Getting too hot..

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 12:28 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting too hot..

I have just picked up an M reg Wagon..

on the way home from picking it up, I noticed the temperature going up really really slowly.

If I let off, it would go back down again.

When idling it goes back down to its normal temp and the fan will go off. However I have only tried this once, so I'll double check again today.

But on the whole 140 mile trip home, no oil or water loss?

Anyone got any ideas?

Much appreciated.
Old 05 June 2009, 12:45 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

is it getting into the red? might be worth having a sniffer test done to see if the head gaskets are leaking.
Old 05 June 2009, 12:47 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Right, started car from cold.

With the metal tanks lid off, and there is water being sprayed into there, the harder I rev it, the more water comes in.

Possible thermostat being open constantly?

Or headgasket?

The thermostat looks in a very arkward place, whats it like to change one?
Old 05 June 2009, 12:48 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

The water is coming from what looks like a little hose coming from the radiator and the other one looks like the coolant feed for the turbo??

:S

Forgot to add, I also woke up to a lot of water on the floor?
Old 05 June 2009, 01:08 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any ideas while I'm working on it now?

Thanks
Old 05 June 2009, 03:22 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

its a kinda "unusual" cooling system on these scoobies, awkward bugger to bleed properly sometimes & yes the thermostat is a little awkward to get at.

if your fans are switchin on/off OK thats a good 1st sign

guess would be an airlock somewhere, try adding some rad-flush to clear any potential blockages & top up slowly with engine running, the usual squeezin pipes pipes helps to push pull the fluid around but watch your fingers from spinning belts ewtc.. this is the cheap-o, I hope this works option.

thermostat not opening is also possible but not very likely , unfortunately the head gasket failure is highly possible but I would expect you to loose significant water from the system after a decent run, not when you stop at the end of it.

I had a similar problem some time ago & it was just a bleeding issue, but I was lucky
Old 05 June 2009, 06:16 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

I took it out for a run eariler, quite a hard one. Didnt seem to have lost a great deal of water?

But got back, checked the water, noticed some had gone, then turned around and it looks like its leaking from the bottom of the radiator and the thermostat housing.

Which tells me its either just simply a leak in two places or the headgasket is causing the system to pressurise?

But its just odd how when I first start it there is water literally spraying into that tank just next to the turbo, but its coming from the little hose from the radiator??

I dont get it. As to me its not really showing many signs of it being the headgasket, no oil usage at all, no signs of oil water mixing, no odd white smoke, car doesnt smoke at all.

The symptoms are literally, slight water usage, fan goes on and off as normal, the fan will go off whilst idling, the car can sit there for a good ten mins before the fan comes back on again, which I would of thought if it was the headgasket, it would over heat almost straight away?! and alot of water leaked on the floor and around the thermostat housing..