Notices

ECU Help - After Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2009, 01:56 AM
angusallan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Help - After Mods

I have a 1998 Impreza Terzo with walbro 255 fuel pump and full decated exhaust system.

My mate was breaking his MY97 Impreza RA. So i decided to buy his larger tmic, vf22 turbo, 440cc injectors, induction kit and ecu.

I have fitted everything but when i plugged in his ecu to my car the engine is just turning and turning ( as if the immobiliser is not letting it start ). My key has a chip in it but the key from the RA doesn't.

I then tried my original ecu back into the car and tried to start it up, after a good few turns it started up...... but it is popping and banging violently - as if it is overfuelling.

Could anyone advise me if there is any way of getting his ecu to work in my car as it is mapped for the setup??

P.s another thing i noticed when i removed the ecu from my terzo was that it had an sti sticker on it and then a silver sticker on the side of it which said something like "Prodrive Warranty Void if Removed 00265". does anyone know if this is the standard ecu in the terzo's?
Old 07 November 2009, 05:08 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angusallan
My mate was breaking his MY97 Impreza RA. So i decided to buy his larger tmic, vf22 turbo, 440cc injectors, induction kit and ecu.
Can see from the outset where your problem is.

I have fitted everything but when i plugged in his ecu to my car the engine is just turning and turning ( as if the immobiliser is not letting it start ).
You're more correct than you think. UK and JDM classic ECUs have a different pinout configuration, to account for the immobiliser fitted in the UK models.

In order to get the engine to start and run on JDM ECU, you need to change the pinout configuration of the ECU plugs to match. Before you go searching for the information you need to do this, however...

I then tried my original ecu back into the car and tried to start it up, after a good few turns it started up...... but it is popping and banging violently - as if it is overfuelling.
Again, you're more correct than you realise. It is overfuelling because your UK ECU is calibrated for 380cc injectors and you've just swapped in some 440's. So the cylinders are receiving something like 15% more fuel than the ECU thinks it's giving them.

Could anyone advise me if there is any way of getting his ecu to work in my car as it is mapped for the setup??
That ECU is not mapped for the setup you have created. You have bolted a VF22 and some 440cc injectors onto a UK specification EJ20G engine. The STi ECU is expecting an STi version 3 EJ20K - inc cams, MAF and so-forth, as well as the injectors and turbo. Even if you got it turning you have a mongrel configuration that wouldn't run correctly. The incompatibilities could be fixed easily by remapping, but of course, you can't do that on a 97-8 ECU.

If you want that STi ECU in your car with an setup that runs properly, you will need to fix the loom and transplant the entire engine assembly from your brother's car - assuming it's still good and your insurance will wear it of course.

Otherwise you'd be better off refitting your standard bits, especially seeing as...

P.s another thing i noticed when i removed the ecu from my terzo was that it had an sti sticker on it and then a silver sticker on the side of it which said something like "Prodrive Warranty Void if Removed 00265". does anyone know if this is the standard ecu in the terzo's?
That's a PPP ECU. Don't know whether they were standard in the Terzo or available as an extra, but that's what it is. So already you have more power than the standard 208bhp.
Old 07 November 2009, 05:14 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two ECUs are not compatible.
Give up this idea of taking an ECU mapped for one engine and putting it in an other car and thinking it will be OK.
100% you will not get optimum performance and chances are it could end with expensive engine damage.
You now need an after market ECU, Apexi or better still Simtek.
Old 07 November 2009, 01:36 PM
jadams
Scooby Regular

whats the reasoning to not being able to map the 97 98 ecu?

job f*cked then, if i were you angus i would do the right thing and sell the bits to your mate john hes abit of a legend anyway.
Old 07 November 2009, 09:46 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

97/98 ECU is not supported by Ecutek or any other mapping system as far as I know, hence the need for an after market ECU.
Old 08 November 2009, 11:30 AM
jadams
Scooby Regular

I heard wallace performance can map them. if prodrive can map it surely other companys can.
Old 08 November 2009, 11:42 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Beware of stickers, some scoundrels add them when selling bits to make more profit...

dunx
Old 08 November 2009, 09:33 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I heard wallace performance can map them. if prodrive can map it surely other companys can.
Why not get in touch with Wallace Performance and get it from the horses mouth as it were and let us know what they say. I am about these ECUs all the time and I have no knowledge of a 97/98 ECU being remappable which is why we always use an aftermarket ECU on 97/98 cars. 93-96 can be done with the ESL system and 99/00 can Ecutek but I would be very happy to learn that Wallace Performance can actually do 97/98.
Old 08 November 2009, 10:09 PM
jadams
Scooby Regular

try'd to phone them yesterday but they shut at 12.30
Old 08 November 2009, 10:26 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Change everything back to std and hang on for a bit while ESL finish live testing their 97/98 remap solution, they are nearly there with it!! Hopefully it should be sometime before xmas and you'll be able to get a full custom remap for your setup using your original ECU.
Old 09 November 2009, 09:19 PM
jadams
Scooby Regular

turns out wallace performance can map 97/98 ecus
Old 09 November 2009, 10:42 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Is it a full custom remap or just a generic chip??
Old 11 November 2009, 01:59 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

turns out wallace performance can map 97/98 ecus
As with everyone else, Wallace Performance CANNOT map the 97-98 ECU. They fit a Dastek Unichip. £595 fitted.

