Notices

Hybrid FMIC induction kit options

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 12:01 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid FMIC induction kit options

Has anyone fitted an under bonnet induction cone with Hybrid FMIC fitted? I've got a Newage STI and can't see how anything can fit unless you're running a MAFless set up.

The ABS pump is in the way in the corner and the FMIC pipework is in the way towards the rear. What are the options

Anyone got some pictures of their installs?

Anders
Old 31 October 2009, 03:24 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a cold air intake pipe should come with the GDB kit. All you then need is a filter on the end of the pipe for inside the front wing. Who supplied you with the kit. The cold air intake piping should be included but the filter will be about £50 extra. Try speaking to Harvey Smith. Have look at his group buy and look at the bugeye photo in the thread this will show you where the pipe goes. you are better off with a CAIK than a heat soaked induction filter cone on top of the engine.

Last edited by apac; 31 October 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 05:28 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a bigger cone than supplied with the Hybrid FMIC as running circa 400bhp and Harvey recommended fitting a bigger one. Not sure if he means a bigger in-wing, or upgrade to an under bonnet kit.

Here's the thread:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post9023511

Anders
Old 31 October 2009, 05:41 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Anders, it should be ok for around 400BHP(the pipe that comes with the kit). For what it's worth my brother managed to fit a RCM kit in his(MD321T), but it was a tight fit and he had to do a bit of a bodge job on the filter to get it to fit.
Old 31 October 2009, 10:33 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

I spoke to Harvey via email at length on this subject. He advised me to fit a large cone filter rather than the inner wing filter. I purchased a Hybrid Fmic but sold it on as an Aps came up cheaper than cheap it also cam with the RCMS kit so i fitted that. Its tight but fits. You should be able to get it to fit by using a different Silicone coupler to join it up.

From Memory the Hybrid pipes run in a similar fashion on the turbo side.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:37 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

The hybrid uses the hole closer to the wheel arch for the FMIC pipework. I can move the catch can, but the brake pipes on top of ABS pump look in the way. Here's a pic

Bluenose, any pics of your brothers install?

Anders
Old 31 October 2009, 11:52 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I'll get him to post some up tomorrow.
Old 01 November 2009, 09:06 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Top man
Old 01 November 2009, 09:57 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The problem is that the space in the inner wing is restricted and the size of filter that can go in there becomes restrictive as power increases. Around 400 bhp and it is worth fitting a bigger filter but it has to be in the engine bay as there is not enough inner wing room. I actually have figures showing the constriction and various people that have followed my advise can attest to the improvement from a bigger cone. If you retain the MAF sensor it requires a degree of initiative including a dog leg silicon joiner available from Roger Clark Motorsport. If you have no MAF it is a doddle but I do assure you it is worth the effort even when you do have a MAF.
Old 02 November 2009, 09:47 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

Do you know if they fitted the RCM induction kit? The only sensible option that will fit is the 170mm tall cone filter shown on the link below. The filter doesn't look that much bigger than the K&N in the wing, but the flange mounting area is 161mm compared to about 80mm on the wing mounted filter and that must help air flow.

Roger Clark Motorsport - RCM Product Detail

Are these the dog leg silicon joiners you refer to?

Roger Clark Motorsport - RCM Store

Anders
Old 02 November 2009, 11:03 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

By the way, what bhp is the Apexi cone for MY99/00 WRX/STIs rated?
Old 03 November 2009, 08:08 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If you speak to Olly at RCMS he can give you the dog legs. They are silicon joiners with a kink and offset. We have fitted a couple of large cones but retaining the Hybrid MAF carrier. Unfortunately I did not take any photographs. It is down to a bit of skilled fitting work and imagination. I guess you won't want to cut any of the inner wing metal but that is exactly what we did on one of the installations.
The problem is in retaining the MAF. As soon as you go on to a Simtek and delete the MAF everything becomes simple.
Just another bit of information. K+N will tell you that the filter on the end of the APS cold air kit is rated at 309 bhp. Now this operates OK well beyond that but obviously by the time you get to 380 bhp it is restricting air flow.
Always fit the largest air filter you can reasonably get in the space available.
Old 04 November 2009, 03:10 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Just another bit of information. K+N will tell you that the filter on the end of the APS cold air kit is rated at 309 bhp. Now this operates OK well beyond that but obviously by the time you get to 380 bhp it is restricting air flow.
Not strictly true. The RU-3130 filter that is in the APS CAIK is rated to 310hp for a NA car however it is rated to 558hp (310+80%) on a turbo motor. I was worried when I read that last night but on speaking to K&N today that is the info they have given.
Old 04 November 2009, 09:45 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

If you speak to Olly at RCMS he can give you the dog legs. They are silicon joiners with a kink and offset. We have fitted a couple of large cones but retaining the Hybrid MAF carrier. Unfortunately I did not take any photographs. It is down to a bit of skilled fitting work and imagination. I guess you won't want to cut any of the inner wing metal but that is exactly what we did on one of the installations.
The problem is in retaining the MAF. As soon as you go on to a Simtek and delete the MAF everything becomes simple.
Always fit the largest air filter you can reasonably get in the space available.
I'll have a chat with Olly tomorrow. Don't like the idea of hacking the inner wing, so I'll buy the dog leg joiner and the induction trumpet first to see what size filter I can fit in.

Do you know if the K&N filters RCMS supply are designed specifically for them? I can't find a filter with 161mm mounting flange on K&N's web site:

K&N Universal Round Tapered Cone Air Filters

A Solaris ECU will be fitted sometime in the future, but not until the engine's been rebuilt.

