Notices

How good is the P1?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2010, 05:50 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the P1?

Hi all Im looking at getting a P1 soon maybe around april time and im just wondering:

how good is it compared to other subaru's and similar cars: sti, 22b, type R, mits evo's ?

Ive been told its the only car from subaru that is classed as a super car ?

How easy is it to get new parts for it ?

Ive noticed alot have had the engines rebuilt ? Why is this ?

Im after a rare car that you hardly see and to be honest i dont think ive ever seen a P1 in person. Im also looking for something that you can put your foot down and itll throw you back into your seat. I will be rarly using the car but just wont the power to be there " should i ever need it "

The only thing ! that is putting me off buying a P1 is everyone and the grannies dog ( well not quite ) drives around in a subaru - yeah it might not be a P1 or anywhere near but still its another subaru on the road where im wanting something that isn't seen very often.

What you think ? should i go for it anyways ?
Old 02 January 2010, 05:55 PM
chip-it
Scooby Newbie

yep they tend to need rebuilt around 60k if you want somethin special try wr1 ltd edition quickest scooby out of box and lot cheaper only 500 made though.
Old 02 January 2010, 05:58 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chip-it
yep they tend to need rebuilt around 60k if you want somethin special try wr1 ltd edition quickest scooby out of box and lot cheaper only 500 made though.
im sure someone will be along to correct you about the"quickest scooby out the box" they always do

Last edited by stealthy55; 02 January 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 05:59 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

i must admit i like the look of the P1 alot more than the wr1 ltd edition.

Why do the engines need rebuilt ? what normaly goes wrong ?

How do they compare to evo's ?
Old 02 January 2010, 06:08 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Go and have a look at the Type R's and Type R V-ltd's on SVAimports website before you decide on a p1
Old 02 January 2010, 06:11 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

i've had mine for 4 years now and it great, the only people that put them down are the ones that have never own'd one, there rare, and there are afew owers out there that went from a P1 to a wr1's and sti8's and are now back driving one

afew say the type-r is a better car, but i pass 25 on my way to work never see a p1

mark
Old 02 January 2010, 06:12 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

That's why i say look at the V-ltd. Not many of those.
Old 02 January 2010, 06:17 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

The P1 owners wont like this one bit!

The P1 is a de-tuned Type R in effect it started its life as a Type R then had various bits replaced. They are over priced and certainly not a super car in my book.

Buy a P1, yes slightly cheaper insurance but the dccd has gone and some other toys, Buy a Type R and it still has the toys. I dont own either i own a newage but it would be a type r for me if i had to choose between the 2 models.

The rumour for many needing the engines rebuilt is due to half of the cars (500) did not get the ecu modified for UK fuel when they came from Japan in order to meet delivery times to customers.
Could be another one of those classic Subaru myths though.

Last edited by 71/200; 02 January 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 06:19 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i personally love the p1 i like the looks the performance and the fact they only ever made them in 1 colour that been sonic blue apart from if im correct 1 proto type which was white and you will never see in the flesh anyway unless your very very lucky. dont let the re build thing put you off as they are future classics and are getting rarer as each one gets written off. there are a good few for sale on ebay which most have been really well maintained and some are really low mileage so you can be really choosy and get a good one. prices vary by a mile ranging from £5500 right up to 12 grand. and we dont do evo,s on this site lol
Old 02 January 2010, 06:20 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maps
i've had mine for 4 years now and it great, the only people that put them down are the ones that have never own'd one, there rare, and there are afew owers out there that went from a P1 to a wr1's and sti8's and are now back driving one

afew say the type-r is a better car, but i pass 25 on my way to work never see a p1

mark
Must be a **** load of type r,s on the Isle of Wight then.
Old 02 January 2010, 06:26 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

Spec C type RA-R quickest out of the box i believe..
Old 02 January 2010, 06:43 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

So there seems to be a debate about the type R and the P1? Was the P1 ever used for racing / rallying ? or is it a road only car ?

