Head Gasket? Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2009, 05:54 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket? Help needed

Hi all,

Well my brother drove my car for a few days and it decided to drop its water.The front underneathe pipe had cracked. He didn't notice and drove it for about 30 miles with no water. When i has the car bad i noticed instantly that it had overheated for 1 it stank of scorched oil. So changed the oil, replaced pipe found it overheating(decided warped heads) so took engine out did both the head gaskets they required a 0.3mm skim. Replaced Cambelt, w/pump,rad and top bottom hoses whilst i was at it. However the car is still overheating it has caused the plastic header tank to burst so just fitted a metal upgrade and its still overheating even without the thermostat in. I cant understand it because it runs fine sounds great and is boosting fine no missing or rough idling that it was doing before i replaced the head gaskets. However the header tank has a constant buble coming from it. And the car overheats in about 5 minutes but runs fine untill this.

Is it possible that the head/engine was overheated too much, too much of a skim?

Can air somehow get into the coolant at the turbo? And cause air to get into the system like this? Bearing in mind i had the turbo apart/off to inspect it when the engine was out.

Can anyone offer some words of inspiration/advice
Old 18 October 2009, 06:15 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Provided you have filled and bled the coolant system correctly - if you had to have the heads skimmed by 0.012" to correct any warp, were the deck(block) faces checked for distorsion/warp ??

Mick
Old 18 October 2009, 06:50 PM
slyv12
Scooby Regular

I've just done mine with the engine still in, did you fill it from the turbo pipe holding it up? hopefully sounds like an airlock mate.
Old 18 October 2009, 07:50 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Filled from header tank. Don't think its an airlock as the radiator gets fully hot and so does the heater matrix(heaters come on hot). But after 5 mins or so it does create enormous pressure, enough so that you cant really squeeze the top hose. Could this be an airlock. If it was running really badly then i wouldnt hesitate to whip the engine out and fit another but dont want to do this and be left where i am now.
Old 18 October 2009, 08:02 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

i cant squeeze my top hose when temp up to normal and there aint nothing wrong wi mine its just normal expantion preasure
Old 18 October 2009, 08:24 PM
956curtis
Scooby Regular

are your fans cutting in?does it over heat when driving or just sat ?
Old 18 October 2009, 08:51 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Fans cuts in. It will overheat when stationary and on a short run. It is using water though no leaks visible. It is not running rough like it was before, it was shaking the engine on its mountings prior to fitting the new head gaskets and generally sounding rough. Air is also bubling in the header tank from coldstart to when it gets hot. Is it possible at all that the turbo is using the water? Or is it definately the heads? Fair bit of steam from the rear to be fair too.

Thanks for the help so far

Last edited by projectsubaru; 18 October 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18 October 2009, 09:46 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

sounds like you got cracked heads or block if steam is coming from the back and no leaks. and is using water 30miles with out water is goner do damage im afraid but if you do get stuck pm me ive got sum mint heads
Old 18 October 2009, 10:02 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Im just wondering if it could be turbo related too ? If someone can confirm this isn't related to turbo then i will crack on and get the engine out again for further inspection. Never checked the actual block for trueness just was told to skim the head. The machinist did say 0.3mm was a fairly big warp and that it must of got very hot to warp that much. Malcs Scooby if i need new heads i will give you a shout.

Thanks
Old 18 October 2009, 11:05 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

defo ant turbo mate did you get the heads checked for cracks as i said earlier 30miles with out water is guner do damage and there only alloy heads dnt take much to warp them could even have internal crack which you wont even see,but if boiling up like that and steam = crack somewhere
Old 19 October 2009, 11:44 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Looks like im going to be busy this week then, lol

Cheers for the help
Old 19 October 2009, 03:01 PM
slyv12
Scooby Regular

take it to a local garage and ask them to do the sniffer test on the expansion tank, cost me £7.50 to confirm the worst.
Old 19 October 2009, 06:45 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

yea even that can fail to work i have all that equimemt at my place trouble is it ant the head gaskets as you just done them .its wen its slightly warm the cracks will open up your find.one way or another def sounds like crack mate pm me if you need to no more what year is it?as ive got loads bits left over from my rebuild
Old 24 October 2009, 09:20 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

car is a 1995 uk ,just sourcred a wrx engine which i will fit and hope for the best