Anders
Old 05 November 2009, 12:11 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Not strictly true. The RU-3130 filter that is in the APS CAIK is rated to 310hp for a NA car however it is rated to 558hp (310+80%) on a turbo motor. I was worried when I read that last night but on speaking to K&N today that is the info they have given.
The point is that beyond 310 bhp the vacuum depression created by the small filter is increasing. Yes the turbo charger can overcome it but it is still a load on the turbo and if it can be removed then clearly the turbo performs that much better.
Old 05 November 2009, 06:29 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

I have a Hybrid kit with CAI fitted to my car.

Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner managed to fit a bigger filter in the wing, now running 450bhp.
Old 07 November 2009, 04:54 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

It would help others if you could give us the filter make and part number.
Old 07 November 2009, 02:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Andy.F and John Banks tested the APS CAK with the K&N and found it to be NO restriction at 420bhp iirc and Andy.F recommended it for anything upto 440bhp.

Original thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...t-options.html

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 07 November 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07 November 2009, 04:39 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

It would help others if you could give us the filter make and part number.
Alan or Martyn would be best placed to advise.
Old 07 November 2009, 04:55 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Granbys thread in Projects shows the bigger filter he used
Old 07 November 2009, 05:36 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I checked Granbys thread, he's using APS FMIC / CAIK:

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ml#post8947463

I'll probably fit the RCMS kit under bonnet, it looks a quality piece of kit.

Anders
Old 07 November 2009, 09:32 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I cannot comment on other people's testing but I can repeat my findings which have proven similar on a number of other installations.
The car with APS CAK produced 417 bhp at G-Force at a rolling road day. It was the most powerful Subaru at the time. Chris Davies, Australian operator of the RR with a knowledge of APS products suggested I get rid of the APS CAK. I returned the following week with quite a large cylindrical K+N in the engine bay. No other mods. 434 bhp. I then went on to Swindon and Bob Rawle remapped the car. On return to G-Force 451 bhp.
34 bhp for a bigger filter in place of the APS CAK and a remap.
I am not interested in the conclusions reached by others because I have repeated these results on numerous occassions.
Fortunately guys like Andy Kinden, Iddy/Paul Armin and many others have taken my advice and have spectacular results which validate my position.
I would also point out that I have invested quite a bit of money in magnahelix guages and as a result can determine accurately how efficient or otherwise an induction system may be. I don't know of anyone else making regular use of this accurate equipment.
Old 07 November 2009, 09:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If you are staying with the CAK, put a bit of effort into getting the biggest filter in there that is physically possible.
Old 08 November 2009, 09:53 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The dog legs are also available in blue with different diameters for different models and years.

Also available in clear aluminium.

I was at Roger Clarks yesterday for the best part of the day and brought back the kit above which is for an STi 7. There are other kits for other models/years.
RCMS also do plain trumpets so you can make your own kit and these are an absolute godsend if you run a Simtek or similar with no MAF sensor. You can build a very effective induction system for not a lot of money.

Last edited by harvey; 08 November 2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08 November 2009, 10:00 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

classic with a harvey hybrid fmic and aps caik with a big k&n filter

Last edited by Ian; 08 November 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08 November 2009, 01:11 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

Are you reselling these now? If so, I'll take a blue dog leg hose and a Aluminium kit with MAF mount.

Edited to say this might give me an excuse to upgrade to a Solaris, so hold on that for time being while I investigate

Cheers

Anders

Last edited by Anders_WR1; 08 November 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09 November 2009, 09:27 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Ok, I've had a look at mine today

The existing set up

I bought a bigger filter (RCM) after reading some of Harveys posts, truoble is getting it too fit, had intended on bolting it straight onto my existing set up but it dont fit, The filter dosent clear the pipe from the front mount, Dosent look too bad here

But try closing the bonnet lol

As im using a Simtek i no longer need the MAF but dont know of a way to join the filter to what ever will fill the space of the MAF

Another thing i could do is not use the dog leg and just run some kind of pipe or hose directly from the turbo intake pipe to where the filter is in the pic, but then again what do i use?

Another thing is the pipe from the intercooler, do the Hybrid ones not use the second hole nearest the boost control valve

Old 09 November 2009, 10:51 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Dunk, they are useful pictures - puts everything in to scale and gives me some light at the end of the tunnel for fitting mine. I recon you need one of these for a MAF less set up:

RCM 80mm spun trumpet £50 + VAT.

The hybrid FMIC's do use the second hole nearer wheel arch, so it should make life a bit easier. You don't have the ABS pump in the way though like mine.

Anders
Old 09 November 2009, 10:59 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
Dunk, they are useful pictures - puts everything in to scale and gives me some light at the end of the tunnel for fitting mine. I recon you need one of these for a MAF less set up:

RCM 80mm spun trumpet £50 + VAT.

The hybrid FMIC's do use the second hole nearer wheel arch, so it should make life a bit easier. You don't have the ABS pump in the way though like mine.

Anders
I "had" an intercooler spray bottle in there but got shot of it lol

How does that trumpet fix to the filter though?

If you look at the filter it has four bolt holes on it

Last edited by RA Dunk; 09 November 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09 November 2009, 11:15 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

You'll need to sell that on, but you can take off the K&N filter by slackening the massive jubilee clip and fit on to the new trumpet. They all use a 161mm inner flange filter...but measure it to be sure.

Anders

Quick Reply: Hybrid FMIC induction kit options