MY99 Suspect low power

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2009, 09:05 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 Suspect low power

MY99 with PPP and a frontpipe decat

Car idles smooth and just had a new Lambda fitted to clear a fault code but the car does'nt feel much quicker than my mates standard MY99, I suspect maybe standard dump valve is leaking i wonder can i dismantle it and clean it

Any help or idea's anybody please
Old 05 September 2009, 09:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably detting its little heart out or your not running it on super unleaded, other things are that the boost solenoid can get clogged up which can cause lower power issues.

Tony
PS, about the det thing, seriously it will be detting its head off, PPP'd cars dont like to be decatted as the map is adjusted to run that kit, it will boost to 1.3bar and cause engine damage, suggest you put the front cat back on, its only about 10bhp difference with it off.
Old 05 September 2009, 10:06 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Its probably detting its little heart out or your not running it on super unleaded, other things are that the boost solenoid can get clogged up which can cause lower power issues.

Tony
PS, about the det thing, seriously it will be detting its head off, PPP'd cars dont like to be decatted as the map is adjusted to run that kit, it will boost to 1.3bar and cause engine damage, suggest you put the front cat back on, its only about 10bhp difference with it off.
Part of the PPP is a middle Decat thought they just kept the front cat to stay legal
Old 06 September 2009, 12:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by just123
Part of the PPP is a middle Decat thought they just kept the front cat to stay legal
You have no cats in your system right? I can tell you all the components of the PPP if you want? as my first scoob (MY00) had it fitted in 2001, if you remove the cat in the down pipe (and the centre cat is replaced by an STI resonator box btw ) then it will boost to 1.3 bar and det which isnt a good thing, so unless you have a KS3/4 or knocklink you wont no this (I had a knocklink and defi's fitted to mine).
Your other issue could be down to the boost solenoid being blocked (also had this problem, feels good to start with then drops right off the power ) but 35bhp isnt much when it comes to out and out performance, you really need 100+ to see any noticable difference

Tony
Old 06 September 2009, 10:53 AM
just123
Scooby Regular

You have no cats in your system right? I can tell you all the components of the PPP if you want? as my first scoob (MY00) had it fitted in 2001, if you remove the cat in the down pipe (and the centre cat is replaced by an STI resonator box btw ) then it will boost to 1.3 bar and det which isnt a good thing, so unless you have a KS3/4 or knocklink you wont no this (I had a knocklink and defi's fitted to mine).
Your other issue could be down to the boost solenoid being blocked (also had this problem, feels good to start with then drops right off the power ) but 35bhp isnt much when it comes to out and out performance, you really need 100+ to see any noticable difference

Tony
Thanks for your help Tony, Just wondering where to go from here Maybe a re-map sell the PPP ECU and buy a standard one for mapping (is the immobiliser in the ECU), or do i get a knocklink sensor to see if it is deting, I have cleaned the boost solonoid so no issue their the car was maintained by a Dealer before i had it 6k in invoices in last few years just basic servicing and discs and pads though, i dont wanna damage the car cos its previous owner really cared for it and its in immaculate condition and drives like new, i always run it on Shell Optimax

Since fitting the downpipe i can really notice a loud whistle at low revs could this be an air leak from the dump valve

Just about every PPP impreza for sale on pistonheads has a full decat??
Old 08 September 2009, 03:23 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Tony
Update, Just spoke to Andy F and he said as long as its not overboosting then nothing to worry about
Old 08 September 2009, 03:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Mine wasnt overboosting in the warmer weather but it was detting, it will overboost in the cooler weather so be warned that it could be detting and you dont know about it
Remap is your best option, ks3 sensor is a 200ish pound option thats worth investing in

Tony