DRIVING LIKE A BAG OF NUTS PLEEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2009, 09:30 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DRIVING LIKE A BAG OF NUTS PLEEASE HELP

COULD SOME ONE PLS PLS HELP SORT THIS PROBLEM I FEEL LIKE I HAVE

I have a 95 wrx it has now been parked up for a week but prior to that it had been running fine.

I came to my mums and and parked up the car fine, then when i was leaving i started car up and drove and when i reached about 3500 revs it started to hesitate immensley , i then changed gear and it drove fine until it hit to 3000 in second its like this in all gears i connected the plugs and it came up with code 32 which on my chart that came with the car when i bought it shows the 02 sensor. on my car it seems to have 2 of these, one is down from the turbo d/p and the other down on the middle section i am not sure what this is for i think its by the cat??

the car seems to rev fine at standstill .

i have replaced the top o2 sensor by the turbo and the problem still seems to be there even after resetting the codes, i am at a standstill and need the car beck on the road for work ...

could some one please please shed some light on the situation as its makin me nuts and dont really wanna take it to a stealer if poss , or if some lives locally that can assisst i would be very grateful thanks.

Also if i do need the second sensor on the middle section of the exhaust any one know where i can get one from. its a lot slimmer that the one by turbo
Old 18 May 2009, 09:40 PM
lomas the great
Scooby Regular

have u made any resent mods
Old 18 May 2009, 09:40 PM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

checked all the boost pipes?
Old 18 May 2009, 09:46 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

I havent made any recent mods and i also forgot to mention that this is my first scoob and i also dont know my way round THIS car, i am ok when it comes to mechanics tho, so if any one can give me advice could you also pls tell me where i should be looking for these thanks v much...
Old 18 May 2009, 09:53 PM
lomas the great
Scooby Regular

i fitted an apxi air fillter and had the same problem, but thats cause water was dripping in the filter and fookin my engine. just a thought
Old 18 May 2009, 09:56 PM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

check for splits in pipes or places where pipes should be.
i've seen loads of scoobs with split pipes around the intercooler area.

ooh, what fuel are you running as a mate put texaco in my old one once and it was very rough
Old 18 May 2009, 10:06 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

been using shell optimax and tesco super and it also has a front mounted inter cooler all pipes seem o be intact could it possibly be the other sensor further down the exhaust?

my air filter is covered fine as the bonnet vents still have the covers on them...... this car is really givin me a head ache
Old 18 May 2009, 10:07 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's causing trouble under load, could be MAF related. Try un plugging the sensor you hav'nt replaced and if its still the same then its that sensor. If not try cleaning the MAF screen and carefully the MAF hot wire itself
Old 18 May 2009, 10:09 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Has it been chipped or had a daughter board fitted, as you have a FMIC
Old 18 May 2009, 10:10 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

hi webby i did dis connect the sensor earlier the one that i havent replaced and it did the same and was no different also how and with what can i clean the maf screen and hot wire thanks....
Old 18 May 2009, 10:11 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

not been chipped or ecu fiddled with webby cheers
Old 18 May 2009, 10:17 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

If its the same disconnected as when its disconnected then thats your fooked sensor. As its running the same either way. If you need to clean the maf , really start with just the screen and then with the HW itself, you need to undo it from the air intake and spray it with a non sticking cleaner, like brake cleaner. Just a quick couple of blasts should do. Dont stick oe prod anything in.
Old 18 May 2009, 10:19 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

thanksfor yr reply webby right i will try cleaning it in morning as for the second sensor does any one know of where i can get one from at a good price or does some one have a spare one its the thinner version to the one by the turbo down pipe thanks
Old 18 May 2009, 10:21 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

If youve got your old snsor, put it in place of the sensor you never changed and see if that works, as it seems strange, but can happen, that both go down. Seems very fuel/emissions related, especially as it happens under load
Old 18 May 2009, 10:23 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

the old sensor is a big fat type one compared to the one further down the exhaust mate i cant see it fitting my friend
Old 18 May 2009, 10:29 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Im sure you can get them for about £48 and less, trouble is your still running a cat and that can throw up probs, but try the sensor and maf first, Also can you get the ECU reset as it will still have the originall fault logged
Old 18 May 2009, 10:34 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

i had simular problems to yourself, MY00 had almost a missfire around the time the turbo clicked in, or sometimes felt like fuel starvation.

