Notices

bug-eye hiccup

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2009, 07:48 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bug-eye hiccup

hi,new to the forum and in need of advice already.i have a 01 bug-eye on standard engine internals,cat-back stst exhaust and induction kit.recently i noticed the engine hiccup on slight acceleration and i initially put it down to very low fuel as i was on the way to the petrol station.however it re-occured this morning when going to town.i can only describe it as if someone cut the spark for a split second.it has no pattern and doesnt happen all the time.i thought i could hear a slight pop on over-run from turbo area when car stationary and while i was blipping throttle.could this be a blowing gasket and would it cause the hiccup?the car has done 75000 and i treat it with respect from cold and before turning of.any help appreciated.
Old 12 July 2009, 08:37 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you get hesitation on acceleration too?
When was the last time the plugs were changed? I had a problem with my bug where I'd go to overtake and the engine would almost flat spot for a few seconds and then pick up again.
Fuel consumption also dropped a little. Changed the MAF for another, still had the problem - it was actually a knackered plug which hadn't been changed at the last service - fitted 4 new ones and right as rain.
Old 12 July 2009, 08:49 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

could it be the induction kit? ive heard a lot of people having problems with them unless you have a fmic or really good cold air feeds
Old 12 July 2009, 09:11 PM
jvivok1985
Scooby Regular

unless u have it remapped to suit exhaust and the fact uve put an induction kit on, which is mental if all else u have is exhaust, then ur gonna end up wrecking ur engine as they have to be tuned and scaled to an aftermarker induction kit, just changing the panel filter woulda been fine
Old 12 July 2009, 09:47 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

it sometimes stutters a small amount when accelerating through the rev range at about 4500/5000.only just noticable.i always use shell optimax.the plugs look clean and normal but i cant say when they were done as iv only had this bug-eye since feb.the induction filter and alloy pipe was already on the car.mind you i tried to fit my k&n from my legacy turbo(brand new) but it would bog down as you pulled away so i fitted the other one again.there are no markings but it is a cone shape with a inverted centre!would a re-map be advisable?thanks for your quick responses.
Old 12 July 2009, 09:51 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

i'd try getting a standard air box back on first, shouldnt be too dear on the for sale part here or on ebay, i have been reliably informed that the standard air box with a decent filter is good for 300+ bhp. may not cure problem but i think your better off with it than an induction kit anyway. hope this helps
Old 12 July 2009, 09:53 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

just a quick note, remaps are not cheap so check all possible problems first mate
Old 12 July 2009, 09:58 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

nice one,i actually persuaded the previous owner to give me original airbox when i bought the car.i reckon il give it a go.my legacy gtb seemed less fickle to changes,ha ha!!!
Old 12 July 2009, 10:00 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

induction kits should not be fitted unless mapped try doing the plugs first other than that the maf standard airbox needs tu be put back on otherwise a big bill comingb
Old 13 July 2009, 08:27 AM
jvivok1985
Scooby Regular

Default hey

yeh if ur having an induction kit u need a remap as the car will either run rich or lean so probably end up melting a piston, best to stick with standard airbox unless ur gonna have it mapped to suit which with ecutek licence would be minimum £500 but then u could gain about 30bhp havin remap