Notices

anyone running over 400/400 on OEM STI 6 speed Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2009, 07:32 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone running over 400/400 on OEM STI 6 speed Clutch

As in title. I know Litchfield JDM STI's i.e type 20 and type 25's do,, but does anyone else run over 400bhp and 400ftlbs on a OEM clutch?

Andrew
Old 29 November 2009, 07:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite alot of people, they are good for 450+lbs ft of torque

Tony
Old 29 November 2009, 08:12 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

blummin 'ell Tony, I wasn't expecting that answer. i thought i was going to get laughed off the forum like i usually am when asking a question

How's about if its done 60k miles - tracked but never launched?
Old 29 November 2009, 08:23 PM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question!!

And would a new oem one withstand launches?Got the chance to buy a new one cheap and i'm gonna be running around that figure soon!
Old 29 November 2009, 10:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by apac
blummin 'ell Tony, I wasn't expecting that answer. i thought i was going to get laughed off the forum like i usually am when asking a question

How's about if its done 60k miles - tracked but never launched?
Your average clutch should last 80-100k miles, so as long as its not right at the top of the bite it should be ok

Tony
Old 29 November 2009, 11:04 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

ki8llr was running 410/400 and martyn j well over 500 for a while. it all depends on how you treat your box
Old 30 November 2009, 07:51 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Your average clutch should last 80-100k miles, so as long as its not right at the top of the bite it should be ok

Tony
Thankyou that makes it encouraging for changing to a litchfield twinscroll turbo in the near future
Old 30 November 2009, 08:43 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

erm...... he is asking about a clutch not a 6 speed gear box
Old 30 November 2009, 12:51 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

During the 'mid life' the diaphram spring exerts a higher clamping pressure.

JohnD
Old 30 November 2009, 01:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine gave up at 360 ft.lbs...... 02STI

dunx
Old 30 November 2009, 01:14 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

In my experience, by the time an STi M/Y02-05 has 350 lbs/ft and 60k mls it is inevatible that you will have some clutch slip becuse of a lack of clamp pressure.
The life of the clutch very much depends on the power and more so on the driver. Untipically knackered at 40k miles. Usually 60-80k for the average driver and some manage 100k but the standard clutch will slip at max torque around 350 lbs /ft.
Old 30 November 2009, 01:32 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Mine ruuning 400ft/lb torue toasted my clutch after approx 6 months. But that was mainly due to the odd launch, if you dont launch it, it could last. Now running Exedy Racing Pink Clutch Kit, takes the power but not as nice to drive
Old 30 November 2009, 04:35 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Mine ruuning 400ft/lb torue toasted my clutch after approx 6 months. But that was mainly due to the odd launch, if you dont launch it, it could last. Now running Exedy Racing Pink Clutch Kit, takes the power but not as nice to drive

hmmmmmm i have an exedy fast road racing 6 speed clutch and its perfect to drive, no judder, easy on the foot just like a standard clutch.

I got mine off API though as got my last clutch off Bob at Aztec and was a disaster, horrendous judder from day one

Last edited by scoobboy; 30 November 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 30 November 2009, 07:16 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobboy
I got mine off API though as got my last clutch off Bob at Aztec and was a disaster, horrendous judder from day one
i will definately make a note of that!!
Old 01 December 2009, 09:14 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been running mine at at 415/398 clutch has never slipped did scoobysprint (all rounds), a few RWYB and trackdays.I have a exedy flywheel multi plate clutch combo in the garage to go in just incase but I havent needed it yet car has only done 21,000 miles tho so there is still time.
Old 01 December 2009, 12:43 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The original Stage 1 Racing friction plate from Exedy can judder (I have one in my own car).

Exedy have got one that does away with the judder problems which we can now supply.
Old 01 December 2009, 01:44 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
The original Stage 1 Racing friction plate from Exedy can judder (I have one in my own car).

Exedy have got one that does away with the judder problems which we can now supply.
BOB - Dont have me get into this argument with you.

You supplied me what was supposedly a stage 1 clutch kit.

The plate was half the thickess of David at API's clutch which is also a 400bhp uprated Exedy Clutch as you stated your clutch could take.

It had an Exedy stamp but from what i heard you got all your clutches from comline which are a standard clutch manufacturer.

The clutch had horrendous judder unlike any other judder clutch i had experienced.

I have heard quite a lot of people has similar issues with the clutches purchased from yourself and didnt get refunded either, but then again those posts miraculously dissapeared.

I asked you to send it to exedy for a report and 2 months later you still had not sent it off and said that you had someone look at the clutch and it seemed fine, doubtful.

My clutch failed well within the 12 months manufacturer warranty and you would not refund me clutch price all you sent me the difference in price you made of £50 which is a disgrace.

It was either take the £50 or get nothing off you in my opinion.

When i got the clutch fitted i informed you of the problems and you even blamed my mechanic on fitting it incorrectly who has 20 years experience working at and with subarus and he said he did not even get that judder from his 700bhp track subaru that uses a non sprung paddle plate.

