Notices

K&N Apollo. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 06:09 PM
gisalook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Apollo. Any good?

What is the best indction kit for a 06. 2.5 STI hawk eye. I'm thinking of a K&N apolo kit. Anyone got one, are they any good
Old 08 January 2010, 06:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gisalook
What is the best indction kit for a 06. 2.5 STI hawk eye.
The one you decide not to fit.
Old 08 January 2010, 06:17 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the application tbh. What's the spec of the car, if standard your panel filter is better than an induction kit which may infact reduce the performance.
Old 08 January 2010, 06:32 PM
gisalook
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Thanks Guys
Old 11 January 2010, 04:36 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and just look over random posts. I've got a 06 wrx and was thinking of putting on a K&N typhoon. The only mods I've done is an Afterburner back box and center section. Is this a good idea getting an induction kit or shall I wait till I get the remap etc done. thanks
Old 11 January 2010, 05:04 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The induction kit is not needed. Save your money.

Last edited by dynamix; 11 January 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11 January 2010, 07:47 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

do you mean mate, don't bother with the remap or just not bother with the induction kit
Old 11 January 2010, 07:51 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GezP
do you mean mate, don't bother with the remap or just not bother with the induction kit
Sorry - dont bother with the induction kit.

Your car responds awesomely to remaps even in entirely std form - decat will fully set it free. An induction kit on your 06 wrx will not be required.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:06 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

brill thanks mate, i was planning in the near future to do a re-map with a decate turbo pipe. i'll just put this money towards this then. thanks for the advice mate
Old 11 January 2010, 08:12 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GezP
brill thanks mate, i was planning in the near future to do a re-map with a decate turbo pipe. i'll just put this money towards this then. thanks for the advice mate
No probs.

You just need decat and air filter and the remap and you will love the difference.
Old 11 January 2010, 08:32 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

how much do you think it casts for this?
Old 11 January 2010, 10:07 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Sound advice above about not fitting one unless needed.

I decided to fit one to my MY 98 (had to adapt it to fit from a later model). I have a FMIC fitted so no panel filter plus I have a blanked off DV. I had a K&N cone filter and the sound was good when I was in the mood, but as I'm old enough to have bought petrol in Shillings, I also wanted something quieter :-)

Fitting the Apollo made it quieter but still left a satisfying amount of noise, plus it gives a cold air feed from the wing vent under the indicator.

FWIW, the Apollo seems a well made piece of kit - not overly cheap but then that's not why you drive a Scube
Old 11 January 2010, 11:54 PM
Stig67
Scooby Regular

i have the apollo with the intake pipe coming out of the fog light cover ,,love the sound ,,and think the car drives better ,,
Old 12 January 2010, 11:13 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I looked into these and read on the K+N site that they are good for 350HP. The OE STI panel filter is good for that too, so not worth doing unless for other reasons the OE airbox has to go. But even then if you are fitting a FMIC for example a 350HP filter isn't exactly future proof.
Old 12 January 2010, 07:04 PM
Scooby_Stu_
Scooby Regular

I have a K&N apollo on my 2006 2.5 wrx, the car has been mapped with it on which does make a difference, while driving the intake temps are only 1 deg C above ambient temps with the cold air feed in the front fog and with the standard air box it was 4 or 5 deg C on average above ambient temp. Plus i love the sound it makes

Name:  P5030547.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  194.5 KB

Last edited by Scooby_Stu_; 12 January 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12 January 2010, 07:08 PM
gisalook
Scooby Regular

Thanks to you all.
I've just order'd one from peter lloyd rallying.
Old 12 January 2010, 07:11 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

If you get to the point that the std airbox is not efficient the K&N Apollo would not be my choice. You would be needing to go to a bigger diameter system such as the APS 70mm or a big MAF KTech unit from the states to give more headroom in the MAF.
Old 12 January 2010, 07:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYDOO3105
i have the apollo with the intake pipe coming out of the fog light cover ,,love the sound ,,and think the car drives better ,,
Do you know why the car appears to "drive better"? Is it because the presence of the induction kit has altered the mass airflow scaling? Have you checked to see whether your on-boost mixtures have altered measurably? Have you checked for the presence of any detonation?
Old 12 January 2010, 07:36 PM
Stig67
Scooby Regular

I PUT IT ON AND IT RUNS FINE been like this from last year no probs at all ,,,better than a KnN UNDER THE BONNET sucking hot air in
Old 12 January 2010, 08:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

What's with the caps? I asked you some straight and straightforward questions because, aside from anything else, any answers you had might help other people - and might just help you as well.

It may be better than a cone under the bonnet sucking hot air in, yes, but the question is whether any differences you've noticed over the standard induction tract are either placebo effect or skewed mixtures.

Given the standard air tract isn't significantly restrictive in the first place, I would be a bit interested to find out why the car appears to "drive better". As above, are you monitoring mixture or det?
Old 12 January 2010, 08:49 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
What's with the caps? I asked you some straight and straightforward questions because, aside from anything else, any answers you had might help other people - and might just help you as well.

It may be better than a cone under the bonnet sucking hot air in, yes, but the question is whether any differences you've noticed over the standard induction tract are either placebo effect or skewed mixtures.

Given the standard air tract isn't significantly restrictive in the first place, I would be a bit interested to find out why the car appears to "drive better". As above, are you monitoring mixture or det?
Now we are getting down in the weeds

I fitted my Apollo after JGM had mapped it with the cone K&N fitted. So therefore it does need a remap - no question !.

But the performance felt about the same and the noise reduction was what I was looking for as a result. I have an Apexi with Commander so have checked that knock is not an issue and has not increased.

I have no measured proof, but I feel that there are plus and minus points. The minus points would be a smaller size filter on the Apollo from the K&N cone I did have fitted along with a longer intake pipe (into the wing etc.). The plus points would be a colder air charge along with some ram effect by fitting the end of the intake to the vent in the wing. In my mind, I tend to feel that they have evened out.

Of course the proof would be another RR session with a remap. No doubt I'll be getting around to another remap with other possiblr mods in 2010