Notices

Cat back system for Hawkeye STI

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2009, 10:00 AM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back system for Hawkeye STI

I currently have the standard Exhaust system on my Hawkeye STI, but the car has PPP so it also has the Prodrive backbox.

I've decided that I want to go for a Cat Back system to try and release a bit of extra power and general burble. What I'm not after is a screaming exhaust that you can hear the otherside of town, just something that's a bit louder than the standard exhaust system and the prodrive backbox.

Can anybody suggest an off the shelf system that fits in with my needs and wants at a reasonable price (£200-£300 bracket).

I must admit I have thought about having a custom system done by MIJ Performance Exhausts - they did my Mondeo ST TDCI and that sounded perfect - YouTube - Mondeo ST TDCI with custom exhaust and decat

Any suggestions welcome.......
Old 25 November 2009, 04:59 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

BTTT.....

Any comments or suggestions on this one guys ?
Old 25 November 2009, 05:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Purely on budget and medium noise ... TSL Group "N" with afterburner deresonated centre pipe. Will give you more burble and the uninterrupted centrepipe will make it rev more freely.
Old 25 November 2009, 05:55 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Was looking at the deal Scooby world have on the Afterburner centre section coupled with the Ninja Backbox - is that a loud combination or is that an "in the middle" type setup ??
Old 25 November 2009, 06:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Will be louder yes. If you get into ninja territory you may as well buy the genuine article and buy a Blitz NurSpec S. I have one on mine and it's the business, build, sound epic.

You could also go for the Blitz Nurspec RX which is a tidy quieter system with the same awesome build and burble.

Blitz UK: Products > Exhausts > Nur Spec-RX

I respect the TSL Grp N, I think the ninja is a poor copy. IMHO.

Mine...

YouTube - 53WRX's Channel
Old 26 November 2009, 01:01 PM
iscoobie
Scooby Newbie

I’ve got an afterburner centre section and a Ninja 1 from Scoobyworld on my Hawkeye STI, and like you I was after that Scooby burble that I used to have in my old 03wrx. I’ve got to say at low revs this setup does the job. But take it past 4/5K rpm and the burble turns into an evil raspy sound Its fairly quiet on motorway cruising and doesn’t annoy the neighbours when you start it up in the morning! Overall…very satisfied with it.
Old 26 November 2009, 01:07 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iscoobie
I’ve got an afterburner centre section and a Ninja 1 from Scoobyworld on my Hawkeye STI, and like you I was after that Scooby burble that I used to have in my old 03wrx. I’ve got to say at low revs this setup does the job. But take it past 4/5K rpm and the burble turns into an evil raspy sound Its fairly quiet on motorway cruising and doesn’t annoy the neighbours when you start it up in the morning! Overall…very satisfied with it.
Sounds exactly like what I'm after. Price seems fairly reasonable as well. Anyone offer any difference between the Ninja and Ninja 2 Backbox ??
Old 26 November 2009, 07:44 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Afterburner

I have a hawkeye (brought 3 weekes ago) as soon as i have ironed out a few problems with it... I am going to go for, an Afterburner vortex back box as i am also wanting to release the burbble
Old 27 November 2009, 10:51 AM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The after burner vortex is pretty loud. I had one on my old 02 WRX. I recently bought a 07 Hawkeye STI which has a Blitz Nurspec S on it. Its sounds amazing but most references Ive seen to Blitz, people seem to have chosen the Nurspec R. Anyone know the difference in sound between the Nurspec S and the Nurspec R?

(Sound files would help this discussion!)
Old 27 November 2009, 10:55 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Will be louder yes. If you get into ninja territory you may as well buy the genuine article and buy a Blitz NurSpec S. I have one on mine and it's the business, build, sound epic.

You could also go for the Blitz Nurspec RX which is a tidy quieter system with the same awesome build and burble.

Blitz UK: Products > Exhausts > Nur Spec-RX

I respect the TSL Grp N, I think the ninja is a poor copy. IMHO.

Mine...

YouTube - 53WRX's Channel

Click on the Blitz link for product differences, click on my Ytube for sound clips of mine.