Notices

Will decreasing boost effect turbo chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2009, 07:03 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will decreasing boost effect turbo chatter?

Having the car sorted after changing the turbo and found it was over-boosting...

Going to have it @ 1.2bar for safety - but since changing the turbo I got HUGE chatter and I love it

Will lowering the boost lower the chatter noise? Please say NO!
Old 17 August 2009, 07:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If your turbo is chattering in the "proper" way, less boost will reduce the amount you get. Less air being drawn through the turbo will mean less for the blades to chop up when the throttle shuts.

On the plus side, less boost will also mean less stress on the turbo's compressor wheel and bearings, and reduced magnitude pressure waves to buffet your MAF sensor (assuming your car has one).
Old 17 August 2009, 07:26 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

what turbo did you go for?? do you have a fmic or a tmic and do you have an induction kit?? cheers tryig to get this already does it alittle with no wing resonator, and no recic/d.v

Last edited by m@t STImulation; 17 August 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 17 August 2009, 07:55 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Im on the standard TD05 16g with resonator delete and apexi induction & FMIC... and DV
Old 17 August 2009, 07:57 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If your turbo is chattering in the "proper" way, less boost will reduce the amount you get. Less air being drawn through the turbo will mean less for the blades to chop up when the throttle shuts.

On the plus side, less boost will also mean less stress on the turbo's compressor wheel and bearings, and reduced magnitude pressure waves to buffet your MAF sensor (assuming your car has one).
It did chatter like a goodun I am on a MAF so thats always good I guess.

I just hope I still get some if not as loud as it was
Old 17 August 2009, 08:06 PM
harrisard
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply! will a classic uppipe fit newage tho?
Old 17 August 2009, 08:10 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

im not sure i want an induction kit the oem box is good do you think a pannel filter will make any difrence

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2009, 08:53 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m@t STImulation
im not sure i want an induction kit the oem box is good do you think a pannel filter will make any difrence
Not sure you will get chatter on a panel filter as Ive read on here you will only get it from a cone filter. However it is said that panel filter with the OE airbox is better than aftermarket as it will prolong the life of the MAF
Old 17 August 2009, 09:10 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

i already get chatter at low boost, i dont know about high as its on a running in map atm. its not loud tho. shame its not a the genuine rally car
Old 17 August 2009, 09:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tucker82
Not sure you will get chatter on a panel filter as Ive read on here you will only get it from a cone filter.
Lots of what you read on here is bullsh*t, and that's a good example. The noise happens in the turbo, so if it's happening it'll happen whether you have a cone or the standard induction tract.

Running an induction kit makes chatter, if it's happening, louder. The mouth of the IK tends to act like a megaphone and amplifies it. The standard tract (especially if the resonator is still on), is deliberately designed to reduce induction noise - and so it attenuates turbo chatter too.

Similarly fitting an FMIC won't, in itself, cause the noise (unless it is designed without a dumpvalve of course), but can make it louder due to the way the long metal pipe runs give space for the pressure waves to build up.

Mat: An aftermarket panel filter might give you a bit more volume, but if you've already removed the resonator, the difference is likely to be subtle rather than startling.
Old 17 August 2009, 10:09 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

the resonator in the wing is gone. still got the one with the conection to the idle valve. people try to help, but fortunatly most are miss informed i get told all the time that my td05 cant handle the stalling=chatter. i have given the turbo no option but to stall thus chatter.
what do you think about removing the resonator with the idle control valve conection may fabricate my own. any diffrence and mabe silicone hose to turbo. my m8 had a silvia and alloy pipes and induction kit sorted that.