Notices

Potential hidden rear end damage..?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2009, 10:04 PM
Ripe Banana Man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Potential hidden rear end damage..?

Been rear ended by some tw't with a bull bar on the front of their 4x4 FFS..!

Badly spilt/cracked bumper, buckled boot lid, panel pushed in behind os light, which is also fooked..! Wing looks ok, with no obvious kinks, so so at least some good news..

It's going to a body shop in the morning that does a lot of scoobs, but is there anything, not too obvious, underneath that may need special attention..?

It should be a straight forward claim on the third parties insurance as I have a witness , so there should be no bother.

I just want to make sure the job is done properly and everything addressed as I want my baby back the way it was..

Last edited by Ripe Banana Man; 01 September 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01 September 2009, 10:12 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Could the boot floor be buckled, if so I think that is a bad sign. But I could be wrong.
Old 01 September 2009, 10:16 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Not too sure mate, but would definitely check the floor pan / spare tyre area, and also make sure the fuel tank & filler are okay too just in case. I'm sure that the body shop will sort it out for you if they are familiar with scoobs tho - hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon
Old 01 September 2009, 10:23 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

Panels are easily replaced, even boot floors. As long as the chasis legs are still straight then its not that bad. If the insurance estimator thinks its bad enough they will have the chassis measured on a jig before making estimates.

They do there estimates based on using OEM panels, you can request to use non oem to keep costs down. Sometimes it can make a difference between a fixer or scrapper.
Old 02 September 2009, 12:06 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petedotuk
Panels are easily replaced, even boot floors. As long as the chasis legs are still straight then its not that bad. If the insurance estimator thinks its bad enough they will have the chassis measured on a jig before making estimates.

They do there estimates based on using OEM panels, you can request to use non oem to keep costs down. Sometimes it can make a difference between a fixer or scrapper.
good advice

jim
Old 02 September 2009, 12:15 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyschef
good advice

jim
I Was a mechanic in Northern Irelands largest accident repair centre for 5 years. I learnt a few things
Old 03 September 2009, 08:28 PM
Ripe Banana Man
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Just had the estimated cost for my car ALONE....... nearly £5k ffs

Parts alone £2800..!

That can't be right, surely..? The car's mechanically fine, it's just cosmetic..

What's the likelyhood of them calling it a total loss, as average auto trader prices are only around £8k..
Old 03 September 2009, 10:42 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

What's the likelyhood of them calling it a total loss, as average auto trader prices are only around £8k..
As long as undamaged resale price is higher than repair cost, it shouldn't be a total loss.

Even without a witness, if you were rear-ended there's virtually no chance the other guy's insurance will bother contesting the claim, as they're near enough unwinnable cases for the driver coming from behind. Small consolation I know, but it's one type of accident which shouldn't cost you a penny.
Old 03 September 2009, 10:54 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

i work in bodyshop and if its that cost to put right then another bodyshop not as big as one yours is at could most likely cut the price in half,some large bodyshops have big overheads and this is reflected in price.i have worked in large and small and find the smaller independent one offers a better job and fairer cost.
i think you have nothing to worry about tho as you were hit up the harris you can demand they repair as it was not your fault. hth