Notices

decat doesnt fit !

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2009, 09:31 AM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decat doesnt fit !

recently purchased brand new decat centre pipe ( HAYWARD & SCOTT ) only to find it doesnt fit, seems too long when i got under car and sized it up ! but... when i was under i noticed the cat is only a small roughly 1ft length part, can this be removed and a straight short pipe added, any ideas where to buy such a part ? or is this not infact the cat and something completly different.

Last edited by mossi; 13 December 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:39 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The decat pipe is only normally a short pipe
Old 13 December 2009, 11:15 AM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
The decat pipe is only normally a short pipe
this is what i got

so what is the small part on the car from the first pics ,about 1 ft in lenght
Old 13 December 2009, 11:33 AM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

The picture of the exhaust you have looks like the section that goes from the rear of the cat to the rear exhaust box. Are you sure they haven't given you the wrong section? The decat pipe section will be much shoter.
Old 13 December 2009, 04:17 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends which car it is,if its a classic then its normally a longer middle section,that joins onto the downpipe.
Newage centre sections are a tad shorter due to the amaller front cat pipe.
Old 13 December 2009, 04:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Veilside - you're talking about a newage four piece system there, not a classic three piece one. Although...

Originally Posted by mossi
recently purchased brand new decat centre pipe ( HAYWARD & SCOTT ) only to find it doesnt fit, seems too long when i got under car and sized it up ! but... when i was under i noticed the cat is only a small roughly 1ft length part,
Ah yes, I can see what's wrong there. The problem is not that your new centre section is wrong, it is that you have a non-standard centre cat and, most importantly, rear exhaust, to which your mid-section obviously won't mate.

As you say the centre cat on your car literally is a centre cat, with a flanges immediately behind it onto which the backbox bolts. The proper classic centre section contains the centre cat (or resonator) and about three feet of pipe directly on the back. The joint between the rear of the centre section and the backbox should be at the front of the rear wheelarches - whereas on yours it's much further forward.

Someone in the past has obviously built a custom (much longer) back section for your car, and fitted it to a centre section that has been modified to match, and now just contains the cat.

You have a choice from here. Either you can buy yourself a standard length back box which will mate to your centre section, or you can go to an exhaust fabricator who will be able to make up a section to replace the middle cat - either from scratch or by cutting down the new one you've just bought and welding a new flange on it.

Edited to add: Mossi, you do have a classic, or do you?

Last edited by Splitpin; 13 December 2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 13 December 2009, 05:08 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

splitpin is right. your centre resonator (its not a cat) is different as is your back box.
centre resonator and its pipe should be same length as the one you have brought.
best solution is to buy a new back box too. then it will all bolt up to the downpipe no problem.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2009, 07:58 PM
mossi
Scooby Regular

bugger, but thanks fellas so i did infact buy the correct centre pipe for my classic 99 ... only without thinking someone had gone to all this trouble to make a custom bloody made one for my car...

so now i have a brand new centre decat pipe thats no good to man or beast, well no good to me, does it look and sound from the numbers that it is infact for a classic as i though and will fit up to 99 ? so i can now try and recoup some of the $$$ i paid out on it..
thanks again
Old 13 December 2009, 10:44 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

by the way, that looks like a magnex pipe, not a haywood. the part number on it looks magnex anyway.
also it could actually be a 01 on ??? xss05/0
Roadrunner Motorsport – Performance products, Exhausts, Induction kits, Air filters, Suspension, Brakes and FSE power boost valves

ive got the magnex centre on my 93 wrx and whilst the length is simular, the bends are sharper on yours??? i think you might have the wrong one anyways!
Old 13 December 2009, 11:53 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mossi
bugger, but thanks fellas so i did infact buy the correct centre pipe for my classic 99 ... only without thinking someone had gone to all this trouble to make a custom bloody made one for my car...
Sod's law. 99 times out of 100 it would have gone on fine.

well no good to me, does it look and sound from the numbers that it is infact for a classic as i though and will fit up to 99 ? so i can now try and recoup some of the $$$ i paid out on it..
It looks right but the key thing is the length, and as DJ says it's difficult to tell just by looking. If nobody else answers I'll measure one tomorrow and let you know what it should be. There are only two lengths - the sort that fits all classics and the sort that fit newages (which are about 4in shorter), so assuming yours is the "classic" length you could advertise it as fitting any GC/GF.
Old 14 December 2009, 02:15 AM
mossi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Sod's law. 99 times out of 100 it would have gone on fine.

It looks right but the key thing is the length, and as DJ says it's difficult to tell just by looking. If nobody else answers I'll measure one tomorrow and let you know what it should be. There are only two lengths - the sort that fits all classics and the sort that fit newages (which are about 4in shorter), so assuming yours is the "classic" length you could advertise it as fitting any GC/GF.
Thanks, Im a relative newbie whats GC/GF stand for ? I will get the tape measure out and measure tomorrow too.