Notices

Name that part

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2009, 02:04 AM
cusackd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name that part

Hi folks hope you can help me out here, i had an electrical fire and was hoping that someone could help me out with naming parts and sizes or what not. They are shown in below picture labeled 1, 2 and 3. Thanks for help.

Old 23 November 2009, 08:49 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Bad luck, but on the other hand, plenty of potential for it to have been a lot worse given how the injector seems to have been caught up in it, so maybe you got lucky! Do you know how it started?

As for the parts, the easy one first. 3 is the 1/3 head oil breather pipe. Part no 99071AA160 from your Subaru dealer.

The other two highlighted items may or may not be OE. You've got an HKS 3 port boost solenoid on there so it's possible they may have come with that - no doubt someone who knows this item better than me will know. Might also be worth looking up the part number on the solenoid and seeing if you can find a picture of what it comes with. They'll either be one-way diaphragm valves or filters.
Old 23 November 2009, 08:58 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Is there any issue with the hosing that has been burnt, in a health respect? Im sure getting stuck into a car that has been fire damaged is dangerous in some way. Take care until someone with more knowledge arrives!
Old 23 November 2009, 09:18 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
Is there any issue with the hosing that has been burnt, in a health respect?
One presumes Cusackd will be replacing everything that has been affected, but, as a general point, burning plastics will only give off poisonous fumes when they're burning. You seem to be implying that there's a signficant lingering health risk. There shouldn't be, beyond the obvious concerns around leaving fire-damaged stuff in place that then subsequently fails.

Im sure getting stuck into a car that has been fire damaged is dangerous in some way.
Yes, getting stuck inside a car suffering fire damage would present the danger of being killed by death.

(Great record, horrible way to go).
Old 23 November 2009, 09:26 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

This is what I was referring to, it took a bit of finding though:-

Carmarthenshire County Council are currently working with the Fire brigade and the Police Authority to ensure that anyone who goes near a vehicle that has been burned out is aware of the serious risk to their health

Florolastomec, or Vento, is a material that is being used to make brake seals/fuel pipes and possibly other rubber/plastic substitutes.This material becomes dangerous after it has been burned as the material melts into a highly corrosive acid which if it gets onto the skin cannot be removed.
The only treatment if you have this material on your skin is amputation
Old 23 November 2009, 10:13 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

This is what I was referring to, it took a bit of finding though:-
Lol. Can't imagine why.

Fluoroelastomers in motor vehicle repair (MVR)
Old 23 November 2009, 10:25 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Because my google skills are waning. Im surprised you werent aware if the info is so easy to access.
Old 23 November 2009, 10:33 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I was aware of the urban myth (albeit from f'ing years ago), I didn't know you were repeating it until you told us what you were on about.
Old 23 November 2009, 10:47 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
I was aware of the urban myth (albeit from f'ing years ago), I didn't know you were repeating it until you told us what you were on about.
OK, I must admit Ive never seen an ex-mechanic with an arm missing due to this phenomenon, but there is probably one somewhere.
Is it regarded as an urban myth? If so, fair play.
Old 23 November 2009, 11:04 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

OK, I must admit Ive never seen an ex-mechanic with an arm missing due to this phenomenon, but there is probably one somewhere. Is it regarded as an urban myth? If so, fair play.
Read the Health and Safety Executive page I linked to. There was one bloke who had part of a finger amputated in one specific incident, but it was more bad luck and combination of circumstances than any genuine danger from the chemical, which would normally burn off (i.e. evaporate) and even when it doesn't, any burn can normally be easily treated by the sort of stuff you would normally find in a comprehensive workplace first aid kit.

That didn't stop it getting blown up out of all proportion and turned into something it isn't. Ironically that's exactly the same as the way most Scoobynet non-facts start out.

The fact that it has been repeated on a supposedly authoritative website is a bit naughty - but that just goes to show that councils employ the easily misled.

Last edited by Splitpin; 23 November 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 23 November 2009, 11:06 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I see. Oh well, no harm done, except to the guy with 9.75 fingers.
Old 23 November 2009, 11:23 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I've just emailed the council with a link to the HSE site, politely suggesting they edit or withdraw the page, so if nothing else, you may have done your bit to prevent this one unnecessarily scaring someone in future.
Old 23 November 2009, 11:50 AM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like an EVC stepping motor type controller and usually those two items i.e 1 & 2would be inline filters......

Number 2 connects to the wastegate
Number 1 connects to the turbo compressor housing nipple

As mentioned above i would double check everything to do with fuel, before turning it over. I'm sure your already aware of what you need to check though.

good luck
Old 23 November 2009, 12:58 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
I've just emailed the council with a link to the HSE site, politely suggesting they edit or withdraw the page, so if nothing else, you may have done your bit to prevent this one unnecessarily scaring someone in future.
Was it Camarthenshire council? Jesus, can they get nothing right?!
Old 23 November 2009, 03:37 PM
cusackd
Scooby Regular

Alright cheers for the help lads and the health warnings, when i was driving down the road i smelt fuel as soon as i stopped the car she burst into flames so i reckon my fuel line came loose but not to worry its forced me to recondition my inlet manifold buy new spacers buy new injectors, fuel rail all new vacuum hosing and run a retarded parrallel fuel system so loads of fun but most of it was gonna be done any way now i just need to get these inline filters. Any way cheers for the help lads.