Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop fan not... fanning

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2004, 06:33 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop fan not... fanning

I posted a while back about my laptop crashing seemingly when it got hot.. After checking round the back of the laptop the fans seemed to be working but there seems to be one small fan to the left of the unit underneath the laptop which doesnt appear to ever spin at all - Is this something I need to be worried about?

Also, how easy is a laptop to open up and have a look as Im comfortable fiddling with desktop machines but have never even opened a laptop.

Cheers

David
Old 27 May 2004, 10:20 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

had the same problem with my works laptop, overheating etc. You could see the fan trying to start but failing. Luckily still under warrenty so sent it away and got it repaired.

Depending on the model of laptop got a manuals / diags that show how to strip various laptops. Drop me a mail if you want
Should be able to source a fan from http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/

Richard
Old 28 May 2004, 08:55 AM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Also some Latops were designed for certain operating systems that control the fan (sneaky). So when you don't install the same operating system the latop overheats because that fan is not being used when needed.

Have a scan round for you're make of laptop and the operating system you are using to see if a small installable program exists to rectify this.