Notices

Power FC - big difference between commanded & actual AFRs

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2009, 01:05 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power FC - big difference between commanded & actual AFRs

Ok - now I think I've got my wideband behaving again I can start to think about looking at these maps again after a delay of a few years!

After a short run the other night I found that the car drove ok until it was on boost where it began to stutter and hold back.
No wonder when I looked at the AFR gauge and saw figures in the 7s! Mega rich fuelling.

So as a temporary tweak to test for improvement I changed the injectors from 86% down to 80% and it gave a huge improvement to how the car pulled. Result, and the AFR at the same point jumped up to 9. Still far too rich for where it was but going in the right direction.

Now, just taking one example map point which was RPM site13 Load site7 the Inj map shows the stupid value of 1.207, which as I understand the Apexi maps equates to commanded AFR of 12.18 (14.7/1.206 = 12.18). Now according to the logged data at that point through FCedit the AFR at that map site and point in time was 9, and that's a LOT richer than the map is telling it to run.

I think fuel pressure is one suspect area relating to this, but what else should I be looking at in order to try and get the measured AFR in line with the commanded figure?

I've looked at a few recorded bits of AFR logged data and compared to the fuel map and generally speaking the actual AFR is way more rich (lower numbers) than the commanded figures.

Other potential factors I can think of might include:
  • Injector scaling (apparently should be 86% for 440s on a 380cc based ecu, and it is)
  • MAF scaling
  • Intake type
Not sure how to identify which of these would need to be amended by how much, or which should be left alone. How do I tell?

Sure this is basic stuff but it's a few years since I began mapping the car and my mind has totally been on other stuff since then so I'm a bit rusty!

Details of the engine are EJ20G (closed deck) with STi heads & pistons, FMIC, 440cc injectors (PFC has native 380cc size hence 86% scaling), FSE fuel reg, uprated fuel pump, Apexi pod filter ('super intake'), Apexi RHF5 turbo (hybrid VF22). Fuel pressure is a smidgen above 3bar at idle with no vacuum.

I know other variations of the PFC or FCedit etc have other areas for correction like Inj map + Base map but mine just has Inj map and I'm not sure what things I can change to get the figures closer since they're way off.
I know also I can adjust the map anyway and still get the AFR figures to work, but having them so far off what's on the map will make it a nightmare for comparing different maps etc and will just make it trickier to do as a novice.

Appreciate any useful advice. Cheers
Jim