ESL are/have been developing their system for some time now to cater for M/Y 97-98 and I understand release is not far away.Most people tuning a 97-98 would have fitted an Apexi aftermarket ECU but the Simtek has taken a lot of that business as it has far more refinement and there is no need for an additional boost controller like the AVC-R as the Simtek has a fully mappable 3-D map for boost.

Last edited by harvey; 12 November 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11 November 2009, 04:04 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

ESL are Live testing their V3-V4 solution as we speak, fingers crossed it will definately happen before xmas!!

A chip solution is not the way to go. It might have been many years ago when the only other solution was an aftermarket ECU but these days there is no excuse for the whole range of Impreza ECU's!! There is now ESL for V1-V2 and soon V3-V4(ESL willing), and there is EcuTek for V5-V6 right now as well as Open Source and EcuTek for V7+.

Take your pick!!
Old 11 November 2009, 04:27 PM
jadams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
As with everyone else, Wallace Performance CANNOT map the 97-98 ECU. They fit a Dastek Unichip. £595 fitted.

ESL are/have been developing their system for some time now to cater for M/Y 97-98 and I understand release is not far away.Most people tuning a 97-98 would have fitted an Apexi aftermarket ECU but the Simtek has taken a lot of that business as it has far more refinement and there is no need for an additional boost controller like the AVC-R as the Simtek has a fully mappable 3-D map.

same result
Old 11 November 2009, 04:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
ESL are Live testing their V3-V4 solution as we speak, fingers crossed it will definately happen before xmas!!

A chip solution is not the way to go. It might have been many years ago when the only other solution was an aftermarket ECU but these days there is no excuse for the whole range of Impreza ECU's!! There is now ESL for V1-V2 and soon V3-V4(ESL willing), and there is EcuTek for V5-V6 right now as well as Open Source and EcuTek for V7+.

Take your pick!!
I take it you mean years (my92-96 phase 1 & 99-00 phase 2, just the phase 1.5's that you cant do for the classics) rather than versions as normal wrx's/uk cars dont have versions but apart from that, there are advantages going to an aftermarket ecu, especially on older cars with old ecu's, though it may be nice to have a cheap option, most people will probably still upgrade their ecu if they are going for decent power output
Old 11 November 2009, 05:11 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

There's nothing wrong with the older ECU's, in fact they are cracking bits of kit with full 3D boost and wastegate duty maps as well as kncok control...not just detection!!

With ESL V1-4 can run MAFLESS and benefit from Launch Control and ALS just like any expensive aftermarket ECU offers. Upto 450bhp with supporting mods could be handled with an ESL V1-4 solution or come to that with open source or EcuTek remap for newage ECU's.

Unless you're talking big power the std ECU will do the job!!

Regardless of where the car comes from generally speaking 92-96 cars are V1-2, 97-98 cars are V3-4, 99-00 cars are V5-6 and 2001 cars on are V7+ and that's how the majority of scooby owners know their cars. Less common is being known by their Phase allocation although you are correct.

A remap is not a cheap option but the correct option until you exceed the capability of the ECU.
Old 11 November 2009, 06:47 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

same result
Unfortunately it is not the same result. You can make adjustments with the Dastek chip but you cannot do with a Dastek chip what you can do with an Ecutek on MY99/00 or a Simtek on MY97/98 or any other year for that matter. I don't want to be picky but if you think it is the same result perhaps your ECU knowledge is somewhat simplistic.
If you want a Dastek Chip that is fine but don't mislead people to think it is a fully mappable system.
Old 11 November 2009, 11:34 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Agreed...a piggyback system doesn't have the breadth or depth of control that either the std or aftermarket ECU has.

Being able to make a few adjustments does not a remap make!!
Old 11 November 2009, 11:38 PM
jadams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Unfortunately it is not the same result. You can make adjustments with the Dastek chip but you cannot do with a Dastek chip what you can do with an Ecutek on MY99/00 or a Simtek on MY97/98 or any other year for that matter. I don't want to be picky but if you think it is the same result perhaps your ECU knowledge is somewhat simplistic.
If you want a Dastek Chip that is fine but don't mislead people to think it is a fully mappable system.

simplistic would be correct, im not saying im a guru by any means, but i never said it was fully mappable, what i said wallace performance can map 97/98 ecus thus meaning they can change the standard ecu (in what ever form) to run different applications. the difference are technicalities on how their chip varies from others availible which wasnt the question.

Last edited by jadams; 06 January 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11 November 2009, 11:53 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

No offence jadams and please don't take it the wrong way because this isn't meant to be an 'I'm smarter than you are' thing.

