What to look for on a ~MY01 Bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2009, 09:28 AM
Scottland
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to look for on a ~MY01 Bugeye

Hi,

I'm looking at UK WRX bugeyes at the moment c. 2001-2002. Other than the normal things what would apply for any car, is there any particular area that I should check out?

Any common issues or known weeknesses to keep an eye out for etc?

Cheers

Last edited by Scottland; 31 July 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:21 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Other than the obvious blue smoke on start, I'd also check for the following:
- Hesitation on acceleration - can be down to coilpacks failing, badly gapped or worn plugs, dodgy MAF. Normally on a car that age it should just be the plugs - happened to mine.
Take the car for a test drive. Let it warm up first for 5-10 minutes of normal (read not spirited) driving to get the oil up to temperature. Then give it a blast up a road somewhere.
BUT - note that WRX brakes are not exactly great, so don't go too mad if the owner hasn't fitted Brembos or K-Sports or equivalent upgrades, test them and see.
Acceleration should be rapid from around 3000 RPM+ when the turbo comes in and the car should pull nicely above that. You'll probably notice the clutch is quite heavy but gear change should be solid.

- FSH is a must so you can see the car's been looked after. IIRC the service interval is normally around every 8-10,000 miles. If it's done near 50-60,000 miles ensure the cambelt was done.

- You can either go for a standard car or a modified one. Most will be at least lightly modified. A car with a cat-back or full stainless exhaust (with either a decat or sports cat), panel filter and remap should be making something around the 270-280bhp mark, and will save you some money when you start modding.

- If it's been remapped, I'd ask for dynos etc to prove the work was done and also who did it. I'd be inclined to say proof of this is important - you see a lot of people on here saying they bought a car they'd told had been mapped only to see it go pop a few months later.

- If the car is fitted with rear solid aluminium droplinks and a Perrin / Whiteline rear anti roll bar that's a good thing - best handling mod for least money IMHO.

- Uprated Brembo, K-Sport or AP Racing brakes are a great upgrade - if the car has em fitted it'll save you anything up to £1000 uprating the standard WRX rubbish.

- The PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) doesn't offer maximum performance benefits but is probably a good start, so if you find a model with PPP it's worth a look - I think they have certificates so the owner should also have that. Such models should have a Prodrive intercooler Y and front hose (blue) under the bonnet, a decat section and a Prodrive backbox.

- If you can, get a model with Morettes or the STI headlights fitted as they look far far better than the WRX originals and they're not cheap either.

- Check the boot for leaks. It's a known issue, especially if the seller has fitted an aftermarket STI spoiler, that the boot can leak - check for puddles in the compartment where the jack and tools go (passenger side), and in the spare wheel well. It's actually a very easy problem to fix (with some bathroom sealant) but might buy you some negotiating room.

- Be aware that Scoobies are not cheap to run. With a remap I see about 22mpg; about 240 miles if I'm careful on a full tank and it has to be Super not normal '95 RON fuel. A 400 mile journey to Manchester and back will normally cost me £100.
Decent tyres start around £80 each, and brake pads are £100 for a set. Just so you're aware of what you're entering into!
Insurance isn't too bad, Keith Michaels and A-Plan are good places to look if you're insuring a modified Subaru.
All that said, they're great cars and have a big following; big community the Scooby lot.

There are plenty out there, so take your time and pick a good one.
Welcome to the last car you'll ever want (although your wallet won't think so ) lol.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 31 July 2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:53 AM
Scottland
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I'm wanting to find one as close to standard as possible. The cam interval is about 50k, how many years is that? i.e. 3 years or 50k etc...
Old 31 July 2009, 11:37 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

All depends on the car I guess, but if you're looking at a 2001-2 model it should've been done by now. Mine was done at 46k.

Mine was totally standard when I bought it. The only problem is I've now spent a fair bit on STI cosmetics to make it look better as those WRX headlights really are FUGLY!
Brand new you're looking at about £4-500 for the STI headlamps and then other bits. The headlamps do come up second hand now and again but they tend to go for a lot as they're considered a rarity I think.

tbh if you can afford it I would advise you to go for an STI. It was out of my budget 4 years ago when I bought the car but with the market as it is ATM there are bargains to be had it would appear. Prodrive style are great looking cars.

The problem is - you buy the WRX, get used to it and then want more lol.

One thing I didn't mention.
The bugs models have a few variants.

1. Roof mounted aerial - mine has the aerial mounted on the roof above the driver's door - looks crap! Some did come with the aerial in the rear screen and look cosmetically better for it. Minor point but worth knowing.

