Notices

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2009, 01:31 PM
feckers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

The CEL came on in my 2005 WRX Impreza some time ago so I had it plugged in to read the code and it came back telling me it was the sensor in my exhaust. It doesn't affect the running or performance of the car, so I had the light reset and it went off but came back on shortly after again.

I wanted to know if there is anyway to keep the light off and stop it from coming back on as it is quite annoying having it on the dash all the time. As it's not affecting the car i'm not bothered about changing the sensor in the exhaust.

So is there a way to keep the light off without changing the part?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02 September 2009, 02:17 PM
danwrx02
Scooby Regular

I had the same but it was my cam position sensor which i did have replaced. I know it can be costly but that engine warning light is there for a reason, so would definatly get things checked and replaced rather than ignore it. A major problem could arise and then cost a small fortune!
If i'm not mistaken once it is illuminated does this not put the ecu into a limp home mode untill reset?
Old 02 September 2009, 02:46 PM
feckers
Scooby Regular

No the car drives 100% spot on with no difference at all in power or how it drives. So there is no way to keep the light off other than to replace the faulty part?
Old 02 September 2009, 03:44 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to give an indication of the code number........My guess would be P0420

Shaun
Old 03 September 2009, 06:32 PM
feckers
Scooby Regular

Yep. That's the code it was throwing up. I've replaced the 02 sensor today just to get rid of the light so should be fine now.
Old 03 September 2009, 08:33 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

P0420 tells you that your catalyst is not working correctly (or has been removed). It is not detrimental in any way to the running of the engine and it will carry on performing as usual "there are certain faults that will put the car into limp home mode, but this is not one of them"...The ECU is just logging the fact that you are no longer driving a car that is as "Green" as it should be!

Or of course, you could just have a faulty "post cat" sensor.

All the time that you have the factory map inside your ECU then it is not possible to "switch off" the warning for any codes.... If you however wen't down the route of having for example an ecutec remap, your mapper can then switch on/off warnings as you require.

If you happen to de-cat a new age car and are not going down the remap route then there is an option of adding a small box of tricks to the sensor wiring which will interfere with the signal to make the ecu believe that the cats are still in place.

I hope the new sensor has sorted the problem.

Last edited by PeeVee; 03 September 2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03 September 2009, 11:03 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to come back on this one

Have you had the car long?? Did the person who had the car before you remove the cats as the ECU thinks that the Cats are not working !!

I agree with all what Barretts have said ........and I hope the new sensor has cured the problem If it's due to the removal of the cats then it won't

I would just add that re-mapping the ECU to remove the CELis a much better option than fitting the small box of tricks to fool the ECU..... which isn't 100%

Shaun