oil contamination from running on 3 cylinder's

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2009, 05:14 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil contamination from running on 3 cylinder's

Hi all,
I had a coil pack come unplugged, and my car was drove around 4-5 miles like this , do you think my oil will be contaminated with petrol and will it need changing , or would it just get evaporated , as i can't smell no petrol in the oil? I only ask as just last week i changed it with fresh 10w-50 silkolene pro-S, and don't really want to have to do another oil change if its not necessary, cheers
Old 16 June 2009, 06:07 AM
Tomonsw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil contamination

MY94 WRX was running on 3 cylinders for about 2000 klms as 1 of the coil packs had failed. My oil was contaminated with fuel as I could smell it upon removal of the oil cap quite badly. I replaced the oil and filter with a good flush. I replaced the coil pack and running on 4 cylinders now....... BUT..... now my o2 sensor has failed, therefore the car is running rich again and I can smell that the oil is getting contaminated again with the excess fuel..... so yep, you guessed it, after recently spending over $100 on an oil change, I have to do it all over again when I replace the o2 sensor!!!! And one of the valve covers has sprung a leak too probably due to the thinned out contaminated oil, and yes, the valve cover above the headers so Im getting a lovely burning oil smell too!!!!

I figure oil change is better safe than sorry.