2. Seats - mine came with crappy airbag seats which offered virtually no side bolster support at all, so hence when cornering hard you'd crash into the door. Very annoying.
I swapped them for some out of an 2000 bug model, which were bucket seats and much more supportive. If you can find a model with those I'd suggest them over the others - much better. You can swap them like I did but you need to do a "resistor fix" to stop the airbag warning light coming on.
Old 31 July 2009, 12:34 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The earlier phase I cars came with the a-pillar aerial, the later phase II cars have the aerial in the rear screen demister.

Shaun
Old 01 August 2009, 07:28 AM
gsxrian
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Other than the obvious blue smoke on start, I'd also check for the following:
- Hesitation on acceleration - can be down to coilpacks failing, badly gapped or worn plugs, dodgy MAF. Normally on a car that age it should just be the plugs - happened to mine.
Take the car for a test drive. Let it warm up first for 5-10 minutes of normal (read not spirited) driving to get the oil up to temperature. Then give it a blast up a road somewhere.
BUT - note that WRX brakes are not exactly great, so don't go too mad if the owner hasn't fitted Brembos or K-Sports or equivalent upgrades, test them and see.
Acceleration should be rapid from around 3000 RPM+ when the turbo comes in and the car should pull nicely above that. You'll probably notice the clutch is quite heavy but gear change should be solid.

- FSH is a must so you can see the car's been looked after. IIRC the service interval is normally around every 8-10,000 miles. If it's done near 50-60,000 miles ensure the cambelt was done.

- You can either go for a standard car or a modified one. Most will be at least lightly modified. A car with a cat-back or full stainless exhaust (with either a decat or sports cat), panel filter and remap should be making something around the 270-280bhp mark, and will save you some money when you start modding.

- If it's been remapped, I'd ask for dynos etc to prove the work was done and also who did it. I'd be inclined to say proof of this is important - you see a lot of people on here saying they bought a car they'd told had been mapped only to see it go pop a few months later.

- If the car is fitted with rear solid aluminium droplinks and a Perrin / Whiteline rear anti roll bar that's a good thing - best handling mod for least money IMHO.

- Uprated Brembo, K-Sport or AP Racing brakes are a great upgrade - if the car has em fitted it'll save you anything up to £1000 uprating the standard WRX rubbish.

- The PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) doesn't offer maximum performance benefits but is probably a good start, so if you find a model with PPP it's worth a look - I think they have certificates so the owner should also have that. Such models should have a Prodrive intercooler Y and front hose (blue) under the bonnet, a decat section and a Prodrive backbox.

- If you can, get a model with Morettes or the STI headlights fitted as they look far far better than the WRX originals and they're not cheap either.

- Check the boot for leaks. It's a known issue, especially if the seller has fitted an aftermarket STI spoiler, that the boot can leak - check for puddles in the compartment where the jack and tools go (passenger side), and in the spare wheel well. It's actually a very easy problem to fix (with some bathroom sealant) but might buy you some negotiating room.

- Be aware that Scoobies are not cheap to run. With a remap I see about 22mpg; about 240 miles if I'm careful on a full tank and it has to be Super not normal '95 RON fuel. A 400 mile journey to Manchester and back will normally cost me £100.
Decent tyres start around £80 each, and brake pads are £100 for a set. Just so you're aware of what you're entering into!
Insurance isn't too bad, Keith Michaels and A-Plan are good places to look if you're insuring a modified Subaru.
All that said, they're great cars and have a big following; big community the Scooby lot.

There are plenty out there, so take your time and pick a good one.
Welcome to the last car you'll ever want (although your wallet won't think so ) lol.
Great post....

I'm going to start looking for one in august 04-05 WRX.can a uk standard car run on 95 RON or does that have to be super 97 RON..
Old 03 August 2009, 02:36 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Midlife......
The earlier phase I cars came with the a-pillar aerial, the later phase II cars have the aerial in the rear screen demister.

Shaun
Not actually 100% accurate mate.
I have an 01 car, mate has an 00 car - mine has the aerial in the a-pillar, his in the rear screen.
Looks like it was just luck of the draw depending on the mood they were in in the factory

I ran a thread about this last year and there was no discernible pattern of year - you just either got one or you didn't!
You posted on it actually - it's weird - some 02 models had it too.
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ur-bugeye.html

Last edited by MrNoisy; 03 August 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03 August 2009, 02:41 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by gsxrian
Great post....

I'm going to start looking for one in august 04-05 WRX.can a uk standard car run on 95 RON or does that have to be super 97 RON..
With a remap I see about 22mpg; about 240 miles if I'm careful on a full tank and it has to be Super not normal '95 RON fuel. A 400 mile journey to Manchester and back will normally cost me £100.
Real petrolheads will say to run Optimax only, but I've run mine on Tesco 99 with no issues other than slightly lower mpg (apparently because it's part bio fuel it's less efficient).

Last edited by MrNoisy; 03 August 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03 August 2009, 03:04 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Real petrolheads will say to run Optimax...
...And even realer ones will run V-Power.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 August 2009 at 04:46 PM.