total noob question...

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2009, 12:24 AM
andyjdmteg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default total noob question...

hi,
iv'e just "inherited" my first impreza and after 10 years of vtec it's a refrshing change. but anyway..
iv'e spent alot of time and money on it over the past month giving it a mini "restoration". The car is running pretty rough and is definetly holding back on power/boost with huge flatspots. After doing some research on this forum i changed the maf for a new one. Bearing in mind iv'e just done the plugs,oil and filter, airfilter and fuel filter and dumped a load of slicol 50 through it.
none of this has helped so i decided to try and read the ecu error codes and checked out the excellent guide on here.
problem is i cant find the green or black plugs, i've had the clocks out,the steering wheel cover off and the cover down by the accelerator pedal.
so without wanting to sound to much like an idiot..Help!
(by the way it's a 96 wrx wagon and sorry for the essay!)
cheers
Old 19 October 2009, 12:53 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes
Old 19 October 2009, 11:17 AM
andyjdmteg
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reply mate but as i've already said i checked out this guide and other posts in order to find the location of these connectors. ive checked behind the trim in the footwell, behind the clocks and beneath the steering coloumn housing. There are no green/black tipped connectors in sight.
Old 19 October 2009, 12:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your looking at anything from dodgy coil packs to HT leads, it will either cost you a small fortune in buying parts or just take it to a speciallist who will give you a rundown on what is needed

Tony
Old 19 October 2009, 01:31 PM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Did this for the first time on my '96 at the weekend. Nothing should need to be removed at all, I stuck my head in the driver's footwell & looked up about halfway up the column following the loom & there they were.

They had obviously never been used before as were still taped up to the loom. But, I must admit it did take me several minutes because I only saw the backs of the plugs so it appeared at first glance that they were plugged into something! The plugs are only very small connectors, not as big as the usual scart or eobd sockets or anything like that which I expected at first. My green plugs are almost like flourescent green if it helps as well. If you find the large yellow scartish connector, then you can only be a few mms away from the others.

Assuming it's a version 2 & not 3, remove the four coil packs off the plugs & remove the rubbers off the ends - look for cracking on the plastic ends.
Old 19 October 2009, 01:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by cushti
Assuming it's a version 2 & not 3, remove the four coil packs off the plugs & remove the rubbers off the ends - look for cracking on the plastic ends.
UK cars and WRX (classics only) dont have versions, only classic STI's
You have to point out if its a phase 1 engine (92-96), phase 1.5 (97/98) or phase 2 (99/00) as these are the differences (especially with the coil packs)

Tony
Old 19 October 2009, 10:39 PM
andyjdmteg
Scooby Newbie

it's on a 96 N plate so phase 1. i also did'nt mention that when i got the car it had been neglected. The oil was black, the air element had disintegrated, the radiator and header tank had also started leaking. the car had only covered 3000 ish miles in this country over a period of 3 years.
also to cushti, nice one thats a big help iv'e now found them!

Last edited by andyjdmteg; 19 October 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 19 October 2009, 10:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do, dont use engine flush! just change the oil run it for a few hundred miles then change again if your not satisfied with the crap its getting out

Tony
Old 19 October 2009, 11:00 PM
andyjdmteg
Scooby Newbie

ok will(or wont) do i only used the slicol to clean the fuel system, i'll see if i can get something by reading the fault codes tomorrow.
Old 20 October 2009, 09:55 AM
andyjdmteg
Scooby Newbie

im getting code 24, idle control system malfunction.
i'm guessing this means a replacement idle valve or a clean?