Tappets & Cambelts/chains

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2009, 08:12 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tappets & Cambelts/chains

A couple of daft questions:

1. A quick search on here suggests that the tappets on my MY00 UK Turbo are not hydraulic but adjusted by shims. There is, however, nothing on the service schedule that suggests inspection or adjustment of clearances. The engine is still quiet at 62k miles. Should I be worried?

3. Our Tribeca has no cambelt replacement interval. Does it have a chain? And are the tappets hydraulic on the six-pot motor?

Thanks for any help,
Simon
Old 29 August 2009, 09:30 AM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Morning Simon,

Should you be worried??.... Definately not!!

Your Impreza does indeed have Metal shims fitted (Subaru came away from hydrolic tappets towards the end of 1996) & they are designed to be there for the life of the engine without the need to have them replaced as a service item... Just as well really, as that would more than double the cost of the mayjor servicing.

With regards to your Tribeca, it has no requirement to have either the drive or adjustment side of the engine looked at during normal service as it has both, chain driven camshafts & the relativley new system of shimless valve lifters / buckets.... The valve lifter / bucket now has the "shim" built into it, so that adjustment (when building the engine) is atcheived by fitting differen't thickness lifters.

Hope this puts your mind to rest
Phil
Old 29 August 2009, 09:49 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

That is very helpful thank you.
You've certainly put my mind at rest about the Impreza, however I am a little worried about the Tribeca.
The 3.0l engine sounds rather tappety on start-up on cold mornings. I mentioned this to our dealer recently but they said everything sounded "within tolerences". They did, unfortunately, have it on a warm morning though. The tappety sound goes away after a couple of minutes if I leave it to idle but my confidence in the dealer is somewhat dented because they said it had hydraulic tappets!
Old 29 August 2009, 10:47 AM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Obviously it's very difficult to advise you without hearing your engine in the flesh, perhaps there is another dealer close to where you live or work that could give a second opinion.

With regard to the lifters, the Subaru parts system definatley lists solid lifters for both the 3.0 & 3.6 engines.

Perhaps the staff at your dealership need to go on a Subaru product familiarisation course or two. lol