Notices

which impreza to go for?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 02:35 PM
Rob-In-Notts
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which impreza to go for?

as most of you know, soon enough, hopefully sooner, lol al be looking for a scooby, once completed the sale of one of my cars.

which model is best to go for really ? engine wise, power wise, which have more problems etc.

heard alot about piston slap, whining transmission, altho nearly every scoob i see is whining in some sort of manner,

also any engines/ecu that can chipped/remaped easily enuf ?

can MBC's be used and to what psi is safe etc?

ive had a read through the forums but still cant get a grasp of it.

P.S. looking on spending about 1.5k at the time , yes may not get a perfect one but i dont mind buying sumet what needs some tlc.

Last edited by Rob-In-Notts; 14 May 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:52 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that money early wrx maybe an early STI.
Early ecus can be chipped or remapped with the aid of a daughterboard but tbh i do think it's a waste of money (you could sav the money and buy a later car)
I have a 93 wrx and it's a bit rough around the edges,stone chips,paintwork needs sprucing up,few dings and dents as the steel is quite thin but since it will be going (hopefully) i'm not spending any money sorting it out BUT every 6 months it has new oil,fluids are checked and mechanically it's sound and to me that's what counts.

i'm using and mbc to just under fuel cut (about 1.05bar for the ecu i'm running) so i'm running a bout 0.95bar set up on a rolling road it's been fine.

Mine has 90k and i've had to replace the gearbox and clutch and the cambelt was stripping itself so that needed doing.As long as the car has been serviced properly then they are very reliable,local garage had an early UK car come in with 280K for it's first engine rebuild ,very unusual but the guy serviced and actually looked after it.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 14 May 2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 05:12 PM
Rob-In-Notts
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers for that blackwrx. also, apart from the lower insurance, are there performance differences between the turbo 2000 and wrx? had it mentioned the brakes are dirrerant, and the turbo 2000 is 200bhp? if so whats a wrx at? i think ive read the sti is about 260bhp aswell