You also told me you only sold standard OEM clutches now so couldnt replace my clutch.

In my opinion i wouldnt buy a thing off you again.

Last edited by scoobboy; 01 December 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 03:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Our uprated clutches are uprated and do not come from Comline. Don't believe the bull that your current clutch supplier fed you.

At that time we supplied you over a year ago it came from Exedy UKs main distributor.

Judder on the Stage 1s was well known by people and Exedy. Indeed, I have the same clutch on my car and I daresay it suffers more abuse than most, and yes, it judders.

Like I said there is a version now available that does away with the issues of judder. All official Exedy UK kits, not mikey mouse in house ones.

I would like to see you go to your current clutch supplier 11 months later and get any money from them.

It looks like the goodwill gesture was not well received. Not a problem.

Quick question, how long did this clutch last? Should I send it back to Exedy when there are no manufacturing defects?:

YouTube - Subaru- Drag racing - what happens when you launch in 2nd

We do not manufacture clutches, we simply supply them, as supplied by Exedy UK. Our current clutches are coming from Exedy UK directly themselves, the same as you would get from any other reputable seller.
Old 01 December 2009, 03:20 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

My current clutch supplier didnt give me the information about you buying your clutches from comline.

Im sure david at api would not have a problem replacing the clutch to be honest even 11 months later as there is a 12 month warranty in place.

By the way not one launch was done on the clutch.

Your now having the ***** to ask for the £50 back on paypal by opening a dispute, not a chance mate.

You owe me the guts of £800 including me having to go out and buy new clutch kit, flywheel and get fitted.

Well guys this is whats its like trying to get any sort of comeback off this guy so i would stay well clear.
ps its a bit late now sending it back to exedy 3 or 4 months later.

It was supposed to be sent at the time.

You know rightly that your clutches were not up to the task.

So are you gonna keep this paypal dispute up then when you owe me £800???????

Last edited by scoobboy; 01 December 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 05:30 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Carle,

You purchased a Exedy clutch on a GB for something like £300, used it for 11months then had us collect it to have it checked, then proceeded to say you didn't care what anybody, including Exedy had to say about the clutch and you wanted a full refund.

As you said you wasn't happy accepting anybody's verdict on the clutch, I compensated you more than we made out of selling you the clutch as a gesture of goodwill. As it seems you aren't happy with the goodwill gesture I will be requesting it back.

We do not manufacture clutches, Exedy do, and we sell them exactly how they come from there.

We've sold many, many clutches here on SN, but I guess there will always be one or two unhappy customers, which is inevitable considering the volume of people we sell to.

We only sell genuine Exedy products, if you're not happy with them, don't buy genuine Exedy.
Old 01 December 2009, 06:59 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
No Thanks Mate!
Old 01 December 2009, 07:07 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobboy
My current clutch supplier didnt give me the information about you buying your clutches from comline.

Im sure david at api would not have a problem replacing the clutch to be honest even 11 months later as there is a 12 month warranty in place.

By the way not one launch was done on the clutch.

Your now having the ***** to ask for the £50 back on paypal by opening a dispute, not a chance mate.

You owe me the guts of £800 including me having to go out and buy new clutch kit, flywheel and get fitted.

Well guys this is whats its like trying to get any sort of comeback off this guy so i would stay well clear.
ps its a bit late now sending it back to exedy 3 or 4 months later.

It was supposed to be sent at the time.

You know rightly that your clutches were not up to the task.

So are you gonna keep this paypal dispute up then when you owe me £800???????
I'm sorry to hear this story. It's a real shame that there are people out there taking advantage of other peoples enthusiasms and interests by riding on the back of other peoples tried and tested research but selling inferior products by quoting other peoples words and findings.

Last edited by apac; 02 December 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 10:30 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

The clutch Carles is talking about here was removed by me several months ago! Well within the Exedy 12 month warranty period!

Why would you get somebody else to look at it rather than send it back to Exedy UK.

When i removed the clutch i could not believe the wear it had on it considering the low milage Carle does in the car, he is not the sort of chap that launches the car either.
It actually looked like a cheap lined clutch, now if you are so confident you supplied a Genuine Exedy stage 1 clutch my question is why was it not sent back to Exedy as we all know it was within the warranty time frame.

I asked on our local forum if anybody else had purchased clutches from yourself, one of the lads had and when asked about the invoice this was his reply.

"couldnt tell you mate as its binned now, its fair practice but he told me he had just bought a clutch and decided to upgrade so was selling it, then the invoice came with my address on it from another company "

How do you explain that?

Your qoute, Quick question, how long did this clutch last? Should I send it back to Exedy when there are no manufacturing defects?:

You are a supplier, how do you know there was no defects? If it came from Exedy UK what was the problem with sending it back to them to get them to assess it? Thats of course if it came from Exedy UK?

You keep stating you supplied the clutch over a year ago Bob, check how long you have had it back in your possesion, it was returned well within the warranty period.

