Notices

MY03 WRX remap

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2009, 03:46 AM
Venom666
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 WRX remap

Ive just bought a standard my03 wrx and heard that remaping it would gratley increase performance. also maybe help fuel economy.
Old 16 May 2009, 04:30 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A few supplementary mods will achieve more potential from a remap. The standard 03 WRX has a pre-cat in the up-pipe (into turbo), a cat in the down-pipe (out of turbo), and in the mid section along with a resonator. Replace all these with decat/deresonated items and consider an uprated fuel pump too. You will also need a Samco (or similar) silicone intercooler pipe as the OE plastic item may split under higher boost levels. To pass roadside and MOT emissions tests it may also be wise to fit a sports cat in the down-pipe, but these are expensive unless you can find a low mileage secondhand Prodrive one maybe from an STi PPP. These mods should see you to 280-290bhp. Fuel economy can be improved depending on how you drive it after the mods. With more power the engine needs to work less hard for the same results, but if you push it even harder you will achieve the opposite.

Once power gets to that level, consider improving the handling with chassis and suspension mods before chasing any more power. At the very least some Eibach/Prodrive springs, Whiteline rear ARB and some solid droplinks. The brakes should be improved with quality pads (Performance Friction, Mintex, Ferodo or Pagid), stainless braided lines and DOT5.1 fluid.

The biggest performance leap you may achieve though would be driver training. It's all well and good having massive power in these awesome cars, and many of us think we are brilliant drivers and capable of fully exploiting their potential. However, over the last 7-8 years I have been involved in this community I have rarely met anyone whom is anywhere near a top level road driver and capable of using these cars near their limits. Good value mod should you choose to do it too, as it stays with you for life !
Old 16 May 2009, 10:38 AM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

The above advice is spot on. I happen to be selling all the bits to get you 290bhp! Interested???
Old 16 May 2009, 10:52 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I agree as well! I have spent all my money on mods and had no driver training. The cars awesome though! lol. Its just that i am not
My fuel economy did change for the better, as did the 'manners' of the car when driven very slowly, in traffic, as well. From new it was very jumpy at slow crawling speeds, and i was most pleased to see that nigh on disappear once the car had been mapped.
But you will end up with the modding bug, then your money will vanish, your life will be spent looking for the next mod, and then before you know it all yer moneys gone!
So, get rid of the WRX and go buy an STi now, trust me, it makes sense, it really does.
Old 16 May 2009, 12:17 PM
Venom666
Scooby Newbie

Well corradoboy that was bloody good advice, the driver training bit to. I was thinking about it the other day actualy. To Benji how much wud the parts cost and to MaDass yeh I hear what your saying about the sti, ive given the same advice to people myself but ive picked up this car quite cheap i think £3500. its done 100k but had an engine recondition last year and has full subaru service history till 2008