More Catch Tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2009, 02:28 PM
DowdingS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Catch Tank Questions

Hi

I have read loads of catch tank threads and everyone seems to have different opinions so I thought I would explain my situation and seee what people thought.
I have an MY03 STI PPP which has been remapped but apart from that is standard.
I am getting a not insignificant amount of oil in the topmount I/C and in the head breathers leading back to the intake pipe.
I have no idea if this oil is more/less than anyone else.

I thought a ctach tank woulf be the cure so decided to get an RCM kit.

My car is used most days but only covers about 8000 per year. I have never tracked it.

Having read numerous threads about the PCV it would appear that in 99% of my driving the PCV will be drawing the crankcase fumes directly into the manifold to be reburnt. As I understand it the system also pulls clean filtered air ffrom the intake to the head breathers.

As stated earlier I have oil in the I/C and small amounts in the head breathers.

The RCM system has three inputs, one for each head breather and one for the crankcase breather.
Having seen what catch tanks collect in them, a nasty oil/water mix I have several questions.

If I connect it as RCM suggest, block up the PCV and return the caught oil to the sump will the oil/water mix going into the sump cause problems?

If I connected the head breathers to the catch tank, then connected from the "boost" side ot the PCV to the catch tank (leaving the "off boost" part still plumbed into the manifold) would the system still work and hence still circulate correctly when off boost or would the system still try to pull in fresh air though the head breathers?

Any thoughts much appriciated.
Steve

Last edited by DowdingS; 01 June 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02 June 2009, 07:54 PM
Scooby_Stu_
Scooby Regular

Hi. I only fitted my catch can to the crank case breather and left the PCV in place, never got any oil from the head breathers.

Stuart.
Old 02 June 2009, 10:21 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Return to sump system on a standard daily driven car that will see no track work imo is not the best set way to run. I would suggest using the catch can but with out the return to sump feature. The RCM can iirc uses an oil water separator of some description. The return to sump set up is primarily designed for high boost applications that in some instances can be seen to loose a litter of oil through the crank case breather in a single lap hence the importance of return to sump.