Notices

Why don't Time Attack cars run Anti-Lag?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2009, 10:50 AM
tarmacsoul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't Time Attack cars run Anti-Lag?

Just wondering why the time attack guys aren't running Anti-Lag? Well at least here in the states they don't.

I understand the side affects of running ALS, but you would think on the TA cars, the throttle response you gain would be seriously beneficial. Especially with the really large turbo's some guys run. I understand also that those turbo's usually consist of very high quality, low friction, bearings and turbine housings sizes designed for response, but are they really enough to overcome all the acompanied lag with running compressors that large?

I could understand also the issue of durability, but here in the states the actual timed run sessions only last about three laps, which on most tracks here isn't usually more then 7 min or so. Also, if not tuned extremely aggressive, I don't think it would be that detrimental (especially for such a short duration).

Is absolute throttle response not that critical because on most tracks, even the tightest turns don't generally allow the engine rpm to drop low enough where the lag is a serious problem? You would think even so, many of these cars aren't finding their power band until somewhere north of 5000 rpm's?

Just another one of my many curiositys lol....
Old 14 April 2009, 11:59 AM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

ALS cause much harm to turbo & headers relating to heat. The gain is not much. I have ALS and apart from bang and pop it does not really achieve much.
Old 14 April 2009, 12:43 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I can't speak for the US cars, but we don't have to worry too much about lag, and would rather concerntate on making an engine/turbo package that has lots of natural low down grunt as well as good power. It may help in some circumstances, but the nature of circuit driving means more progressive application of the throttle, making it not so critical anyway.
Old 14 April 2009, 12:51 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul/Zen

Are you in this years Event??
Old 14 April 2009, 02:19 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be experimenting with ALS just to get a comparative laptime as to whether it makes any difference at all.

I suspect it wont and if anything will make smoother application of throttle harder to achieve and thus slow it down.
Old 14 April 2009, 04:30 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Duncan,
Would be interesting to see how long your turbo lasts if you do "experiment" with proper anti-lag.

I swear to god that Launch Control started my original turbo issues.
Old 14 April 2009, 08:29 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Doesn't "real" anti-lag compromise slowing the car down somewhat ?

O.K. for rallying, but not a big help on a circuit, imho.

dunx
Old 14 April 2009, 08:49 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shaun
Duncan,
Would be interesting to see how long your turbo lasts if you do "experiment" with proper anti-lag.

I swear to god that Launch Control started my original turbo issues.
For a single lap I doubt it will do any harm at all to the turbo. i am more worried about other things. (brakes or lack of being the big one )
Old 14 April 2009, 09:09 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkullFudge
The gain is not much. I have ALS and apart from bang and pop it does not really achieve much.
then your ALS has been setup for show rather than actually doing something!! lol
Old 14 April 2009, 09:18 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A "gentle" 2bar of boost off throttle would gain a "little"!
Old 14 April 2009, 09:26 PM
tarmacsoul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZEN Performance
I can't speak for the US cars, but we don't have to worry too much about lag, and would rather concerntate on making an engine/turbo package that has lots of natural low down grunt as well as good power. It may help in some circumstances, but the nature of circuit driving means more progressive application of the throttle, making it not so critical anyway.
This is pretty much what i had suspected to be the case. Out on the circuit you guys have some more time and space to apply the throttle more linearly, and have less of a need for instantaneous response. Where as in rally I think the immediate response is required for the rapid throttle inputs, as well as often finding yourself in a very slow corner second and sometimes even first, where the engine falls well out of it's natural powerband.
Old 14 April 2009, 09:30 PM
tarmacsoul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
I will be experimenting with ALS just to get a comparative laptime as to whether it makes any difference at all.

I suspect it wont and if anything will make smoother application of throttle harder to achieve and thus slow it down.
I will be interested though to see what your results are with this. I think depending on the track configuration you may get a little more then you think.

Let us know though what the results are with it on vs off and which circuit, as well as how aggressive it is set up.

Last edited by tarmacsoul; 14 April 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 14 April 2009, 10:27 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a single lap I doubt it will do any harm at all to the turbo. i am more worried about other things. (brakes or lack of being the big one )
have you played with throttle positioning when ALS on etc.. as with the drive by wire throttle lots of air brakes is an issue but obviously pro cars usually have dfropped the servo anyway

Simon
Old 14 April 2009, 10:33 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by ChristianR
then your ALS has been setup for show rather than actually doing something!! lol

A lot of the scoobs out there who have the ALS facility from my understanding is that they are running a mild form of ALS - most think its the full ALS simply cause it pops and bangs!

Last edited by JP4; 14 April 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 14 April 2009, 10:56 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
have you played with throttle positioning when ALS on etc.. as with the drive by wire throttle lots of air brakes is an issue but obviously pro cars usually have dfropped the servo anyway

Simon
Not really Simon.

For me it is a great toy to scare the missus and occassional crows from the fields (i like doing my bit to help the farmers).

It would be interesting to see whether it is actually quicker in practice though, although I may well give it a miss at Oulton.
Old 14 April 2009, 10:59 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Not really Simon.

For me it is a great toy to scare the missus and occassional crows from the fields (i like doing my bit to help the farmers).

It would be interesting to see whether it is actually quicker in practice though, although I may well give it a miss at Oulton.
As long as its crows and not COWS!
Old 14 April 2009, 11:03 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Off topic I know, but I got a bit over committed at Oulton in Feb this year in my mates modded Focus RS. I gave it too many beans around the 2nd to last bend to the pit straight, just before the bomb hole. Teach me to drive a FWD as if I had 4WD.... just managed to stop before hitting the armco on the right side facing the way I was coming. Twas a good tank slapper and 360 after hitting the cobbled grass on the left in the wet!

Sorry Duncan, as I know you have a fetish for Armco.
Old 14 April 2009, 11:06 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Off topic I know, but I got a bit over committed at Oulton in Feb this year in my mates modded Focus RS. I gave it too many beans around the 2nd to last bend to the pit straight, just before the bomb hole. Teach me to drive a FWD as if I had 4WD.... just managed to stop before hitting the armco on the right side facing the way I was coming. Twas a good tank slapper and 360 after hitting the cobbled grass on the left in the wet!

Sorry Duncan, as I know you have a fetish for Armco.
that's my corner and pretty much exactly what happened to me... except stopping before hitting.... hmm maybe I was going quicker
Old 14 April 2009, 11:10 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I hope you were.... I was in a 260bhp FWD RS Focus on the ragged edge.... either that or you have no car control!
Old 14 April 2009, 11:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really Simon.

then I doubt it will improve lap time..

but then with shims on your valves you woouldn't want to run big ALS anyay
Old 14 April 2009, 11:19 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I hope you were.... I was in a 260bhp FWD RS Focus on the ragged edge.... either that or you have no car control!
Probably the latter

Yes Simon - std shims, std heads - not really ideal.
Old 14 April 2009, 11:33 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Probably the latter

Yes Simon - std shims, std heads - not really ideal.
maybe stupid question but read something a while ago that v7 onwards sti heads were bucket less(a 1 piece bucket pre shim to size) and only wrx have these seperate shims on the valves ,can any engine guru confirm this

Last edited by maydew; 14 April 2009 at 11:38 PM.