Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HHHHEEEELLLPP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2002, 10:30 PM
gangstor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i have taken my 98 sti engine to pieces and still not found why i hear a tapping sound when the car is running.The tapping sound is on the right hand side and the tappets are fine, however a mechanic looked at the tappets while they were in the engine and one by one pushed them in with a metal rod . He then said one tappet was easier to push than the others so its the spring on this tappet but im not so sure?
I have also checked the distance on the tappets and two of them are 1 thou out but this same mechanic seems to think this would not cause the noise ?
Also i am putting the engine back together again and i need to know how to adjust the timeing on the belts as i can see a arrow on the wheel but not sure if it means anything?
also does anyone know which way i would open the crank shaft pulley, clockwise or anti? thank you
Old 25 July 2002, 12:52 PM
BDF
Scooby Regular

Could be your boost control solenoid chattering. It is mounted on the r.h inner wing
Old 25 July 2002, 03:45 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Let the Engine tick over and put your ear near to the driver side strut and give the car a few hundred revs, you’ll soon notice if it is the solenoid.
Old 25 July 2002, 03:52 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

gangstor, its not piston slap is it??

the crank pulley bolt, just usual way to undo, anti-clockwise, just put a bar and socket onto the nut (22mm) and smack hell out of the bar with a lump hammer, it'll come undone.

Old 26 July 2002, 12:59 AM
gangstor
Scooby Regular

thanks for your suggestions people, however here is a update!!i have put theengine back together however the car will not start!!
The car has spark and there is fuel comeing through but the thing will not start...any ideas????thanks