A piggyback system doesn't remap the ECU in any way shape or form. It sits in between the ECU and the various sensors and injectors changing the vaues of signals to and from in order to get the desired result. There is no remapping of any ECU with the Dastek chip so their statement is not only wrong but very misleading.
Old 12 November 2009, 12:17 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jadams
simplistic would be correct, im not saying im a guru by any means, but i never said it was fully mappable, what i said wallace performance can map 97/98 ecus thus meaning they can change the standard ecu (in what ever form) to run different applications.
If that's what you were trying to say, you are incorrect. Sticking a piggyback device like the Dastek in your car will not "allow the ECU to run different applications" in any way shape or form. And, without wanting to labour the point, your original claim was that "Wallace Performance can map 97-98 ECUs". They can't.

All a piggyback device does is alter signals going in and out of the standard ECU to fool it into permitting more boost, different mixture, or whatever.

The only way to "make the ECU run different applications" is to reprogram the microcontroller in the ECU itself, and on this, you are wrong, and Harvey, Scoobiewrx555, and so-forth are correct. They're not being arsey, they're being accurate.

The bottom (how apt) line is that they do have greater knowledge than you. That isn't an insult, it's a fact.

Now, back to my "MY99 Subaru ECU as christmas light controller" project...
Old 12 November 2009, 12:18 AM
jadams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
No offence jadams and please don't take it the wrong way because this isn't meant to be an 'I'm smarter than you are' thing.

A piggyback system doesn't remap the ECU in any way shape or form. It sits in between the ECU and the various sensors and injectors changing the vaues of signals to and from in order to get the desired result. There is no remapping of any ECU with the Dastek chip so their statement is not only wrong but very misleading.
absolutly no offence taken. my point being piggyback or not the ecu is changed to suit a different purpose ie bigger turbo injectors whatever.
Old 12 November 2009, 12:24 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

absolutly no offence taken. my point being piggyback or not the ecu is changed to suit a different purpose ie bigger turbo injectors whatever.
That is not what you originally claimed, which is why the others pulled you up.

And the difference between a piggyback device and a reprogram of the main microcontroller is in no way as inconsequential as you are making out. Piggyback devices are a pretty sh*t way to change things in comparison with a full remap - as you would acknowledge if you actually understood the difference. They tend to be imprecise, and very limited in their effect.
Old 12 November 2009, 12:28 AM
jadams
Scooby Regular

also when wallace performance where asked can you map a 97/98 ecu the reply was yes! not, well we acually fit a dastek chip which isnt by anymeans a remap because a piggyback system doesn't remap the ECU in any way shape or form. It sits in between the ECU and the various sensors and injectors changing the vaues of signals to and from in order to get the desired result.

anybody fancy taking a breath before shooting the sh*t out of the messenger

ironically its now me being a dick about it but the techy guys out there have to see that not every topic on remaps has to be a software lesson
not everybody needs to know that a piggyback chip is imprecise and limited in their effect compared to a remap. given the options i would go for the piggyback chip for ease and cost. not that it makes any difference to me cause ive got a newage.

Last edited by jadams; 12 November 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12 November 2009, 12:32 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If you think any of the above is a software lesson, you've a lot to learn.

And, none of this is shooting the messenger either. Whether you like it or not, one of the realities of online forums is that when someone posts something that isn't correct, someone who knows better will correct the info. If that didn't happen, folk who didn't know better would believe all sorts of bollocks, so don't take it so personally.
Old 12 November 2009, 12:41 AM
jadams
Scooby Regular

i dont take it personally

notice the plonker that started this thread hasnt replied. bet hes sitting laughing.
Old 12 November 2009, 01:10 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Obviously you do not appreciate the difference between a Dastek chip and a mappable ECU. No big deal. It would be unfortunate if others were mislead by your posts, hence my coming back.

the other difference is your being a dick trying to make a point and show greater knowledge. take the stage, you do. i bow my head and flash my ****
I don't feel any desire to to show greater knowledge than someone with a basic simplistic view. I don't need to or have the inclination. If you feel bowing your head and flashing your **** is necessary you have my pity mate.
Don't listen to me but listen to the other guys, some of whom will know more about some things than me anyway.

Last edited by harvey; 12 November 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12 November 2009, 01:44 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

notice the plonker that started this thread hasnt replied. bet hes sitting laughing.
Could simply be that he learned everything he needed from the earlier posts and has nothing more to ask. As for you calling him a plonker, he came in with some incorrect assumptions, as many do, asked if anyone knew what might be wrong and will hopefully have learned from both his experience and the advice he's received as a result. That's what the forum is about.

If he's laughing, who's he laughing at? The people who've advised him or the chippy newb who thinks he knows better?
Old 12 November 2009, 08:23 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Calling someone a Plonker or a Dick is not called for so you clearly have a problem.
The difference between a Dastek chip and an Apexi or Simtek remap on a medium power WRX could easily be 25 bhp. I hope that is simplistic enough for you to understand.
Please don't mislead other board members and when you do be big enough to accept the correction.