After a lot of messing around with various things putting a new 02 sensor on fixed it. Cost around £100.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:00 AM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

i do have a full stainless, and a de cat and a stainless manifold if i was to put a de cat on what will be the benifit for that and also where would the 02 sensor go i have also reset the faults but its still comes back.

also l8 taa which 02 sensor was changed was it the one closest to the turbo or the one by the middle section..
Old 19 May 2009, 01:05 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

You say it was parked up for a week and also has a front mount which leads me to believe you have some form of induction kit? Check the filter isnt wet. It may have had water dripping on it from the vent.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:13 AM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

parked up for week since fault came on mate it was runnin fine prior,i have checked filter and its dry its a k & n but when car comes on road its getting swapped with a hks green filter. also vents are still blanked off with original covers
Old 19 May 2009, 01:15 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

fair enough. Have you taken the filter off and looked inside for dampness. Ive had one that looked dry when i took it off was full of water. just a thought
Old 19 May 2009, 01:20 AM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

yeh turbotits i had it off today and it was dry as i said i have changed the o2 sensor that closest to the turbo but its still driving like theres a wall infront of car after 3500 revs so i will have to check the thinner sensor further down the exhaust and hope for the best. does any one have a spare that lives close by that may wanna sell?? or any idea where i can get one around my sides in huddersfield thanks
Old 19 May 2009, 03:43 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Has your speedo stopped working?
Old 19 May 2009, 10:48 AM
Tomonsw
Scooby Regular

Default 95 wrx

Hi there.

Have you checked your plugs and coil packs? I just bought a 94 wrx and was doing the same thing. Lots of hesitation and coughing and spluttering under load, but would idle fine. After removing my plugs and coil packs, the plugs were gapped too big so I gapped them down and 1 of my coil packs was incorrect for the car and wasnt firing!!! It was exactly the same as the other 3 coilpacks but had a different part number. It was out of a subaru svx and wasnt compatible with the wrx. I knew the cylinder wasnt firing as the plug was soaked in fuel and and there was fuel in the oil. I changed that bad coil today with the correct one and she is running perfect now. Hope you get it sorted
Old 19 May 2009, 11:42 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

The second sensor is not a lamba sensor it is just the cat on fire , this sensor is not needed as when you decat there is no facility for this and you just unplug it as not required , the lamba sensor is ususally in the collector pipe before the up-pipe or in the downpipe after the turbo which you have changed .

Sounds like a coil pack failing under load common on a car of this age first check the plugs and inspect the coil packs for each plug would bet money one has hair line cracks and is failing under load .

Mark
Old 19 May 2009, 06:42 PM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

would it not be a maf????? as i chacked the faults today and it fired up the maf on the CEL then it gave code for the o2 sensor tried it again and then it just shows up o2 sensor again??? any advice please
Old 20 May 2009, 12:04 AM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

well to be on safe side i have ordered a maf for cheap and also have a set of coil packs for stand by but if it was coil pack would it not missfire??? how can you tell when coil pack is gone and is there a how to on the coil pack as my hands way too big to fit down side of block thanks
Old 20 May 2009, 12:51 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b81ggy
well to be on safe side i have ordered a maf for cheap and also have a set of coil packs for stand by but if it was coil pack would it not missfire??? how can you tell when coil pack is gone...
Unfortunately, sometimes it's not obvious if a coilpack is knackered. If they're over c.10 years old, then it's prob wise to replace them all anyway (plus new plugs) - that way you'll rule them out as they'll be good for as long as you'll keep the car. Then, if hesitation's still present, you can then bet it's either Lambda or MAF.

Also, as mentioned earlier, you sure your speedo doesn't stop working when driving?
Old 20 May 2009, 01:01 AM
b81ggy
Scooby Newbie

cool joz the speedo is defo workin but if coil pack was to go would it also not run lumpy on idle mate thanks
Old 20 May 2009, 01:20 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, if any of the coilpacks have broken down then it will hold back or even missfire, etc.

The reson for the speedo idea is that if it stops working, then the gearbox sensor tells the ECU to limit revs to 4.5k rpm - although to be fair your hesitation is happening at 3.5k. But regardless, you've said it's working anyway.

Quick Reply: DRIVING LIKE A BAG OF NUTS PLEEASE HELP