Notices

RATTLING HEAT SHIELDS

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2009, 02:09 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RATTLING HEAT SHIELDS

Just after some advice, i have had a new exhaust fitted to my 96 wrx.
the fitter noticed the heat shields (the ones underneath the engine, next to the oil filter) are split, he has welded the splits buit now on decelleration i get a nasty vibrating noise from the heat shields, we put it up on a ramp and i got my mechanic to press on the heat shields, this stopped the rattling so i assumed they were loose, but all bolts are as tight as they will go. so can i just remove the heat shields or can i not because of how close they are to the oil filter.

any advice appreciated cos the noise is beginning to drive me insane , it only happens when the revs are dropping from 4k to 3k, it is always at this rev range. doesnt do it on acceleration?

also i'm sure my mechanic said there is a sensor in one of the heat shields? is this right, if so where does it go once heat shields removed?

sorry for all the questions just need to get it sorted. over to you people in the know
Old 16 July 2009, 02:30 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

The sensor he's on about will be the Lambda sensor that goes through the heat shield into the exhaust manifold.

If you just reomove the heatshields everything around the exhaust will end up getting alot hotter which isnt good. If all the bolts are tight then theres not alot you can do... maybe crimp the heatshilds so their tighter?

I had a rattle for years and tried all sorts... now I have taken the engine out all the heat shieilds have been removed and the exhaust manifold has been heat wrapped instead.

Gaz
Old 16 July 2009, 02:39 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Default thanks

thanks for the reply
so you wouldn't recommend removing the heat shields then? could the manifold be heat wrapped without removing the engine? would it not get wet and smoke when hot?

also the sensor goes into the manifold through the heat shield, so could be reconnected without the heat shields in place. if it is possible to heat wrap without removing the engine then going to do that as this noise is
beyond annoying.

when i first heard it i sh*t myself, last noise i had was the bottom end, suppose should just be thankful it aint that
Old 16 July 2009, 02:58 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

simple remove heat sheilds and buy some heat wrap heat wrap your down pipe and your away no problems plus less weight being carried with out the sheilds on, i have full decat turbo back and headers with all heat sheilds removed and heat wrap in place no problems at all and it is easy to remove exhaust manifold to heat wrap it

Last edited by uk300scoob; 16 July 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:05 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt know if you can fit the heatwrap easily with the manifold in place... but you can remove the manifold without taking the engine out yes. (my engine was taken out to change the clutch and rocker cover gaskets)

If you get rid of all the heat shields and heat wrap in their place then you should solve the problem... its not easy and wont be very cheap, heat wrap is expensive and if you remove the manifold etc then you may need new gaskets too.

Hope you get it sorted because I know first hand how annoying it can be!

Gaz
Old 16 July 2009, 03:11 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

are you talking about the exhaust manifold or inlet manifold here? and heat wrap isnt that expensive, and removing exhaust manifold wont wreck the gaskets they can be used again i know from experience and even if they are wrecked genuine exhaust gaskets rnt expensive either

Last edited by uk300scoob; 16 July 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:13 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I've ran at 450bhp without heatshields and had no issues.

Remove them and you'll be fine. As above a bit of heatwrap will keep engine bay temps and offers some protection. be aware though it will crack and flake off over time.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:18 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Default glad to hear this

Thanks for all the advice, thats just what i wanted to hear, will be going to see my mate (he has got a ramp at his garage) with some stella (always handy as a bribe!) i am sure he will help me to do the heat wrapping.

one last question, where should i go to get heat wrap, are there brands or makes to avoid, what is the best?

what are you guys using. where did u get it.

uk300scoob - im not technical, when on the ramp the heat shields are under the engine at the front, very close and either side of the oil filter (the drivers side one is very close to the oil fiilter, thats why didnt want to remove them) if that helps? if not i will ask my mechanic mate or try and get some pics for ya.

thanks again
Old 16 July 2009, 03:30 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

+1 for ripping the heat shields off & youll be fine, heatwrap if you want but really not needed especially in this country with low ambient temperatures.

SS
Old 16 July 2009, 03:35 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Default CHEERS

Thanks for that, has re-assured me, so i will be ok to remove heat shields for now and maybe looking into heat wrap when i get paid (not enough )

so any suggestions as to which heat wrap is best and where to get it from?

also when i had my recon engine fitted, it had no place for the oil cooler. so at present it doesnt have one, should i get an aftermarket one or does it not really matter, car is standard except exhaust.

thanks again
Old 16 July 2009, 03:56 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Here you go mate.

Lateral Performance Ltd| Home | Exhaust | Exhaust Wrap - 50' x 2'' Roll
Old 16 July 2009, 04:13 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

rogerclark heatwrap is good aswell and plenty heat wrap on ebay also most them all are the same and get yourself some metal cable ties to keep the wrap secure and the wrap will last you for ages until needing done again
Old 16 July 2009, 04:15 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

it shoudl all bolt off easy with no hassle, or if all else fails take grinder to the sheilds and cut them all off and then begind heat wrapping but looking at it on ramp and all tolls there for ya shouldnt be hard really isnt rocket science. good luck
Old 16 July 2009, 04:16 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Default thanks

Originally Posted by dazdavies

thanks for that mate, will check it out when get home, for some reason can't view that webpage at work .

if i were to wrap the manifold and downpipe how much would u reckon i need?

ukscoob300, will check rcm and ebay when get home, thanks for that,

gonna get it on ramp tomorrow afternoon and get them rattly heat shields off.

any suggestion as to the lack of oil cooler, my old engine had one but nowhere to put it onto the recon engine (aqssuming its an oplder version or something?) does it need one, i am aware that the oil cooler also helps to heat the oil to correct temp, will the lack of cooler cause me any issues?

thanks again and sorry for all the questions, we all have to start somewhere.

Last edited by britishbulldog; 16 July 2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: posted at same time as above posts
Old 16 July 2009, 06:41 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
are you talking about the exhaust manifold or inlet manifold here? and heat wrap isnt that expensive, and removing exhaust manifold wont wreck the gaskets they can be used again i know from experience and even if they are wrecked genuine exhaust gaskets rnt expensive either
I was talking about the exhaust manifold of course lol... I re-used my gaskets too but just wanted to make sure that he was accounting for new gaskets if his dont make it off in one peice. I looked into getting new gaskets and they could tally up to £30-50 which to me is expensive if your just trying to get rid of a small rattle and heat wrap at £40-60 a roll is expensive to me too... maybe im just careful with my money either way I already done mine

Gaz