temp gauge always on low side

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2009, 08:02 PM
hogboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp gauge always on low side

hi all
ive just noticed my temp gauge never goes above about 1/4 way up the gauge this has only happened in the last few weeks,before that it was always smack in the middle of the gauge when the engine was warm.changed the thermostat still no change.starts and runs ok.
any ideas?
thanks
Old 28 November 2009, 09:17 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
What temp thermostate did you put in?.
Old 29 November 2009, 09:33 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mines the same bu ti think mine is due to having a front bumper with a more open gap where the no.plate goes (it used to have a front mount so the bumper was cut)

my heater is very hot so the engine is upto temp fine but the needle on the dash while moving is always at a 1/4 and if in traffic finally gets to 1/2 way but as soon as i move it goes to 1/4 again

its the original thermostat with fresh coolant,but as i said,the engine temp is fine as heater blows lurvly hot air in the cabin so theres no fault as such,maybe check your front bumper
Old 29 November 2009, 10:23 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Rig: Dropping temp gauge once your moving indicates a faulty thermostat that is sticking open slightly; your heater will still work but not as well as it could.

Warm up times may be longer too (should take 5mins of driving to get nice warm air and the guage in the middle within 15mins of driving).

Hogboy: check the connection on the temp guage sender, presuming its an old impreza (I'm guessing; as it varies between model years), there is a single blade connector behind the header tank under the inlet manifold (but infront of the turbo), if thats corroded, the temp guage will read low (high resistance gives a low reading). Don't confuse it with the coolant temp sensor for the EFI (that has a two pin connector) or the oil pressure switch (thats directly under the alternator).

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 November 2009 at 10:36 AM.