Notices

subaru legacy questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2002, 06:13 PM
adtek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi. my parents recently bought a new 2002 subaru legacy gt sedan. theyve experienced some problems (i.e. noices, vibrations) and have asked and demonstrated them to their dealer at the 1500 mile check. they mechanics gave an extensive overview. i wanted to know if you guys ever had the same problems.

1st: when the car idles it vibrates. the engine idles at a normal speed, about 650-700 rpm. the mechanics said that the subaru is unlike an accord or maxima in that it had rubber engine mounts instead of liquid filled mounts. this makes sense, but i drive a 94 del sol and have driven in a lot of civics, which all have rubber mounts, and they dont seem to vibrate at idle as much.

2nd: at freeway speeds of about 62-67 mph, my parents hear a high pitched noice coming from the drivetrain. they demonstated this for 2 subaru mechanics and they said this is normal. their explanation was that at those speeds the rack and pinion gears are an angle where they create a harmonic resonance. they said that about 1 out of every 150 buyers notice the sound, but subarus have done it for years and there is nothing to do about it.

have you guys ever experienced these problems? do the mechanics' explanations make sense?

thanks alot. adam
Old 03 March 2002, 10:04 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well over here the idle speed can be adjusted using the select moniter if a customer complains about it i set it to about 850 revs the only thing is if you clear the memory it will lose this setting and have to be reset. im not sure about the noise thoughsome early o1my imprezas had a drone like it neede another resonator box or something but a cure came in the form of a damper and new crossmember which cured it and now all new shapes have it. but if it is transmission noise then it's not right on a brand new car i'd push for a new gearbox under warranty.