Notices

Boost Increase

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2002, 12:01 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a dawes device, or something similar, to me.
try it. money well spent
Old 09 March 2002, 02:28 AM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Thats just it.. I dont know what "IT" is as this is all I have to go on.

I found it on some site where the owner was discribing what mod's he'd made to his motor.
Old 09 March 2002, 07:52 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to be very careful when adjusting the boost level, the fuel level will also need to be increased or pinking will occur. You also increase the chance of detonation, which is bad.

Also where is your boost gauge connected? if it is just after the turbo fair enough but if it is closer to the engine intake then that is where it is measuring the boost meaning the turbo is acually producing higher boost than you think leading to shortened turbo life (80 000 mile down to sometimes 20 000) and an increased risk of blowing a head gaasket or melting a piston. DOH!

Speak to the guys at Scoobysport for expert advice.

Neil.
Old 09 March 2002, 10:19 AM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Neil,

I have'nt done any of this yet, its just something I found on a site. Some guy was descibing what mods he's done to his car.

I thought it sounded risky myself, or for the sake of a £20 valve, everyone would be doing it.

DannyBoy.
Old 09 March 2002, 10:26 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Judge for yourself
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=75220&Page=2
Old 09 March 2002, 12:22 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

It is very cheap and lots of people do it. Yes, it can be very dangerous. You must carefully monitor the necessary perameters to keep your engine "safe". If you don't know what these perameters are then my advice would be don't do it until you've learned a bit more about it. This would involve the purchase or fabrication of an AFR meter and boost gauge as a minimum. Next up would be EGT gauge. Suddenly a £20 piece of kit turns into something not so cheap! What do you do when you find you're running too lean or your egt is too high? Turn down the boost, then this huge gains you experience start to diminish significantly. A dawes with AFR meter is pretty good however as you can increase the boost slightly for reasonable gains, as you can with a normal bleed valve but you will get better response due to the elimination of wastegate creep, whatever boost you run. Check out all the dawes devices threads, cost you about £200 all in depending what boost gauge you go for. I wouldn't advise anyone to just buy a bleed valve and start playing. Some cars have been known to run a touch lean on standard boost, do you know if yours does?
Old 09 March 2002, 12:59 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL evrybody IS dooing it

Where have you been, this should be renamed the DAWES forum LOL

Trending Topics

Old 09 March 2002, 02:26 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Pob.

I would've searched for a similar post before posting my question but the search page was down. Plus I had no idea it was called a dawes Device till now.
Old 03 August 2002, 10:05 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

I found this paragraph somewhere on the net can anyone tell me is this £20 modification is for real, if works and if it does any damage?

Boost Increase

Having learnt and understood how the boost control mechanism works I decided to increase the boost as far as I could before hitting the automatic safety-cut out limit of the ECU. This was done using a simple £20 bleed valve..air is leaked away from the wastegate actuator and returned to the inlet in a similar fashion to the current mechanism. Peak boost was increased from 14psi to 17psi, and held boost was increased from 12/13 to approx 16.

Regards.

DannyBoy

[Edited by DannyBoyTurbo - 3/8/2002 10:06:57 PM]