Notices

Heaters don't blow hot

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2010, 12:49 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heaters don't blow hot

The heaters on my car have never worked since I bought it, have owned it 5 months and have done approx 1000 miles. It is a 95 WRX import.

I noticed that my car was running a bit low on coolant so I have drained it all, flushed it with a hose pipe and refilled it with coolant, since I didn't know if the mixture was right and when it was last changed.

When I had the coolant drained, I removed the thermostat and tested it in a cup of water and it was opening, so I've put it back in.

I've bled the system by leaving it running for half and hour until all the bubbles stopped.

The car stays at half way on the temp gauge, but the heaters don't blow hot. The heater pipes on both sides of the matrix are hot, the top and bottom rad hoses get hot when up to temp too.

First question, if the hoses on each side of the matrix are hot,does this mean that water is flowing through the matrix? There meaning I can't have an air lock in it?

Second question, when i turn the 2 other heater controls (not the temperature controls) I can here the sound of a servo, but there is no noise when I turn the temp control control, should I here a servo kick in?

The engine just had a rebuild 10k ago, so I'm hoping it isn't the head gasket, there isn't any steam or smoke coming out of the exhaust and the car drives perfectly.

Any help or info would be great,

Thanks again,

Ross
Old 05 January 2010, 01:30 AM
Jaywalker
Scooby Regular

That was my first thought, airlock in the matrix, at first it sounded like it had been bypassed but you said they where still connected which leads me to think that maybe a problem with the switch, warm the car up and stick your head into the passenger foot well with a torch have a little feel around, if my memory serves me the matrix is right behind the gear stick or stereo i should say if the matrix is hot then its probably something to do with the switch, as the other 2 switches are working that means the fuse should be OK my fuse went recently and all 3 switches didn't work,

If matrix is cold then its a airlock, airlocks are common when coolants been changed, ill check my temp switch to see if it does make a noise when you move it and ill get back to you,

hope this helps and let me know what you find out..
Old 05 January 2010, 08:51 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I think the scooby has a matrix where the hot water is constantly passed through the heater matrix regardless of the heater setting. When you rotate the heater control whats supposed to happen is a flap is supposed to move that redirects the incoming unheated air over the heater matrix and out through your vents. If this flap is not working correctly then the temperature dial has no effect, on some cars the flap is moved electronically and on others there is a cable linkage to the control ****. As I dont own a scooby I cannot say if this theory is correct, but its another path for investigation.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:51 AM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

A 93 wrx would not have an elec servo to operate the hot/cold mixing flap, it has a cable that runs directly from the control **** to a mixing flap leaver on the side of the heater assay. I can't for the life of me remember which side of the heater has the cable for the hot/cold mixing flap but there are only 2x cables fitted (1x drivers side & 1x passengers side) and they are only held in place by a clip, so I would check to make sure that they are both correctly fitted & that they operate their respective flaps when the control ***** are turned.
Old 05 January 2010, 11:20 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

You were saying car was low on coolant, after the flush and top up is it holding the correct amount . pull your dipstick out and have a good look at it and check if there is any white water globules in your oil. if so i would say head gasket.
Old 05 January 2010, 11:46 AM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f4la k
You were saying car was low on coolant, after the flush and top up is it holding the correct amount . pull your dipstick out and have a good look at it and check if there is any white water globules in your oil. if so i would say head gasket.
The car is now holding the correct amaount of coolant after the flush and refill. The head gasket was replaced 10k ago, so its still pretty new.

The heater temp control is definately electronically operated as I had the heater controls out and there is no metal cable, just wires.

I'm going to try and see if the matrix is hot to touch tonight to confirm if its getting hot coolant through it, will report back.

Thanks for the info so far, will post back my results
Old 05 January 2010, 12:13 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

the air that comes out of ure heaters is blown from behind the matrix and through it along heating ducts so if the air is cold more than likeley the matrix is cold , if the matrix is blocked or has an air lock then the end tanks can be hot but the fins are cold , also you would need to bring the car up to temp first then touch the fins and see if they are hot , without turning the fans on as the fans can make the cores cold to touch
Old 05 January 2010, 02:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the heater FAN blow? At all?

I had similar on my Xantia, the fuse had gone due to a short circuit, the heater MATRIX got hot, but without the fan, little or no warm air entered the cabin
Old 05 January 2010, 06:57 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Or it has had a matrix leak in the past and has been bypassed with a hose joiner
Old 05 January 2010, 07:02 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

theres alot of cars with blocked iced up matrix,s at mo make sure you guys got anothe anti freeze in