Just how many clutches have you supplied, or did you ad ficticious names to your clutch GB lists like you do the HDI FMIC GB lists!

Last edited by 71/200; 01 December 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 11:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Carle got in touch with us 11 months into the ownership of his clutch.

He was not interested in what anyone had to say, including Exedy and repeatedly tried to blackmail us that he would post these comments online unless refunded.

Exedy were contacted and said that we would have to go back to their distributors, as that is who it was purchased from. We no longer deal with those distributors, as although official distributors, were untrustworthy in supplying their retail customers and our relationship ended there.

Some people try to use the forums and the power of to get their own way. It is an unfortunate reality.

My offer was quite simple, if the clutch has a manufacturing fault it would be refunded - Carle was not interested in this and still opted for the goodwill gesture instead.

I can understand Carle's frustrations with the clutch only lasting 11 months, but clutches are not guaranteed to last for a certain period of time and can last from 1 day to 100,000+ miles. It's all down to how the clutch is used.

We are now dealing with Exedy directly and would hope to get the clutch sent to them for inspection - it's all rather academic as Carle wasn't interested in the outcome.

We have supplied numerous clutches and have a grand total of 1 returned. Not too shabby.

We have no need to post fictitious names on any GBs or any other underhand tactics used by some other traders.

I still have a clutch on mine from the same batch as Carle's. Is running fine, although as it is the original racing friction plate design, does judder - a known characteristic.

We have a great reputation with customers both here, Ebay and Google Checkout. I guess the old saying "you can't please everyone" is true, as hard as we may try.

Current racing clutches come from Exedy UK direct. Our operations here at Aztec Performance have upscaled somewhat over the last few months and are holding far more stock.

We listen to our customers and take onboard what people want. People wanted a PayPal facility added as a payment option on our website - we added it. People wanted a telephone line to call us on - we added it.

All products (clutches, brakes, FMICs, HID Kits, etc etc) come from our own stocks here in Letchworth and we supply numerous garages, tuners and traders.
Old 01 December 2009, 11:24 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

???????

Last edited by apac; 01 December 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01 December 2009, 11:24 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 71/200
The clutch Carles is talking about here was removed by me several months ago! Well within the Exedy 12 month warranty period!

Why would you get somebody else to look at it rather than send it back to Exedy UK.

When i removed the clutch i could not believe the wear it had on it considering the low milage Carle does in the car, he is not the sort of chap that launches the car either.
It actually looked like a cheap lined clutch, now if you are so confident you supplied a Genuine Exedy stage 1 clutch my question is why was it not sent back to Exedy as we all know it was within the warranty time frame.

I asked on our local forum if anybody else had purchased clutches from yourself, one of the lads had and when asked about the invoice this was his reply.

"couldnt tell you mate as its binned now, its fair practice but he told me he had just bought a clutch and decided to upgrade so was selling it, then the invoice came with my address on it from another company "

How do you explain that?

Your qoute, Quick question, how long did this clutch last? Should I send it back to Exedy when there are no manufacturing defects?:

You are a supplier, how do you know there was no defects? If it came from Exedy UK what was the problem with sending it back to them to get them to assess it? Thats of course if it came from Exedy UK?

You keep stating you supplied the clutch over a year ago Bob, check how long you have had it back in your possesion, it was returned well within the warranty period.

Just how many clutches have you supplied, or did you ad ficticious names to your clutch GB lists like you do the HDI FMIC GB lists!
well said my friend
Old 01 December 2009, 11:40 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

We are now dealing with Exedy directly and would hope to get the clutch sent to them for inspection - it's all rather academic as Carle wasn't interested in the outcome.

Why all of a sudden is the clutch being returned now? I think you will find Carle was very interested in the outcome Bob hence he requested you arrange for the clutch to be inspected, which of course he is still waiting to happen.

Just to remind you, you are responsable under consumer law for the clutch you sold to Carle, the contract is between you and him Carles part of the deal stops with you. Your contract is with Exedy.

You seem to duck away from several questions asked BOB, using the forum is a good way to make people aware of good and bad trading practices, hardly blackmail is it?
Old 02 December 2009, 12:25 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It all in my previous post.

Carle is welcome to pursue this to the fullest if he so desires, but deep down probably already knows that it is a simple case of a burnt out clutch.

I am well aware of our obligations.

I'm sure Carle is capable of speaking for himself.

Like I said, you can't please everyone all the time. We have a better track record than most though
Old 02 December 2009, 12:31 AM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Im sure Carle can talk for himself, lets hope he does some talking to trading standards.

couldnt tell you mate as its binned now, its fair practice but he told me he had just bought a clutch and decided to upgrade so was selling it, then the invoice came with my address on it from another company "

How do you explain that?

Any chance of you answering the above Bob?
Old 02 December 2009, 12:47 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Without knowing what you are actually talking about it would be hard to answer.

Quick Reply: anyone running over 400/400 on OEM STI 6 speed Clutch