Notices

Power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 04:16 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering?

Right, since last night I have had vibration via the steering wheel when on full lock & sitting on the spot...

Nothing strange whilst moving, only when pressure is on the pump sitting still does this happen currently, I checked the car this morning and you can smell the fluid but the levels are fine, it's either that or you can smell the pulley putting pressure on it's self and it just smells like something burning off...anyway!
The pulley jams (gets stuck whilst the belt moves round) every time the vibration happens so I would believe this is down to the pump?

How much are the pumps? and how easy are they to fit to a MY96 V3 STi?

Something I could do myself or something you'd say is best left to a garage? If it's just a nut & bolt job similar to removing the air-con then I should be fine, anything more and it may be a no go...

Suggestions and help is welcome, I have work tomorrow & Monday would you suggest leaving the car on the drive or see how it goes as I have AA breakdown repair cover which replaces any mechanical parts for £25 and they pay the rest!

I apologise if I have put this in the wrong section, I assume a mod will move it about a bit if required
Old 06 September 2009, 05:02 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Not 100% sure about some of what you have said, but by the sounds of it you have a faulty p/s pump.

Very common problem on the early impreza's i just bought myself a new pump the version 3 off a guy off here who took it off his 97 i think.

Easy to change, took me about an hour to do... can be a messy job though, there is a tutorial on it here somewhere if you have a search.

I was driving mine for a few weeks waiting for the new pump so you will probably be fine, yours doesn't sound to bad yet, mine was whining under steering and general driving and steering was very heavy. But still worked, just had to put up with the smell of burning fluid.

HTH
Old 06 September 2009, 05:49 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby87
Not 100% sure about some of what you have said, but by the sounds of it you have a faulty p/s pump.

Very common problem on the early impreza's i just bought myself a new pump the version 3 off a guy off here who took it off his 97 i think.

Easy to change, took me about an hour to do... can be a messy job though, there is a tutorial on it here somewhere if you have a search.

I was driving mine for a few weeks waiting for the new pump so you will probably be fine, yours doesn't sound to bad yet, mine was whining under steering and general driving and steering was very heavy. But still worked, just had to put up with the smell of burning fluid.

HTH
Thanks for that mate.

Not 100% sure myself, only noticed it while trying to pull off my drive and It was stupidly heavy to turn the steering wheel but it free's up within seconds.

Pulley jams every time I'm sitting still and fully lock the steering wheel over! No whine yet, just a tiny tiny 'humming' noise that is only just starting to occur.

I'll suppose the best bet is a second hand pump for £20 and just fit it and see how it goes!

Another suggestion I got was the servo? but wouldn't this also mean I'd have a problem with my brakes?

Thanks again

Jamie