Notices

lurching unsmooth power delivery on wrx bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2009, 02:43 PM
matt6124
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lurching unsmooth power delivery on wrx bugeye

Hello, I have owned my MY01 bugeye wrx for just over a year. Since I have owned the car the power delivery has not been very smooth once the turbo comes in around 2500rpm. The power delivery isnt smooth and seems to come in small stages, is this normal? I have noticed recently becoming worse or may just be my imagination. It almost becomes frustrating while driving normally then putting my foot down and having unsmooth acceleration. Any ideas as to what this might be? Cant seem to find any info on the forum search.
Old 23 October 2009, 04:28 PM
matt6124
Scooby Newbie

25 views and no reply
Old 23 October 2009, 07:34 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

my bug did the same too.i changed the spark plugs,replaced induction kit with standard airbox/panel filter,and original d/v and it improved a lot.wether this will help you i dont know.have you tried an ecu re-boot.have you modded it.i dont claim to be all knowing but there are one or two clever guys on this site who hopefully will see your thread.
Old 23 October 2009, 07:47 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt6124
25 views and no reply

the 25 probably don't know what could be causing the fault, other wise you'd have 25 saying "dunno"

could be, as suggested, igniton probs, failing coil pack, leads, boost leak, wastegate sticking, cat collapsed.

Last edited by gallois; 23 October 2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 23 October 2009, 07:52 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

my bugeye is pretty crap till its had a warm up the turbo realy only starts tu spool up when hot bit hesitant when cold the power delivery seems tu come in stages on mine dont know if this is right ive had mine a year and its my first suburu be interesting to the op and me what the outcome could be
Old 24 October 2009, 02:34 PM
matt6124
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by milliemoo
my bug did the same too.i changed the spark plugs,replaced induction kit with standard airbox/panel filter,and original d/v and it improved a lot.wether this will help you i dont know.have you tried an ecu re-boot.have you modded it.i dont claim to be all knowing but there are one or two clever guys on this site who hopefully will see your thread.
Yeh the engine is standard, just a prodrive back box. I would change the spark plugs but they dont look all that easy to get to. Did it take long to do? How would I do an ecu reboot? I see your from kings lynn, im at marham myself.
Old 24 October 2009, 02:38 PM
matt6124
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gallois
the 25 probably don't know what could be causing the fault, other wise you'd have 25 saying "dunno"

could be, as suggested, igniton probs, failing coil pack, leads, boost leak, wastegate sticking, cat collapsed.
lol yeh, i was assuming it would be a common, easy fix such as MAF sensor or some other sensor.
Old 24 October 2009, 07:28 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

spark plugs are pretty simple if you make some room ie remove airfilter box assembly on the driver side,unbolt the two coil packs and thats side is ready for plug removal.on the pass' side remove battery and washer resovoir and again the two coil packs and thats that.be careful when fitting plugs not to cross thread em.for an ecu re-boot just disconnect battery for a while and the ecu will reset itself by changing the ignition timing to more advance i believe(someone correct me if im wrong lol).this can be done while your doin the plugs. up the norfolk boys ooh arr
Old 25 October 2009, 10:51 AM
matt6124
Scooby Newbie

ahh ok I think its time i invested in a set of good spark plugs then, recommend any type? champion? In that case I did an ecu reset the other day while doing another job and made no difference. Ive always kinda felt as if the car has been underpowered, but then I ride a sports bike and just think its cause im comparing to my bike. Im planning on getting a new exhaust in the long run and a remap.
Old 25 October 2009, 01:32 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

ngk id use every time.use them in my duke too.