Notices

loss of Power problems????

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2009, 10:59 AM
wrx04pro
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question loss of Power problems????

I have a 2004 wrx fitted with the prodrive kit and an aftermarket air filter and BOV, recentley i have noticed a small drop in power and it has not really bothered me as it is due for a service next month as its not had one for a year, around 5 thousand miles.
However yesterday after putting in fuel from a garage i have not used before the power just went!!!
now i know it could be due to a different fuel but this was a dramatic loss of power.... the air filter no longer makes the usual noise of sucking in the air once i rev past 3500, and the BOV no longer makes its usual noise when i change up...... however sat idle if i rev the engine the BOV makes the normal noise.
Has anyone had this problem before??
i was thinking of using some injector cleaner today to try and fix the problem, or is it a bit more serious than that?? TURBO????
Old 31 May 2009, 11:08 AM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

unless its v-power or tesco super u/l get rid of the fuel and refill with VP or TSUL

wouldnt put injector cleaner in myself
Old 31 May 2009, 11:57 AM
wrx04pro
Scooby Newbie

i have used other fuel than V-power and TSUL before and never had this much of a loss in power.... it feels like its running less than 200bhp..... and if it is down to the fuel would this cause the BOV and filter not to work as usual??
cheers
Old 31 May 2009, 12:05 PM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

when my classic had texaco put in it it had symptoms like yours, if its after a refil i think its the 1st thing to eliminate
Old 31 May 2009, 06:57 PM
wrx04pro
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Ok i have put the good fuel in after running it dry to the point where it was cutting out as i got to the petrol station...... still running bad.....its lost around 80bhp and the BOV and air filter are still not working......can anyone help!
Old 31 May 2009, 07:18 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the BOV off for a start, these do more bad then good. Depending on the weather where you are, here it's boiling and i dont give the car any stick as its just to hot. Spark plugs could have gone and you may want to check these if your running close to 300bhp then you will need NGK Spark Plugs x4 PFR7 also depending on air filter fitted check your maf
Old 31 May 2009, 07:40 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a thousand things but from what you are describing, using a lower octane fuel instead of the usual V power for example would definately not give massive power loses that you describe.

My guess, your leaking boost somewhere, if the BOV (im guessing its a Vent To Air one) is not venting as usual then there is not enough boost pressure in the turbo / intake system. Check the BOV seal to the intercooler, check for leaks around turbo and intercooler leading to intake manifold. Get under the bonnet and rev the engine using the throttle linkage and look/listen for any problems.

If its not that, then it could be....

* Spark Plug(s) gone and not firing properly
* Clogged Injectors?
* Inaccurate MAF reading for intake air, faulty MAF? (doubt it but you never know)
* Fuel Pump? (again doubt it)

Let us know what happens.
Old 01 June 2009, 06:13 PM
wrx04pro
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the info.... i havent had time to do the checks you suggested however the problem was still there this morning when i went to work but on the way home it had gone and i was back up to full power?? any ideas why it seems to be Intermittent??