 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by widdows
my car was doing a simalar thing, the top hose cooking hot and the bottom cold, ive just had the engine out to replace the headgaskets
Ouch.......looks like i'll be looking for another cheap engine then or selling the car

just strange how the temp guage reading ok,shouldn't it be off the scale if gaskets gone?
Old 08 February 2010, 08:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Ouch.......looks like i'll be looking for another cheap engine then or selling the car

just strange how the temp guage reading ok,shouldn't it be off the scale if gaskets gone?
Why get a replacement engine? you dont know how good it is and for all you know 50 miles down the road the hg goes on that.

Not all head gaskets mean you get overheating, it depends where it fails but eventually it probably will over heat, your best just getting the job done once by a good place rather than 2-3 times faffing about with engines and half done jobs.

Tony
Old 08 February 2010, 08:42 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

have you checked you oil?? look like mayo?? may explain where the water is going (same thing was drinking the stuff as above it was burning it and the oil was mixing with it not good.

new engine and its all better now

Last edited by m@t STImulation; 08 February 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08 February 2010, 10:02 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could the thermostat be stuck, take it out and try again, its in the housing on the bottom hose on the block

or the radiator is blocked

Last edited by Neil XR; 08 February 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08 February 2010, 10:20 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

He's already had stat out and its openin and closing. (post 1)...
Old 09 February 2010, 03:22 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I am still baffled,,i drove to work today,the temp gauge never moved past just over quater,the heater was toasty,and water is still full and seemingly no loss of power,although im too paranoid to floor it,there's still alot of steam from the front tho and bottom hose cold,but reading a few post this just means the rad is doing its job?i cant see where the steam is coming from? maybe the wet condenser infront of the rad is the problem?my air con dosen't work,is it easy to remove/bypass the aircon system??
Old 09 February 2010, 10:54 PM
skinner
Scooby Regular

Does your rad look a bit dogey as it should not steem all the time.When you turn the engine off the the system comes under more pressure check for a leak then .If you have a leek look for like fur on things like the sides of your rad usually a pale colour of your antifreeze.
Old 09 February 2010, 11:24 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

cheers skinner,i will check that out tomorrow at work.I had no probs on way home either and i had no choice but to test the true power was still there when i had a T5 up my ****,,,,not for long tho god i love my scooby!!! surley if head gasket was shot i would feel some loss of power or see some sign of oil in water? anyway i will carry on driving round with no front grill and the heater on full untill i can sort the steaming?
Old 10 February 2010, 07:33 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the HG starting to leak, but its in the early days and you have time to save the engine.
Boost pressure is starting to leak into the cooling loop and allowing air to collect in the radiator while pushing coolant into the expansion tank.
When the air pocket has built up large enough, it'll result in an air lock preventing circulation through the rad - even though the thermostat is working - hence the hot top & cold bottom pipes and fan blowing cold air.

More chasing of T5s will result in a cooked engine that'll need a lot of face skimming or worse.
Old 10 February 2010, 01:19 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

ok cheers I will get it checked out tomorrow.will a sniffer test show up the early signs of a blown gasket?
Old 10 February 2010, 01:50 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Not if the HG leaks under higher boost .
Extend the coolant overflow hose up to your windscreen. When giving it boost, the coolant will squirt out so you can see it - just wash it off well afterwards.

Nick
Old 10 February 2010, 05:25 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

yes i will give that a try on the way home,,just checked water and doesnt seem to have used any,i filled via header tank and bleed the air.Now since changing the stat the water isnt bubblin,and the heater warms up quicker and the temp gauge runs lower? tbh all seems well apart from the steamin? if i just drive around as normal and make sure temp gauge never over half could i still be in danger of cookin the engine?