I was just wondering how it steps up to an evo - was in a 380 bhp evo 6 once - that was fast ! and would like mine to be faster ( p1 )

Would the subaru 6 cylinder boxer engine fit in ? just out of intrest to make it a limited limited edition
Old 02 January 2010, 06:54 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by applesandbananas
So there seems to be a debate about the type R and the P1? Was the P1 ever used for racing / rallying ? or is it a road only car ?

I was just wondering how it steps up to an evo - was in a 380 bhp evo 6 once - that was fast ! and would like mine to be faster ( p1 )

Would the subaru 6 cylinder boxer engine fit in ? just out of intrest to make it a limited limited edition
Quite expensive I believe to get a classic impreza to that level of power. There are certainly users on here at close to (or above) 500 bhp classics. You might be better off with a new age (bug onwards) if going for bigger power........have stronger engines and boxes. New age is much heavier of course.

What is your budget? I reckon a spec c is what you need, more accomplished than an evo and still an 'organic' car.

dnc
Old 02 January 2010, 07:03 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

not intressed in a newer one, dont like the shapes atol would prefer to spend the money on an older one.

What bout the 6 cylinder idea ? would it fit ? it is the subaru boxer engine so its not as if i was trying to put a BMW engine in or that.

Or are the P1's not as good as they are made out to be ?
Old 02 January 2010, 07:18 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

being honest mate and people are gonna kill me for this, a p1 versus a evo 5/6 straight out of the box, the evo will beat it nicely but don't forget you don't drive it, the computer controls so much on it that if you ever got in a normal car you'd look like a prat. also the p1 looks nicer and is rarer.
Old 02 January 2010, 07:29 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I think the other thing is some(not all) people who said about they P1 engine going bang were the ones who ran them on 95 ron when it should be ran on 97/98 ron.
Old 02 January 2010, 07:40 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

95RON=Big

The other Scooby drivers are the only people who will let you out of a turning though. Big up the Scooby massive!
Old 02 January 2010, 07:56 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by belliott69
being honest mate and people are gonna kill me for this, a p1 versus a evo 5/6 straight out of the box, the evo will beat it nicely but don't forget you don't drive it, the computer controls so much on it that if you ever got in a normal car you'd look like a prat. also the p1 looks nicer and is rarer.
Well the evo 6 i was in the owner sayed 0-60 sub 4 seconds and around 380 bhp. - Pretty quick.

I do love the look of the P1 though and not seen any p1's about. Would love to get it to sub 4 seconds for a 0-60 and is it possible to have something like a high/low switch so low setting will produce say standard 280 bhp or you can flick a switch which will give you an extra 100 bhp - from somewhere
Old 02 January 2010, 08:06 PM
beezor
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71/200
The P1 owners wont like this one bit!

The P1 is a de-tuned Type R in effect it started its life as a Type R then had various bits replaced. They are over priced and certainly not a super car in my book.

Buy a P1, yes slightly cheaper insurance but the dccd has gone and some other toys, Buy a Type R and it still has the toys. I dont own either i own a newage but it would be a type r for me if i had to choose between the 2 models.
i 2nd that
The rumour for many needing the engines rebuilt is due to half of the cars (500) did not get the ecu modified for UK fuel when they came from Japan in order to meet delivery times to customers.
Could be another one of those classic Subaru myths though.
not a myth at all-a LOT have had 2 have engine rebuilds
Old 02 January 2010, 08:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chip-it

!st post and incorrect The spec C is the quickest out of the box impreza.
Old 02 January 2010, 08:33 PM
chip-it
Scooby Newbie

glad got threads going nothing better than diff thoughts,had tommi mak 6.5 much quicker
but in a diff way power delivery instant no lag at all small titanium turbos spool up very quick .but i moved to scooby as most people would rather drive as every day car evo brill on track, as for p1 it is fact many have had rebuilds and they are rare and if you can afford the high cost why not get one they are a classic.