Notices

Remap after decat???

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2009, 02:22 PM
jaidenthomas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap after decat???

I know its advisable to remap after decatting the exhaust but is it essential? I have a MY00 Classic RA as standard apart from k&n panel filter. Iv bought a H&S decat system but not sure whether to fit it until I can afford a remap( Which could be some time as I'm moving house) I have heard some people say that if you use an octane boost with your v-power at fill up you can get away with it. If not should I just fit center and rear for the time being or would that still need a remap?
Old 08 October 2009, 02:31 PM
Ricerocket0_1
Scooby Regular

Re-map when you can afford, in the mean time don't go near the red!
Twice I've sold cars to mates with out re-map first and twice they blew the engines to smithereens holding them close to the red for to long.

These are my experiences with RA/STI engines.

I'm driving an STI at the moment, that has not been re-mapped, I don't go much over 5k RPM for obvious reasons.

Go ahead with exhaust but be carefull not to thrash!
Old 08 October 2009, 02:40 PM
jaidenthomas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ricerocket0_1
Re-map when you can afford, in the mean time don't go near the red!
Twice I've sold cars to mates with out re-map first and twice they blew the engines to smithereens holding them close to the red for to long.

These are my experiences with RA/STI engines.

I'm driving an STI at the moment, that has not been re-mapped, I don't go much over 5k RPM for obvious reasons.

Go ahead with exhaust but be carefull not to thrash!
Lol!! I know I'm gonna sound sad now but I never take it to the red anyway. I love my car too much to hurt it
Old 08 October 2009, 02:47 PM
Ricerocket0_1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaidenthomas
Lol!! I know I'm gonna sound sad now but I never take it to the red anyway. I love my car too much to hurt it

It's easy to get sucked in to a burn-up and before you know it your redlining.......Russian roulette time
Old 08 October 2009, 03:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaidenthomas
I know its advisable to remap after decatting he exhaust but is it essential?
It's advisable on an STi Type RA whether modified or not. Your car's mapped for Japanese flavour fuel - so, unless you're using V-Power plus booster all the time, it's probably nearer its comfort zone than it should be anyway.

None of us can tell you for sure whether you're "getting away with it" at the moment, let alone whether you still will be after changing the exhaust system.

If nothiing else you should be monitoring boost and knock. If you already are and are confident it's running safely, try changing the exhaust and see what happens. If the boost spikes, and you start to see knock, take it off...
Old 08 October 2009, 05:46 PM
jaidenthomas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
It's advisable on an STi Type RA whether modified or not. Your car's mapped for Japanese flavour fuel - so, unless you're using V-Power plus booster all the time, it's probably nearer its comfort zone than it should be anyway.

None of us can tell you for sure whether you're "getting away with it" at the moment, let alone whether you still will be after changing the exhaust system.

If nothiing else you should be monitoring boost and knock. If you already are and are confident it's running safely, try changing the exhaust and see what happens. If the boost spikes, and you start to see knock, take it off...
Forgive the ignorance but what is knock??
Old 08 October 2009, 05:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Ignorance is excusable. Failure to click Search, or have a read through the FAQ section slightly less so.
Old 24 December 2009, 06:53 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

I have a 99 uk wrx impreza with an air filter and the decat exhaust, will my car be ok without a remap? I always run 97 or 99 ron petrol
Old 24 December 2009, 06:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingbuttmunch
I have a 99 uk wrx impreza with an air filter and the decat exhaust, will my car be ok without a remap? I always run 97 or 99 ron petrol
For the sake of accuracy, there's no such thing as a "99 uk wrx impreza". Do you mean you have a '99 Impreza Turbo 2000?

If so, and provided your car's otherwise fit and healthy (and isn't a PPP) it will probably be fine, in engine safety terms at least.

However, this is just an educated guess. The only way to be certain whether your car is running properly and safely is to have it looked at and diagnosed.
Old 24 December 2009, 07:03 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

It is a uk T reg Impreza. Thats all I know
Old 24 December 2009, 07:19 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

In which case, if it's a UK car it's called an "Impreza Turbo 2000".

This is more important than you probably think, as a 99MY WRX would usually be a Japanese market car - and has a different spec. If you had one of those, the answer re "safety without a remap" might well have been different.
Old 24 December 2009, 07:32 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should say: impreza turbo 2000 awd on your log book(V5) ,and the same on your insurance details. T reg means its a 98/99 model year, which is the same year as mine.
Have got a full decat ,sti intercooler,walbro fuel pump,k&n panel filter,and had no running issues with my car(only dv's) in the last 6 months,and car is booked for remap after xmas.
Easiest thing is as said above fit the exhaust , and see how it drives

Sorry splitpin see you've already replied