Uprated TMIC

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2009, 11:25 PM
Natas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated TMIC

Hi,

I'm sure someone on here has done this, anyway I'm looking to upgrade my TMIC on MY95 WRX, what other Impreza TMIC will I be able to get to fit?
Also should it be an STI one or a WRX one, as there are a few new age WRX TMIC cheap on ebay.

Any help would be great

Cheers.
Old 12 May 2009, 09:05 AM
JT386
Scooby Regular

the equivalent STI TMIC will fit ok i believe and will be more uprated than standard, the New Age TMIC's do fit but require some modification to fit, See:

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...o-classic.html

this will give you a rough guide of whats involved
Old 12 May 2009, 09:15 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What BHP are you running?
Fitting a new age TMIC to your car involves a fair bit of work. Subject to the power you want to run why not consider a front mount?
Old 12 May 2009, 09:33 AM
scalesy
Scooby Regular

Go Frontmount I fitted one to my 93 ra! You know it makes sense Each to his own and all that! The FMIC is the most efficient way to cool air as it is outside the engine bay. When you think about it you spend more time in traffic than on the open road these days I did not see the point in paying more for sti 8 Inter Warmer my front mount is still ice cold after sitting in traffic or at the Lights! And is also good at High speed unlike the top mount! The Lag is not even noticeable and not even a factor once on Boost and up the Box! In my eye's a bit of a myth. It just does not make sense to put an intercooler over a Red Hot turbo Charged Motor!

Well that's the way I see it As I said each to his own and all that
Old 12 May 2009, 11:19 AM
Natas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james_turner
the equivalent STI TMIC will fit ok i believe and will be more uprated than standard, the New Age TMIC's do fit but require some modification to fit, See:

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...o-classic.html

this will give you a rough guide of whats involved
Thanks mate, I will have a look through that

Originally Posted by harvey
What BHP are you running?
Fitting a new age TMIC to your car involves a fair bit of work. Subject to the power you want to run why not consider a front mount?
Car is running 312bhp, I was going to go FMIC route, I got ripped off by one company that never delivered, then I got made redundant, so I will have to go the cheaper route now by fitting a TMIC I can get off ebay.
My standard TMIC is in poor condition so has to be changed.

Originally Posted by scalesy
Go Frontmount I fitted one to my 93 ra! You know it makes sense Each to his own and all that! The FMIC is the most efficient way to cool air as it is outside the engine bay. When you think about it you spend more time in traffic than on the open road these days I did not see the point in paying more for sti 8 Inter Warmer my front mount is still ice cold after sitting in traffic or at the Lights! And is also good at High speed unlike the top mount! The Lag is not even noticeable and not even a factor once on Boost and up the Box! In my eye's a bit of a myth. It just does not make sense to put an intercooler over a Red Hot turbo Charged Motor!

Well that's the way I see it As I said each to his own and all that
In all honesty I do want to fit a FMIC but after the recent problems I am forced to do this on a budget until such time as I can reconsider a FMIC.

Much appreciated guys, thanks
Old 12 May 2009, 12:16 PM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

The only noticeable difference between impreza OE ic's of the same size is color and the Y-pipe!
So any slanty type will have the same (low) performance as your current one. a MY97-98 and MY99-00 will be a few ponies better and a newage WRX and especially STi one will be even and a lot better. But also more expensive in a rising scale!
And more and more difficult to fit!
Having fit a STi8 IC to a MY98 myself I recommend you to save your cash and effort until you can afford a FMIC. Maybe you can buy just the core and make the pipe-work yourself?
Old 12 May 2009, 06:16 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of interest,what setup did the rally car factory subaru classic run, FMIC or TMIC ?

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2009, 09:06 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
Just out of interest,what setup did the rally car factory subaru classic run, FMIC or TMIC ?
the very early ones ran top mounts.