Notices

1998 Impreza Wagon Ver.4

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 02:36 AM
PzR Spanners NB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Impreza Wagon Ver.4

First i'd just like to say hello. I'm new to Scoobynet, and unfortunately not a Scooby owner... yet!

I'm interested in buying an Impreza in the next couple of months, and should have around 5k to spend. I've seen a few that have caught my eye, but cant do much about them just yet. One of the cars i've seen is the 1998 Impreza Wagon Ver.4, which looks great and i havent seen many floating about where i live (which kind of makes it more appealing to me).

I have heard however, that they tend to have a few engine problems once they hit around the 60k mile mark, and this one i've seen has 51k. Could anyone advise if this is infact true, or not that common. Any other known problem advice would be great also, or if you think its a good car to get then please let me know.

I'm not totally set on the Wagon, so if anyone thinks an alternative car (Edit: I meant alternative model of Subaru, not alternative car manufacturer ) would be better, please share your recommendations.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/info given.

-Spanners

Last edited by PzR Spanners NB; 21 May 2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 21 May 2009, 03:52 AM
ESGN
Scooby Regular

Wagons ftw!
Old 21 May 2009, 07:26 AM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

considering where you are i dont think you will get offered an alternative

first thing i would look for is a car with a history, car life depends alot on how they are maintained etc. rag it to death from the word go without letting it warm up on JingJam petrol and i give it about 1000 miles tops but treat it kind and you'll get 10's of thousand of miles
Old 21 May 2009, 08:14 AM
PzR Spanners NB
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hudson
considering where you are i dont think you will get offered an alternative

first thing i would look for is a car with a history, car life depends alot on how they are maintained etc. rag it to death from the word go without letting it warm up on JingJam petrol and i give it about 1000 miles tops but treat it kind and you'll get 10's of thousand of miles
lol...

Maybe i should have worded that part a little better. What i meant to say was "different model" rather than car I think i'm pretty much set on a Scooby, but i'm open to other models if people think there would be something better for the money. I'm no expert when it comes to different models/specs, so i'm not 100% sure what the best option would be.

Thanks for the response though
Old 21 May 2009, 08:24 AM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

Old 21 May 2009, 09:12 AM
Woody69
Scooby Regular

I have a my98

If your gonna be modding you need to know they need a replacement ECU which can be expensive, but well worth the investment

I probably would have gone for a earlier model or later knowing what i know now! But im gonna stick with it, for now