Battery

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2009, 10:35 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Hey all,

Seems like a very stupid question but owning the Scooby for just over a month some things are a bit of an unknown.

The car has a new battery. I haven't driven it for 3 weeks and just tried to start it and the battery was flat but managed to get it jump started by someone. Am really used to having cars that you can leave for a few weeks and they start every time. Do I need to turn the car on once a week or so to keep the battery going as I don't always have time to take it out.

Thanks
Old 24 December 2009, 01:58 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems u have a dud or uncharged battery or you have an added power drain somewhere. ive left mine over a month and had no problems. Fully charge/ test your battery first.
Old 24 December 2009, 02:04 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry 2 hijack your thread. But would anybody know if the higher output alternator off the 2.5 forester would be a direct fit replacement for a my04 wrx ??
Im planning on adding an extra battery in the boot for ice install and been told it would be a straight swap. Anybody done this ?? or any other higher output alternator ???
Old 24 December 2009, 04:44 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Dubzy don't worry go for it.

Took it in quickly for a battery test and it is working today but needs changing. Looks like it is a 420 amp battery and they said that I really need something like a 510 amp one. Wouldn't change it though as they were worried about the immobiliser.

The lad said he could hear some noise but couldn't tell if it something was draining the power as I was ragging it just before.
Old 24 December 2009, 05:20 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

This isn't a Scooby problem mate, your battery doesn't seem to be holding its charge. Does your alternator work alright? That's what charges the battery so if its not doing its job the battery will just go flat. I had that happen to my Clio 16v, just conked out on a roundabout (with a brand new battery) RAC van pulled me off the road for free. I'm no car expert either.
Old 24 December 2009, 05:43 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it is the alternator as had that problem donkey's ears ago with my Citroen (I had just passed my test and it was a gift from my Dad). The car kept cutting out when I was driving and I got a new alternator. Hmmmm! Not sure really.

Am not amazing with this sort of stuff. The car is still under warranty so can take it to the dealer get them to have a look and see just in case it is the alternator.
Old 31 December 2009, 07:11 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice.

Finally got the battery changed today under warranty which was handy. They advised that due to the amount of electronics we're are running that we need to run the car once a week to keep the battery alive. Apparently the tracker affects it too. Ah well all sorted and will keep an eye on it.
Old 31 December 2009, 07:36 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Good, at least you're off and running again.
Old 31 December 2009, 07:45 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Indeed! Not that it has been a hardship taking it out every day to keep the battery from going flat again.