Notices

My speedo says 5omph and iam going 30mph??

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2009, 09:21 AM
dooda
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My speedo says 5omph and iam going 30mph??

I've just had a clutch fitted from mr clutch Chelmsford which are highly recommended on this site but after about an hour of driving my speedo has some how added 20mph which is really wired.
does any one know wheather its cable or electronic , my brother seems to fink its magenets on the fly wheel has any one had the same issue??
Old 18 June 2009, 09:25 AM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

take it back to them mate,they will sort it for you no probs.They are a great bunch of lads there
Old 18 June 2009, 09:31 AM
dooda
Scooby Regular

yer i was going to but when i spoke to them on the phone they were a bit confused as well co no one ever heard of this before the speedo normal works or not??
Old 18 June 2009, 10:24 AM
david18
Scooby Regular

i worked at mr cruch s..t job lasers........ your brother is right magenets on the wheel did they skim the fly wheel
Old 18 June 2009, 10:28 AM
dooda
Scooby Regular

yer they skimmed it bout it was working fine for about an hour i was just driving around tryin to bed the clutch in so i werent even booting it or any thing just slow driving
Old 18 June 2009, 10:46 AM
david18
Scooby Regular

take it back just say it worked when taken in now not dont take no s..t you paid for it have you checked its cliped in prop but get them to do it it may do your warenty
Old 18 June 2009, 11:21 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

What MY is your Car?
Old 18 June 2009, 11:34 AM
dooda
Scooby Regular

wrx sti on a 95 plate
Old 18 June 2009, 11:53 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Is it a constant 20mph difference? If not sounds like your cars gone back to kmph. Have they disturbed the mph converter? Its mechanical on the early cars isn't it?
Old 18 June 2009, 12:11 PM
dooda
Scooby Regular

dont think so but like i say its just had a new clutch so they might were is it located??
Old 18 June 2009, 04:03 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

firstly it is nothing to do with Magnets on the flywheel.. .the flywheel does not have any magnets and their is no sensor to pick up on it if their were.

The gearbox has a speedo drive, that is mechanically driven, and a cable comes out of the gearbox usually in two pieces.

when in the UK a speed converter is usually fitted in between the two parts of the speedo cable, some are up at the clock end...

But i would hazard a guess at when they removed the box, they took the converter and short section of the speedo cable out with the box, and upon refitting they have not put the cable back in correctly... i would have to assume that due to the speedo working for a short time the converter has since failed, as it is just a selection of drop gears to drop the speed of the top section of cable...usually when it fails it stops all together....

Is it possible the speedo was reading fast from the off, and you just never picked up on it? as it almost sounds like the speed converter has NOT been put back in..
Old 22 June 2009, 02:53 PM
EVILSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by david18
i worked at mr cruch s..t job lasers........ your brother is right magenets on the wheel did they skim the fly wheel
no wonder you was fired there is no magnets on the flywheel!!!

take it back just say it worked when taken in now not dont take no s..t you paid for it have you checked its cliped in prop but get them to do it it may do your warenty
of course we checked this when we done the job. we are proffesionals

Originally Posted by The M@trix
firstly it is nothing to do with Magnets on the flywheel.. .the flywheel does not have any magnets and their is no sensor to pick up on it if their were.

The gearbox has a speedo drive, that is mechanically driven, and a cable comes out of the gearbox usually in two pieces.

when in the UK a speed converter is usually fitted in between the two parts of the speedo cable, some are up at the clock end...

But i would hazard a guess at when they removed the box, they took the converter and short section of the speedo cable out with the box, and upon refitting they have not put the cable back in correctly... i would have to assume that due to the speedo working for a short time the converter has since failed, as it is just a selection of drop gears to drop the speed of the top section of cable...usually when it fails it stops all together....

Is it possible the speedo was reading fast from the off, and you just never picked up on it? as it almost sounds like the speed converter has NOT been put back in..
on this particular vehicle, the convertor is on the back of the clocks and we obviously dont touch this..

his problem is now solved.... it was due to the speedo cable being insecure into the convertor.. wasnt down to removing gearbox..
Old 22 June 2009, 06:28 PM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

david18,you never worked for mr clutch chelsmford and we are a franchise!

what ever you think about mr clutch please dont tar us all with the same brush!

we are not only profesional but also are scooby enthusiasts and have 3 owned by the staff! i personaly have over 20years experience and am the workshop manager!

i can assure you had this been a fault of ours we would of rectified it for the vehicle owner free of charge and apologised!

just a bit of friendly advise for you,if you are goin to try and give people advise on a forum try making sure you have some idea what you are talking about,to my knowledge there is no speedo using magnets driven by the flywheel only sensors for top dead centre or engine speed and the magnets are in the sensor NOT on the flywheel ! i would be interested to hear your explanation as to how a speedo would work when using a magnet attached to the flywheel?????
Old 22 June 2009, 07:35 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Lol, Does this guy think it works like a bicycle speedo or what???
Old 22 June 2009, 08:20 PM
dooda
Scooby Regular

since i posted this thread i've been back to my clutch in chelmsford and i have to say they were very professional and the guys there were very helpfull they are also helping me with a few other problems with the car,(which they didnt have to) i would like to apologies to all the crew there for doubting them and as it turns out the speedo's mph convertor (located on the back of the speedo) was sticking so i oiled with some dw40 and its been fine since.
i think it was just a coincidence that the clutch was replaced and then the gearing on the convertor just dried up so no harm done and again apologies if ive i offended any one.
in regards to the magnets on the flywheel this is common on modern cars especially with electronic speedos and as professional you should know this boys?
Old 23 June 2009, 08:12 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

sorry dooda but unless u can come up with some examples there is NOT anyway a speedo could work off of the flywheel as this would only measure engine speed not road speed mate!!!

not offended us bruv just making a point!!!!
Old 23 June 2009, 09:27 AM
dooda
Scooby Regular

i dont think any car use's it as a speedo cos the speed is measured of the running gear not the engine revelosions, its only the taco that can be measured, but i know some nissans use magenits and sensors for fueling and timing so if the ceramic magenet fell off it would run lumpy and miss fire.

also ive heard that some makes and models use the fly wheel as an alternator also useing magenets and a massive coil?
Old 23 June 2009, 11:40 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

dooda mate , as i said engine speed and top dead centre definately,never heard of an alternator? but most definately not for road speed ie speedo mph/kph
Old 23 June 2009, 05:05 PM
turbomax
Scooby Regular

like my mate used to say!
EVERY DAYS A SCHOOL DAY LOL

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1266776.html

just maybe who knows???????????

Last edited by turbomax; 23 June 2009 at 05:09 PM.