Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 09:33 PM
ratty69
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days

Hi everyone,

i put a thread on here a couple of days ago asking if there is any race tracks near yeovil that allow you to take your own car round, however i never got any response.

Please can anyone advise on distance to one and the cost.

cheers everyone
Old 30 June 2009, 10:03 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hi ratty, not sure around your area. There is Castle Combe in Wiltshire just between Bath and Chippenham. It would probably take around an hour to get there but would be worth it. It really is a great track as others will agree I'm sure. As for the cost if you pre book and do it on an open track day it's usually around £30 for 5 laps or so. They have a summer performance day in September so you could try then. There is an RS day this Saturday so if your in a hurry you may be able to buy some time. Just an idea.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:12 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hello there,
well I've been on trackdays at Castle Combe and a couple of others. Castle Combe in Wiltshire is my favourite though. On an "Action day" it cost around £35 + a £10 deposit on a crash helmet if you do not have your own. Theres the Summer Performance Action day on the 5th September @ Combe, see Castle Combe Circuit - Events - Action Days for more info. Great circuit, really can't recommend it enough. I had to check were you live roughly and it's approximately the same distance as I travel from Wales to Castle Combe. Just over 60 miles away, so 1-1.5hrs journey time. They also run the "Track days" that are a little more expensive (if that's what you meant) but there a pre-book type of event rather than arrive & drive but either way pre-booked tickets are a must really to guarantee you track time. Hope that's the sort of thing you were after, Gareth
Old 30 June 2009, 10:13 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skooby53
Hi ratty, not sure around your area. There is Castle Combe in Wiltshire just between Bath and Chippenham. It would probably take around an hour to get there but would be worth it. It really is a great track as others will agree I'm sure. As for the cost if you pre book and do it on an open track day it's usually around £30 for 5 laps or so. They have a summer performance day in September so you could try then. There is an RS day this Saturday so if your in a hurry you may be able to buy some time. Just an idea.
Damn my slow typing! You beat me to it.
Castle Combe is awesome though.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:25 PM
ratty69
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the info guys will check it out. Did you get instruction while there or just go it alone? Still learning how to drive the frightening bit of kit without killing myself.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Were do you live?

There are several in the UK, so should be able to find a local(ish) one
Old 30 June 2009, 10:40 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ratty69
Cheers for the info guys will check it out. Did you get instruction while there or just go it alone? Still learning how to drive the frightening bit of kit without killing myself.
You don't get any training at the "Action Days" just a safety briefing before your allowed on track. At the more expensive "Track days" you do get some instruction and some times passenger laps with an instructor before you go on alone.
I've done some driver experience days which are great fun. I was taught by a professional race driver all the correct lines to take (on the given circuit), braking points and a lot of other essential high speed driving tips. These aren't cheap but with passenger rides, driver instruction, class room driving instruction, test (in car & class room based), sometimes photo's & a certificate of completion you get alot more from the experience plus these are usually done in the circuits vehicles and not your own. Castle Combe do these as do most circuits.
I must admit I was bricking it the first time I went on track. It was Castle Combe back in 99 and I had gone up alone. I had a 1992 Rover 1.4si and I was sitting in the pit lane next to a Sierra Cosworth, Morgan V8 and some other cars thinking "What the f*ck am I doing, I'm going to die for sure".
Everything went well, I even over took the Morgan V8. Not as quick as I can do it now mind but I had loads of fun.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:41 PM
ratty69
Scooby Newbie

i live in yeovil
Old 30 June 2009, 10:51 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

My advice is just do it! Listen to the safety briefing, start slowly and build up speed, it's not a race (well you know what I mean). Keep an eye on your mirrors and enjoy. At least your all going the same way! We all have to start somewhere, if you can stretch to it you might prefer to book two sessions. One to get your lines/position sorted out and another to try and build up a little smoothness/speed. You can also go and watch at any action day and watch other peoples driving lines etc.