Notices

Help! Misfire / cutting out :(

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2009, 08:35 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Misfire / cutting out :(

I've a UK97 Turbo, modded with PowerFC, TD05, SX FPR etc.

Just recently the car has started to misfire. Can be any gear, on or off boost and at any speed. I get black smoke / soot from exhaust, no power, and then power just comes back in and i shoot off forward, then usually splutter some more. At points while at idle its also died on me as well (not happened that often compared with the misfire).

Tried so far without any improvement:
Fuel pump - for a known good one
Replaced hose connecting maf to turbo (it had a tear in it), other hoses look fine
Maf i've clean with brake cleaning
Replaced airfilter
Tighted up hoses
SX FPR is spot on and not overfueling or otherwise doing something it shouldn't
Disconnected MAF and it cut out (altho not sure the PowerFC ecu would learn to cope if it was knackard anyway like the oem)
Recent plugs
Recent service

I'm really struggling with the car, it's a bloody nightmare tbh. I've got it booked in to a garage next week (soon i could) but it's so undriveable i don't think it'll cope getting to from school and work each day until then or me for that matter.

The odd day it can be fine, in fact for a 48hrs period it was spot on, booted hard and as soon as i backed off lost power straight away and spluttering all over again.

Any suggestions most welcome
Old 14 October 2009, 04:49 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

^^ up ^^
Old 14 October 2009, 10:45 PM
bigfootjim76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
I've a UK97 Turbo, modded with PowerFC, TD05, SX FPR etc.

Just recently the car has started to misfire. Can be any gear, on or off boost and at any speed. I get black smoke / soot from exhaust, no power, and then power just comes back in and i shoot off forward, then usually splutter some more. At points while at idle its also died on me as well (not happened that often compared with the misfire).

Tried so far without any improvement:
Fuel pump - for a known good one
Replaced hose connecting maf to turbo (it had a tear in it), other hoses look fine
Maf i've clean with brake cleaning
Replaced airfilter
Tighted up hoses
SX FPR is spot on and not overfueling or otherwise doing something it shouldn't
Disconnected MAF and it cut out (altho not sure the PowerFC ecu would learn to cope if it was knackard anyway like the oem)
Recent plugs
Recent service

I'm really struggling with the car, it's a bloody nightmare tbh. I've got it booked in to a garage next week (soon i could) but it's so undriveable i don't think it'll cope getting to from school and work each day until then or me for that matter.

The odd day it can be fine, in fact for a 48hrs period it was spot on, booted hard and as soon as i backed off lost power straight away and spluttering all over again.

Any suggestions most welcome
i had the same thing with my first classic it was a my97 wagon , was told to change the ht leads and never looked back, have you any body that could lend you a set? to try ?

hope this helps james
Old 14 October 2009, 11:06 PM
Green_Goblin
Scooby Regular

I had same issue,

Checked all and it all looked ok, finally one day when i was giving it big beans it stuttered then died completely, checked on my apexi commander...sensor check and noticed when starting the car the maf voltage never changed......got told to unplug the maf to see if it then ran....but it didnt!!! if you have an apexi power fc it will not run with the maf unplugged like a standard ecu!!!
Changed the maf sensor and it was back to working properly!!

So not saying it is your problem but could be the maf as my car had the same issues before it failed!! the only thing is if you check sensor check the voltage on the maf will be changing as its working intermittent!!

Hope this helps!!

Jase
Old 20 October 2009, 11:16 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Thank you both for the replies.

Tried some leads over the weekend and i've still got the problem sadly. Jase your suggestion sounds very much like it, i know mine dies without the Maf attached and i'm in the process of trying to find a replacement to try, got to be worth a shot.

Again thank you both for the suggestions
Old 20 October 2009, 07:59 PM
Green_Goblin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
Thank you both for the replies.

Tried some leads over the weekend and i've still got the problem sadly. Jase your suggestion sounds very much like it, i know mine dies without the Maf attached and i'm in the process of trying to find a replacement to try, got to be worth a shot.

Again thank you both for the suggestions
Yeh all scoobs with Apexi power FC die without the maf plugged in as it needs this to run, but your probs defo sound like what i was getting before my maf packed in!!! The are 90 squid from the subaru dealer if your looking for one!!
Hope you get it sorted, dont let it get you down