Notices

Help please oil change

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 07:25 PM
wraggy78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please oil change

Hi guys, simple question, I have owned my my99 type r v5 for a couple of weeks and want to change gearbox oil.
Could someone tell me best way start to finish of doing this as I have never done it before.
Do i take it for a run first to get it thin etc ?
Also any idea of total that i have to put in as im aware its the diff aswell.
Have brought 4 litres but thinking I may need one more ????
Thanks in advance
Old 23 June 2009, 07:40 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

im sure front diff,gearbox is around 4 litres and the rear diff is 0.8 well it is on my legacy so if your doing the rear diff as well then yes you need another one.
Old 23 June 2009, 07:54 PM
wraggy78
Scooby Regular

Nope not doing diff with this stuff.. Yeah im sure i read somewhere that its 3.5 l box and front diff....
Old 23 June 2009, 07:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wraggy78
Hi guys, simple question, I have owned my my99 type r v5 for a couple of weeks and want to change gearbox oil.
Could someone tell me best way start to finish of doing this as I have never done it before.
I'm sure there'll be an FAQ or dozen on this somewhere so Mr Search might tell you all you need to know.

Getting the oil warm prior to dropping it will make it drain quicker and better, although you should leave the car settle for a few minutes after driving, to allow all the cr*p to settle back down by the plug.

Beyond that, loosen the drain plug under the front diff, drain the oil into your favourite container, clean the swarf off the magnet in the drain plug and check both what you remove (and the contents of the oil) for bits of metal big enough to signify looming problems. Replace the plug (maybe with a new crush washer), pull out the dipstick and replace it with a funnel. Top up to an eighth of an inch or so above the top hole with the car level.

You'll need getting on for five litres if you do the rear diff as well, and if you have a Type R you'll also need to check whether what you bought is LSD-compatible.